Help taking my 91-year old grandmother to Disney

DrAndreaDoesDisney

Mouseketeer
My DD9 asked for her birthday to take my entire family to Disney World including my 91-year old grandmother. My grandmother is in great shape, but there is no way she can walk the parks. I need to rent her a scooter (which she is reluctantly agreeing to). I have been to Disney a zillion times, but never with someone on a scooter.

Could you help me with these questions?

1. Do I have to register her for a disability access card? Does this mean that we go through a different ride entrance? Do I still book the fastpasses?

2. We are staying off property. What is the easiest way to get her close to the park entrance?

3. Do you have any other advice for me?

THANKS!

My DD9 asked for her birthday to take my entire family to Disney World including my 91-year old grandmother. My grandmother is in great shape, but there is no way she can walk the parks. I need to rent her a scooter (which she is reluctantly agreeing to). I have been to Disney a zillion times, but never with someone on a scooter.

Could you help me with these questions?

1. Do I have to register her for a disability access card? Does this mean that we go through a different ride entrance? Do I still book the fastpasses?

2. We are staying off property. What is the easiest way to get her close to the park entrance?

3. Do you have any other advice for me?

THANKS!
1 no most lines you can take thenECV through the few will have wheelchairs you can use. Most of the lines you go thought what every line you have ( FP it standby a few like 5 in all of Disney have a different entrince normally the exit. For these the CM will give you a return time to come back. Yes book your FP unless you just really like standing in lines

2 ask to park in the medical over flow itnis right be hind the handicap spots

Rent the ECV off site most will break down in a few peace and can be out in the back of an SUV or car.

Have a great time

1. DAS is not meant for mobility issues. There needs to be an additional non mobility related reason she couldn't wait in a standard line. A scooter or wheelchair would be the recommendation.

2. Not sure. Advice given in the post before mine is probably best.

3. I might consider a wheelchair over a scooter, personally. If she's never driven a scooter before, there may be some issues with that. If she has, ignore my comment. And you know her better, and would know how quickly she'd be able to adjust to driving a scooter. Also, wheelchairs can be taken in more lines the scooters. Granted, if the scooter can't be taken in the line, there should be a wheelchair to transfer to, but a wheelchair might be easier and would mean less transfers. There are a few lines where even a wheelchair can't be taken through the normal line, and for those, you'll be given a return time and go though a different line.

Last edited:
Biggest advice I can give is see if there is a company near you that would rent the model of scooter you are renting (I would strongly recommend renting from Gold Mobility in Florida, they are truly incredible and will deliver to all hotels in the area) and have her practice for a few days with it.

You know her best but if she is like my MIL was at that age, a scooter would have been too much for her to operate in the park but a wheelchair would have worked well.

I haven't traveled with someone of her age or possible needs but a few thoughts... Yes you'd want to book fast passes regardless for her and your entire party. Depending on the weather during your visit - would she be able to handle the heat? Does she have mobility issues that would limit her ability to get in out out of the wheelchair and/or the rides? You may want to stick to rides where she could stay in a wheelchair if so. If she has other needs besides mobility ones, then definitely talk to guest services about them and see how they can help her out. You might also want tips on places where she may enjoying waiting in the a/c if she wants to take a break or isn't riding things? I'm not sure if she wants to be in the parks all day or would prefer to stay for a few hours and then relax in the hotel/house.

It's wonderful you're taking her - what a great family trip! :)

I have a good friend who is 92 and my aunt is 93. Have also dealt with my friends' parents who were in their 90s. You need to make sure that you do not overtire your GM. For most people in that age bracket there may be serious issues with fatigue even when just being pushed around in a wheelchair for a few hours.

And many times the elderly person does not want to admit how exhausted they are. Three to four hours in a park may be their limit. I know it's hard to fathom how someone can get tired just sitting - but believe me it happens.

At 91, if she is reluctant about the scooter, I would go with a wheelchair. I am a lot younger and it can be stressful and exhausting driving a scooter. You have to constantly be alert and stop quickly when people stop or dart in front of you. Driving the scooter thru some of the lines that zigzag tightly can be challenging. It is easy to bump into a post if you are not concentrating closely.

1. As others have stated, the DAS is not for mobility issues, including walking long distances. For rides that load guests in wheelchairs/ECVs at a different spot than the regular queue, the CM at the entrance will direct you to the proper place.

2. Are you asking for a place to drop her off? There is a guest drop off spot at each park, (not sure if HS is done with parking lot construction and has it designated with signs?) ask at the tollbooth for directions.

3. At age 91, she's going to need some extra care - plenty of shade, sunscreen, water, and breaks, IMO. I think a wheelchair would be better than an ECV, as it takes a lot of energy to drive an ECV in crowded places like WDW.

I have a good friend who is 92 and my aunt is 93. Have also dealt with my friends' parents who were in their 90s. You need to make sure that you do not overtire your GM. For most people in that age bracket there may be serious issues with fatigue even when just being pushed around in a wheelchair for a few hours.

And many times the elderly person does not want to admit how exhausted they are. Three to four hours in a park may be their limit. I know it's hard to fathom how someone can get tired just sitting - but believe me it happens.
Yep and then there's the person I met at Disneyland that was over 100 and rode Indiana Jones over 20 times in the day (slow day), so you never know.

Yep and then there's the person I met at Disneyland that was over 100 and rode Indiana Jones over 20 times in the day (slow day), so you never know.
There was a woman who lived at my dad's INDEPENDENT living senior complex who was 104. She used to play the piano for the residents at night.

But all in all it is a good idea to watch out for fatigue with the elderly and medically fragile guests.

Thank you for the advice. My grandmother has an issue with her knee....is that considered relevant for a DAS? She is not your typical 91-year old. She still drives and is totally with it cognitively. She has a better social life than I do. Her only issue is she can't walk long distances because her knee bothers her.

No need for the DAS, an ECV or wheelchair would handle it fine.

As I suggested if you go the ECV route, the one thing I would do is have her practice with one before going. Preferably with the same model you will be renting, but if that isn't possible, go to Walmart and the like and have her use the ones they have for practice. It will help her at least feel more comfortable with the idea of using one when you go.

Again, definitely rent off-site, Gold Mobility is great and yes it seems like we are all shills for them these days, but I cannot overemphasize how great they really are. And call them and talk with them, they will help guide you to what will fit your situation the best and they won't try to sell you something that is more expensive just for the sake of making money, if the cheaper option is better for you that is what they will recommend.

Due to the sensors being put into the Disney scooters, I cannot recommend renting in the parks, off-site is the only way to go right now and be safe.

Thank you for the advice. My grandmother has an issue with her knee....is that considered relevant for a DAS? She is not your typical 91-year old. She still drives and is totally with it cognitively. She has a better social life than I do. Her only issue is she can't walk long distances because her knee bothers her.
That would be a mobility issue, so no, that wouldn’t be relevant for a DAS. If she will use an ECV, that will meet her mobility needs.

No if it is just her knee no DAS needed as an ECV or wheelchair will be all she need

If you insist on a scooter over a wheelchair: You can try scooters at grocery stores and such for free. It may be good to get in some practice. Also, maybe do a zoo locally where you can rent a scooter. See how she does with crowds and a park that way. It still will be harder at Disney. This will help to see how long her endurance is, too.

It's good to alternate shows and eating with doing rides. This provides a rest period.

Grandma will enjoy Disney World better I feel in a wheelchair for a couple of reasons. First, there's no stress with the crowds and using a scooter. Second, she can smell the roses. She can relax and just view and take it all in. If she wants to walk at times she can use the wheelchair as a walker. Just make sure you get one that will fit in your transportation vehicle. Finally, she can take a nap anytime in the wheelchair.

Does she takes naps on a regular basis at home? What time does she get up usually? What time does she go to bed? You will want to try to keep her regular schedule as much as possible. It would be the same with her eating times.

1. She needs a wheelchair
2. Your group needs to be prepared that she is not going to go to every ride with you. Someone needs to be prepared to sit with her or take her back to the hotel. Someone needs to be ready to take her to the bathroom and wait for her. Your group might be flexible enough to do this or may need a designated person or designated shift.

I'd go with the wheelchair. It does free the person sitting to take in the views. And your DD can carry on conversations with her as you roll along. As long as someone is able to push her, I think it would be the easier way to go.

Also, if she has issues with her knee, she may need help getting in and out of some ride vehicles. We strategically place my mom between other adults when she comes with us for that reason. One to pull her up from outside the vehicle, one to lift her from behind (that would be me - she'd rather have her daughter push her butt than her SIL put his hands there ;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter