Help! Teen here without a phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobo2

Drug Lord/Dance Mom
Omg. Am here with a 30 person dance team and one of the 2 kids without parents is here phone less. Of course she's the kid no one really likes and her fast passes don't match anyone else's so they lost her already. She's 18. It's day 2. Any ideas? Can I find a disposable or something without leaving property?

Of course she's the kid no one really likes and her fast passes don't match anyone else's so they lost her already.

"No one really likes her"...get some kids who aren't stuck up, mean, full of themselves....are well adjusted, kind, and loving to accept her and hang out with her...jeez just be nice to her.
"OMG" "She's phone less". How shameful. She should bury her head in the sand for not being privileged.

She's 18? I'd say let her deal with it on her own terms. She's an adult. You may be able to get a disposable phone somewhere in DS or across the street at the Hess.

I forgot my Smart phone one day during our last stay. It was a Meh situation once the wife told me to deal with it and have another Mickey bar. the magic band does everything but phone.

All of you are correct. Part of the problem is that she alienates herself. I'd invite her to tag along with me but she would be embarrassed. I adore her mom and am assuming she is teaching her a lesson by not replacing the phone. I don't think you can understand what it's like here without one.

All of you are correct. Part of the problem is that she alienates herself. I'd invite her to tag along with me but she would be embarrassed. I adore her mom and am assuming she is teaching her a lesson by not replacing the phone. I don't think you can understand what it's like here without one.

People got along fine at Disney for a very long time before cell phones were available.

Oh dear did she loose her phone do you know? Is that why she doesn't have one? You can get the tracfones in Walmart or Target if you have a car. I think it would be nice to get her one. Poor girl. It's hard to fit in for some people being without a phone going to make it worse. Indeed I agree show her kindness. We were all 18 once and that kid everybody ignored. No you don't feel like trying to join in you feel scared and rejected and bullied maybe. It's not as easy as older adults think.

You could pick up a cheap one potentially at walmart/target nearby, Ubering there would be the cheapest option.
Otherwise I'd say she probably wants to be off on her own, set up meeting up times with her at specific places and specific times to check in and make sure she's okay. I'd say once or twice a day, that's what we always did when we were at Disney prior to having phones (and even sometimes now, being from Canada, we only have access to each other when there's WiFi, or our phones aren't dead.) Pick a very specific place (ie; in front of the goofy statue in front of Tony's restaurant) instead of like "infront of the castle" to make sure you find each other, high five over being good, and then make on your way again.

OP - Im assuimg that you are a littlemore upset becuae seh is "parentless" and its a sponsored trip? I would be as well!

can you call the mom and have her deposit the amount you will spend for a disposable phone into your account so that you can buy one - soly for the purpose of being able to communicate at the parks?

TO the others - SHAME - So WHAT if she's 18 - phoneless without her parents? That is what the OP is worried about.

I can tell that most of you were the ones that were the mistreaters when you were in school - SHAME SHAME SHAME!

OP - Im assuimg that you are a littlemore upset becuae seh is "parentless" and its a sponsored trip? I would be as well!

can you call the mom and have her deposit the amount you will spend for a disposable phone into your account so that you can buy one - soly for the purpose of being able to communicate at the parks?

TO the others - SHAME - So WHAT if she's 18 - phoneless without her parents? That is what the OP is worried about.

I can tell that most of you were the ones that were the mistreaters when you were in school - SHAME SHAME SHAME!

Which part of "she's the kid no one really likes" made you think that?

Considering the responses from ADULTS on this thread, no wonder she wants to be by herself. Having been both a heavily bullied child and teenager some just prefer to be by themselves, not because they don't like being with others, but are more terrified of how they will be treated. DO YOU EVER THINK SHE ALIENATES HERSELF NOT BY HER CHOICE? Its hard for someone who wasn't bullied to understand the feelings of one who is, or has been, I get that. But just try to imagine coming home crying every day after school for years due to how others have treated you, and given the choice to try to get along with the same girls (tormenters) who will treat you like *#$%$ or staying by yourself and be considered "odd" or "different" and then labeled as one who "alienates" themselves. Who is judging who?

If this was the popular girl I am sure everyone would be all over finding a way to get a replacement phone, or buddying up with her. I just shake my head in disgust at people sometimes.

Jennifer

Last edited:
i'd make her teammates go with her, i can't believe they aren't doing it already, but that's today's society for you.

The problem today is that she has different fast passes as everyone else. And I can't make anyone do anything. I'm not "in charge" of this group. The meeting place today was pizza planet, which isn't there and neither was she. I'm not condoning anyone's behavior. It sucks.

This whole situation is sad, but it doesn't sound like it's really the OPs fault or that she's the one causing it - she's just trying to figure out what to do. "She's the girl no one really likes" sounds harsh, but it sounds like an honest observation. Doesn't mean it's right, it just is what it is.

OP, just do what you can. Tell her you're kind of bored by yourself and see if she'll hang out with you, like she's doing you a favor.

Honestly - some of these responses don't seem grounded in reality. It's not always everyone else. I find it really hard to believe 30+ people aren't interested in this kid or that someone wouldn't be willing to hang out with her without some kind of reason. It only sounds like she mentioned that she doesn't have friends because she was giving a scenario for why her FP were different.

How can you make 18 year olds do anything? Also forcing kids who don't like someone to pair up with that person could lead to even more problems for her. I feel for her but you can't force people to treat someone else well if they don't want to.

As for the phone, I always leave my phone in the room. However if she'd feel better with one then I don't see a problem with getting her something.

This whole situation is sad, but it doesn't sound like it's really the OPs fault or that she's the one causing it - she's just trying to figure out what to do. "She's the girl no one really likes" sounds harsh, but it sounds like an honest observation. Doesn't mean it's right, it just is what it is.

OP, just do what you can. Tell her you're kind of bored by yourself and see if she'll hang out with you, like she's doing you a favor.

Honestly - some of these responses don't seem grounded in reality. It's not always everyone else. I find it really hard to believe 30+ people aren't interested in this kid or that someone wouldn't be willing to hang out with her without some kind of reason. It only sounds like she mentioned that she doesn't have friends because she was giving a scenario for why her FP were different.

I have no doubt there is some truth to that. But the case could have been made without such harsh statements. I would be very unhappy if someone posted something like that about my child on a message board. The OP has her photo as her avatar. It would not be a big stretch to think that someone involved with the team might come across the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter