• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! St.Thomas to St. John w/Jeep Rental

3Adevas

Mouseketeer
I need advice and insight before I try to reserve a jeep rental in St. Thomas!

We are cruising The Fantasy in 19 days and really really really want to do St. John when we get to St. Thomas. There are a total of 6 ships in port in St. Thomas the day we are there. We are scheduled in port from 8am-4pm.

I checked online and Budget has a jeep rental for 58$ with my AAA rate. When I figure the cost of taxi to Red Hook ferry from Havensight dock for 3 of us, plus Red Hook ferry to Cruz Bay fare, it comes to a little over 100$ round trip to do St. John via taxi/ferry. That does not count any taxi fare for getting around to see the sights/beaches in St. John!

So, my question is, it is a no brainer to just rent the jeep in St. Thomas, drive ourselves to the Red Hook ferry and pay the car barge 50$ round trip right?! Then we can drive all over wherever we want in St. John, stop for as many breathtaking overlooks and pictures we want, dip in the water and snorkel a bit, and so on.

I am just a bit nervous about the whole thing and would like a little bit of advice and reassurance that this is a feasible plan for St. Thomas/St John. I appreciate any feedback......now tell me what I need to know ASAP PLEASE!! :rotfl2:

I need advice and insight before I try to reserve a jeep rental in St. Thomas! We are cruising The Fantasy in 19 days and really really really want to do St. John when we get to St. Thomas. There are a total of 6 ships in port in St. Thomas the day we are there. We are scheduled in port from 8am-4pm. I checked online and Budget has a jeep rental for 58$ with my AAA rate. When I figure the cost of taxi to Red Hook ferry from Havensight dock for 3 of us, plus Red Hook ferry to Cruz Bay fare, it comes to a little over 100$ round trip to do St. John via taxi/ferry. That does not count any taxi fare for getting around to see the sights/beaches in St. John! So, my question is, it is a no brainer to just rent the jeep in St. Thomas, drive ourselves to the Red Hook ferry and pay the car barge 50$ round trip right?! Then we can drive all over wherever we want in St. John, stop for as many breathtaking overlooks and pictures we want, dip in the water and snorkel a bit, and so on. I am just a bit nervous about the whole thing and would like a little bit of advice and reassurance that this is a feasible plan for St. Thomas/St John. I appreciate any feedback......now tell me what I need to know ASAP PLEASE!! :rotfl2:

That is one of the best ways to do it (and what we are doing in June - although not on a cruise) - rent a jeep in St Thomas & ferry over to St John. Be sure your auto insurance covers it AND that the rental company allows u to take the jeep to St John.

We will be in glorious St John for 9 days in June & will rent a jeep at the airport in St Thomas & ferry over. I've not done it for a cruise stop yet.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I've done St. John twice from the Fantasy. Renting a Jeep sounds like a great idea. Keep these items in mind though. Renting a car will cut into an already short port day. You will have to pick it up, gas it up and return it. That could take up to two hours of your time. Driving to Red Hook is not for the faint of heart. St. Thomas and St. John are very mountainous. There are VERY steep hills and switch backs and the roads on St. Thomas are not well marked, plus they drive on the other side of the road on both islands. You will also need to check the car ferry schedule to make sure it is running when you need it. If it is already full (which every time I've seen it, it has been), you will have to wait for the next one. That could be a problem on the return trip. I don't want to discourage you, but renting a car definitely adds a layer of complexity.

I have no advice but wanted to say hi. We are on the same cruise with you and will be doing the Trunk Bay Excursion.
:wave2:

I've done St. John twice from the Fantasy. Renting a Jeep sounds like a great idea. Keep these items in mind though. Renting a car will cut into an already short port day. You will have to pick it up, gas it up and return it. That could take up to two hours of your time. Driving to Red Hook is not for the faint of heart. St. Thomas and St. John are very mountainous. There are VERY steep hills and switch backs and the roads on St. Thomas are not well marked, plus they drive on the other side of the road on both islands. You will also need to check the car ferry schedule to make sure it is running when you need it. If it is already full (which every time I've seen it, it has been), you will have to wait for the next one. That could be a problem on the return trip. I don't want to discourage you, but renting a car definitely adds a layer of complexity.

I'm sure it costs more, but I recommend hopping over on the ferry to St John and renting a jeep there. St John is a fabulous small island to view by jeep and check out the many cool beaches and views of BVI and St Thomas. I wouldn't risk waiting to get the car ferry and wasting that time. Look for the donkeys amongst the trees on the sides of the road. We pulled over and one came right to our window.

Lemess said:
I have no advice but wanted to say hi. We are on the same cruise with you and will be doing the Trunk Bay Excursion. :wave2:

Hi!!! Wish we could just do the trunk bay DCL excursion but DS is only 4- DCL min age lists 5 for it :(

Maybe we will see ya over there as we do our own adventure :)

Slappy32 said:

Thank u so much for your thoughts....I don't at all think you are discouraging! Why you listed are all thoughts that have crossed my mind, and sparked me to start this thread so you gave me exactly what I was looking for :)

I'm not as worried about what will cost more or less as I am about 1) maximizing our time on St John 2) safety 3) freedom to explore in our own. I am also trying to consider how many other people will be waiting at the car barge with their jeeps, since there are expected to be 21,000 passengers (6 ships) in port at St Thomas!

I'm sure it costs more, but I recommend hopping over on the ferry to St John and renting a jeep there. St John is a fabulous small island to view by jeep and check out the many cool beaches and views of BVI and St Thomas. I wouldn't risk waiting to get the car ferry and wasting that time. Look for the donkeys amongst the trees on the sides of the road. We pulled over and one came right to our window.

This is the way we've done it in the past. Actually, I've never thought about renting it in St Thomas and bringing the car over.
Things that I'd think about in your approach.
Are there as many car ferries as passenger ones? (would you be stuck with more specific times)
Some ferries go to/from Charlotte Amalie, which maybe easier to get to. I agree it is sometimes a pain to get to Red Hook.

I love St John and would definately go there as opposed to St Thomas.

pandas138 said:

Thank you for the reply! I have also thought about the getting the jeep on St John after taxi and ferry from Red Hook. My mind is boggled with what would be best...cost aside. One thing I am thinking about is the jeep for me DH and DS 4 is the taxi and no car seat thing. Budget rental hooks me up with a car seat for 5$. But you are right about picking up, gassing, an returning the rental in St Thomas and the whole wait with the car barge thing- especially with 6 ships in port :scared: I have researched the car barge schedules and would definitely leave St extra early to be safe w returning to ship on time.

Decisions decisions!!! What to do?! And need to decide and plan soon...can't believe we are down to 19 days!! ! Lol!

Silverfox97 said:
That is one of the best ways to do it (and what we are doing in June - although not on a cruise) - rent a jeep in St Thomas & ferry over to St John. Be sure your auto insurance covers it AND that the rental company allows u to take the jeep to St John. We will be in glorious St John for 9 days in June & will rent a jeep at the airport in St Thomas & ferry over. I've not done it for a cruise stop yet. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thank u so much! Great thoughts! Auto insurance is covered and checked w credit card co today- they told me to waive budgets collision and damage waiver and pay in full with my cc, they will cover:)

9 days on St John sounds wonderful!!! Im sure after our 1st visit next month, we will want to plan a vcay to just there and spend real time
Exploring the National park!!!

jnsma said:
This is the way we've done it in the past. Actually, I've never thought about renting it in St Thomas and bringing the car over. Things that I'd think about in your approach. Are there as many car ferries as passenger ones? (would you be stuck with more specific times) Some ferries go to/from Charlotte Amalie, which maybe easier to get to. I agree it is sometimes a pain to get to Red Hook. I love St John and would definately go there as opposed to St Thomas.

Thank you for your reply! There are 3 car ferry barges and all are only leaving from Red Hook. 1 of those companies lists departures every half hour to and from.

We are definitely going to St John, just a matter of HOw we will do it..so many things to consider!

MinnieLovesMickey12 said:
Another place you can get advice on the Virgin Islands is the Virgin Island message board on Trip Advisor.

Ok great! I'm going to check that out. Thank you!!

We rented from Amalie car rental (recommended on tripadvisor!) in St Thomas. They delivered a brand new jeep to us and we were off to the Red Hook ferry in mere minutes (did the paperworkonline ahead of time.) Ferries are frequent...just be sure to only buy one way fare...that way you can come back on whichever of the three ferries are available when you arrive at the dock. St John is beautiful...and, like you, we loved the ability to drive around at our own pace. Both Cinnamon Bay and Trunk are gorgeous...snorkeling is awesome at Lamesure and the ramshead hike is a terrific adventure. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

We rented from Amalie car rental (recommended on tripadvisor!) in St Thomas. They delivered a brand new jeep to us and we were off to the Red Hook ferry in mere minutes (did the paperworkonline ahead of time.) Ferries are frequent...just be sure to only buy one way fare...that way you can come back on whichever of the three ferries are available when you arrive at the dock. St John is beautiful...and, like you, we loved the ability to drive around at our own pace. Both Cinnamon Bay and Trunk are gorgeous...snorkeling is awesome at Lamesure and the ramshead hike is a terrific adventure. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for your reply! I am reading that a taxi ride from Havensight to Red Hook is 17-20min. So how long did it take you in the jeep driving to Red Hook Ferry? I figure since we will be driving as slow tourists maybe allow more like 30-40 min? Can't wait to see beautiful St. John!

I have no advice but wanted to say hi. We are on the same cruise with you and will be doing the Trunk Bay Excursion.
:wave2:

We are also on this same cruise. Which Trunk Bay Excursion are you doing? We are contemplating on doing the snorkeling one (don't know the exact name) but we don't snorkel. We want to do it just for the ease of using a DCL-sponsored excursion to St. John. If we do this excursion we'd probably just swim instead of snorkel.

The drive to Red Hook is 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. The more cruise ships in Port, the crazier. We were amazed at how many vehicles they cram onto a single ferry...and be warned, you back on. The whole system seems to work fairly well, so try not to stress, like I did. :scared1: Have fun!:cool1:

The drive to Red Hook is 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. The more cruise ships in Port, the crazier. We were amazed at how many vehicles they cram onto a single ferry...and be warned, you back on. The whole system seems to work fairly well, so try not to stress, like I did. :scared1: Have fun!:cool1:

Sounds fun lol! 6 ships in port, so we are already expecting crazy:rotfl2:

We are also on this same cruise. Which Trunk Bay Excursion are you doing? We are contemplating on doing the snorkeling one (don't know the exact name) but we don't snorkel. We want to do it just for the ease of using a DCL-sponsored excursion to St. John. If we do this excursion we'd probably just swim instead of snorkel.

Hi. :wave2: We are doing the St. John Trunk Bay Beach and Snorkel Tour. My friends who are frequent cruisers kinda of scared us away from doing anything not Disney sponsored. My husband really wants to see the underwater snorkel trail. Snorkeling is not really my thing so I will just watch our youngest on the beach. :beach:

So I booked online for a jeep to pick up at the Havensight cruise dock with Budget rent a car. I chose the prepaid fuel option, figure even if it costs a bit more we save time and energy and don't have to stop at the 1 gas station to refill when we get back to St. Thomas to turn the jeep in.

I am just a bit worried about something though.....Budget reserved my jeep online, without asking for any type of credit card or payment to hold the reservation....this is odd to me. It just says "Pay at counter" This worries me because I do not really feel this is a "reservation" if they ask nothing of me in advance. With 6 ships in port, I have a fear of showing up at Budget and them saying "Oh we are sorry, we are all out of jeeps" Any thoughts? Should I call the direct # to Budget @ Havensight to make sure they have my online reservation and WILL have a jeep waiting for us?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter