Help - tDisney's Hollywood Hotel - El Capitan Theatre Sign???

Hawkeye07

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!
This is my first post in a long time on the Disboards (in fact I forgot my login details on my old account :( ) and I was wondering if there were some of you, who could help me with a small annoyance that has been driving me crazy the last couple of years.
I lived in Los Angeles for a year, a couple of years ago and completely fell in love with everything Disney-related in South California, which luckily is a lot. :) However one thing that has really captured my heart is the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, an 1920s theatre, which is now operated by Disney and only shows Disney movies. I have been trying to find out everything possible about this theatre, however there is just one small thing that I've never been able to find.
According to the wikipedia and Disney wiki pages of Disney's Hollywood Hotel in Hong Kong (links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Hollywood_Hotel http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disney's_Hollywood_Hotel)
the hotel is supposed to have an "El Capitan Theatre" sign hanging around somewhere. I've googled it a lot, but I never found any pictures to proof that statement and I have been thinking that it's just a rumor someone put on wikipedia. There are lots of pictures of the El Capitan Sign on the internet, this one's an example since it shows off both marquees: http://f.tqn.com/y/golosangeles/1/S/5/E/-/-/HWDElCapitan005ax.jpg
So, I guess my question is, if anyone has ever seen that sign before or taken a photograph to confirm its existence and would be so nice as to post it here.
It would be really great to finally get some closure in that regard and to see if my favorite theatre has a little easter egg in a theme park far, far away.
I thank you for reading this message and hope that someone might help me with this! :)
Greetings,
Hawkeye07

The closest I saw was at this booth.

I believe that the decoration at the top is taken from the El Capitan and the booth itself resembles the marquee.

Wendy - I didn't see it at night but I think the star lights up. I don't know if it is photo worthy or not at night. If you happen to pass by at night, I'd love a picture! The booth is located on the grounds of the Hollywood Hotel and I have a feeling it could be close to the pool. I don't remember if there was anything marking it with El Capitan around it. There could well have been.
And....there could be another El Capitan sign somewhere else on property. I really didn't go looking specifically for it.

Last edited:
Wow, I have to thank both of you so much for helping me!
First, yes, PrincessInOz, the booth is definitely El Capitan- related!!!! It is a close copy of the ticket booth found in the lobby of the El Capitan (picture can be found here: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4060/4428853738_33a97dc717.jpg).
Second, thank you for your offer, AussieWendy! Hopefully there is a sign somewhere near it. :) Do you think that you could take pictures of different angles of the booth and maybe even one of the booth at night??? That would be so lovely, since I would love to see how it compares to the original one in detail.
Thank you again!
Greetings, Hawkeye07

Will remind myself in my notes to do this for you both. Plan to be at DL til closing both nights we are there but hopefully the booth will be lit up in the evening til later since its in the grounds of the hotel (espy the early closing eve non Halloween night we are there which is the most likely time I will be roaming for piccy-taking).

Thank you Wendy, I think that it'll probably me even more impressing at night! However there's still one thing I would like to ask you to photograph!
I googled the image PrincessInOz posted here and added the search terms "Disney's Hollywood Hotel Hong Kong" expecting to find similar photos from other viewpoints, which I didn't find. Because luckily, I found something much much better!!!! http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/04/dd/72/hong-kong.jpg
If you look at this picture you can clearly see the El Capitan booth in the background to the right of the girls, almost hidden by a tree, but right above the booth is a huge thing that looks a lot like the El Capitan Marquee! So, wikipedia didn't lie after all!!!
So, my last question would be, if you could be so kind as to photograph both the booth and the marquee from as many angles (and as many details) as possible and post them here!
That really would be the fulfillment of a dream 4 years in the making! :genie::genie::lovestruc
Thank you so much in advance!!!
Greetings,
Hawkeye07

Have copied pic in as a reminder and will do my best. Girl reporter on location... Only 2 weeks to go yaay!

Thank you Wendy, I think that it'll probably me even more impressing at night! However there's still one thing I would like to ask you to photograph!
I googled the image PrincessInOz posted here and added the search terms "Disney's Hollywood Hotel Hong Kong" expecting to find similar photos from other viewpoints, which I didn't find. Because luckily, I found something much much better!!!! http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/04/dd/72/hong-kong.jpg
If you look at this picture you can clearly see the El Capitan booth in the background to the right of the girls, almost hidden by a tree, but right above the booth is a huge thing that looks a lot like the El Capitan Marquee! So, wikipedia didn't lie after all!!!
So, my last question would be, if you could be so kind as to photograph both the booth and the marquee from as many angles (and as many details) as possible and post them here!
That really would be the fulfillment of a dream 4 years in the making! :genie::genie::lovestruc
Thank you so much in advance!!!
Greetings,
Hawkeye07

this picture was taken at the back on the hotel, where the pool is and on the way to the sea... hth

Thanks again, Aussie Wendy!
I hope you'll have a wonderful time in Hong Kong Disneyland! :)
And thank you too, netimka for helping with the location of the picture!!! :)

Just updating to say sorry, but no go Hawkeye07 - the big banner stand was not in the gardens any more only the little booth and its lights were out by the time I went wandering one night. Most of the grounds in fact were closed off and items removed - on one side due to the new hotel being built; between the hotel and the harbourfront (no access at the moment) as they are digging up the space between the two-I guess maybe to lay utility pipes for the new hotel?; and on the other side by the loading bays/storage sheds/whatever for some other several story new building. All that is left of the grounds is the pool and the Hollywood sign with hoarding beyond. I took a pic of the little booth for you and only realised when I got back it captures the same as PIO angles - guess I should have took it from all sides for you but the back sides looked the same as the side you can see - just bare. I would wait until the new hotel is finished and the grounds reopened and see if someone then can have a look for you as they may re-add stuff back into the grounds - or include it in the new hotel depending on its theme.

Attachments

• DSC09576 small.jpg
    DSC09576 small.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC09577 small.jpg
    DSC09577 small.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter