Help support equality...

ConcKahuna

<font color=darkorchid>Corn was on sale, 10 ears f
This was found by soulmates over on the GLBT boards, but since many people don't go over there (or may not even know about them :rotfl2: ) I thought it would be good to share over here.

Based on the Great American Boycott (a.k.a. "A day without a Mexican"), December 10th will be a similar boycott for Gay rights. People are encouraged to call in Gay to work, only spend money in gay-friendly establishments, and volunteer with the community in the name of gay rights awareness.

You of course don't have to be gay to participate, anyone who supports equality for all Americans is welcome :thumbsup2

http://daywithoutagay.org/

This was found by soulmates over on the GLBT boards, but since many people don't go over there (or may not even know about them :rotfl2: ) I thought it would be good to share over here.

Based on the Great American Boycott (a.k.a. "A day without a Mexican"), December 10th will be a similar boycott for Gay rights. People are encouraged to call in Gay to work, only spend money in gay-friendly establishments, and volunteer with the community in the name of gay rights awareness.

You of course don't have to be gay to participate, anyone who supports equality for all Americans is welcome :thumbsup2

http://daywithoutagay.org/

I'm sorry, I don't get that part?

Umm... pretty sure there's nothing in my employee handbook that covers "calling in gay". I don't think most employers would allow you to use your sick time for that.

Besides, it seems counterintuitive to me. Why would you want "being gay" to be the same as "being sick and unable to work"?

Besides, it seems counterintuitive to me. Why would you want "being gay" to be the same as "being sick and unable to work"?

It would be more of calling in a personal day then calling in sick.

I work in theatre. Calling in gay would get my butt kicked by my gay colleagues. ;)

Sorry, I had to tend to some things, and scrape my jaw up off the floor, and reflect on this matter and whatnot.

The kindest thing I can say here is that this, as a gay rights effort, does not fit very well over the Day without a Mexican template. That's actually an inspired response to a prevailing sentiment, "send them all home", the premise being - ok, they're not here anymore, they're gone. Happy now?

Gay rights is a different matter altogether. Forget being kind - pull that stunt on me at work on that day, "sorry, can't work today, I'm gay!" and I'm writing just your happy *** up. Times are tough, businesses are trying to run on shoestrings, and I frankly just don't see what your message is or how this is going to generate any sympathy. It generated my splitting headache just minutes ago - a bad sign. I'm questioning what the people who planned this event have in mind here - do they want to move forward, or do they just like divisions and controversy? Seriously?

Sorry, I had to tend to some things, and scrape my jaw up off the floor, and reflect on this matter and whatnot.

The kindest thing I can say here is that this, as a gay rights effort, does not fit very well over the Day without a Mexican template. That's actually an inspired response to a prevailing sentiment, "send them all home", the premise being - ok, they're not here anymore, they're gone. Happy now?

Gay rights is a different matter altogether. Forget being kind - pull that stunt on me at work on that day, "sorry, can't work today, I'm gay!" and I'm writing just your happy *** up. Times are tough, businesses are trying to run on shoestrings, and I frankly just don't see what your message is or how this is going to generate any sympathy. It generated my splitting headache just minutes ago - a bad sign. I'm questioning what the people who planned this event have in mind here - do they want to move forward, or do they just like divisions and controversy? Seriously?

When I have been told by co-workers, church leaders, and heads of the country that if I don't like how things are done in my state in regards to civil rights I have to move to a state that allows it, it's actually very similar.

I guess I just don't understand why you need to call in sick/gay/whatever to accomplish this. Why is it my employer's fault?

If it's important enough to do all those other things (volunteer, support businesses, etc)... shouldn't it be important enough to do it on your own time instead of on your employer's time?

Take some time on your day off to make a difference. To me, that's when it means the most.

When I have been told by co-workers, church leaders, and heads of the country that if I don't like how things are done in my state in regards to civil rights I have to move to a state that allows it, it's actually very similar.

no, that's too easy. I'm sure that actually happens, people move, but as an argument it's completely lacking and could apply to anyone. Want free health care? Move to Canada. Want abortion to be illegal? Move to Italy. Taxes too high in your state? Move to a different one. Want English to be our "official" language? Start with getting out of El Paso or Santa Fe or El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles. Etc.

no, that's too easy. I'm sure that actually happens, people move, but as an argument it's completely lacking and could apply to anyone. Want free health care? Move to Canada. Want abortion to be illegal? Move to Italy. Taxes too high in your state? Move to a different one. Want English to be our "official" language? Start with getting out of El Paso or Santa Fe or El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles. Etc.

Wanting free healthcare is a bit different than wanting the right to be able to see my partner of 7 years should he be put in the hospital. It's a lot different than a couple being together for 35 years and one person being left with nothing when the other dies because they don't get any of the legal rights of married people.

In the 60's, when states made inter-racial marriage illegal, many people were forced to move to other states to get married, or they would get arrested. It wasn't until Loving vs Virginia in 1967 that all states were forced to allow people of different races to marry. All we can hope for is to spread awareness and hope for a similar situation.

Wanting free healthcare is a bit different than wanting the right to be able to see my partner of 7 years should he be put in the hospital. It's a lot different than a couple being together for 35 years and one person being left with nothing when the other dies because they don't get any of the legal rights of married people.

In the 60's, when states made inter-racial marriage illegal, many people were forced to move to other states to get married, or they would get arrested. It wasn't until Loving vs Virginia in 1967 that all states were forced to allow people of different races to marry. All we can hope for is to spread awareness and hope for a similar situation.

But again, why is that your employer's fault?

But again, why is that your employer's fault?

You could always just schedule the day off if you don't want to call in.

Part of the reason for taking the day off of work is to show your employers that they do have people who are affected by these issues. For example, did you know that in nearly all parts of the country you can loose your job if your employer finds out you are gay?

I kind of thought the idea was to see what the workplace would be without those who are gay and those who support them...lacking lots of great people! :)

How am I supposed to support the Gay friendly businesses if they all took the day off?

There are several large corperations that do a lot to support local gay communities.

Here are 10 large ones you can support:

Xerox Corp.

James Firestone said:
Respecting employees as individuals and providing them with appropriate support systems and benefits helps make Xerox a great place to work for employees, and makes the company itself smarter, stronger and better… workplaces across the country are becoming more and more inclusive. At Xerox, we don’t see domestic partner benefits or fostering an inclusive atmosphere as an option or "nice thing to do", but as a business imperative strengthening our ability to attract and retain qualified and diverse professionals.

American Airlines

Debra Hunter-Johnson said:
Our partners at GLEAM, our valuable gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered employees and our dedicated Rainbow Sales TeAAm [have the] integrity and loyalty in striving to make our workplace and community respectful for all.

Nike Inc

Gina A. Warren said:
In addition to Nike's GBLT Employee Network and partner benefits program, we also support several organizations serving the GBLT community through our corporate giving. It's our belief that this passion for honoring diversity at Nike will help us continue to build an inspired workplace that recognizes and respects every individual and community.

Coors Brewing Co

Leo Kiely said:
Coors is deeply committed to a diverse, broadminded, and inclusive workplace in which all employees are valued and respected. We are very proud of our leadership as a company within the GLBT community and its diversity. We have strong corporate values that include all of our employees and are proud of our achievements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter