• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Split stay at POR/BC or full stay at AKL

wood414

Earning My Ears
We have booked the split already for a stay in May (3 days POR, then 4 at BC), but there are several factors that play in to my consideration of AKL full stay:
1. We love AKL - stayed last year and absolutely love it. Never stayed at POR or BC.
2. We are taking an infant this year - will the split be too much with a really little one?
3. will the remote (and quiet) location of AKL be better for the little one?

We are now a family of 5, with 3 boys (9,7,<1). We've never done a split before and want to try all resorts eventually. I toil over this decision daily - I know that rooms are still available for our spring discount at AKL, but I cannot decide:scared:

all suggestions are good ones!!

We have booked the split already for a stay in May (3 days POR, then 4 at BC), but there are several factors that play in to my consideration of AKL full stay:
1. We love AKL - stayed last year and absolutely love it. Never stayed at POR or BC.
2. We are taking an infant this year - will the split be too much with a really little one?

We are now a family of 5, with 3 boys (9,7,<1). We've never done a split before and want to try all resorts eventually. I toil over this decision daily - I know that rooms are still available for our spring discount at AKL, but I cannot decide:scared:

Not sure how much this will help, but here goes!

Factors I would consider:
1) BC proximity to 2 parks vs AKL bussing to all parks. Depending on your park plans this could be key with the little one!
2) We LOVE AKL/AKV which is SO relaxing. Lots to do at the resort if you find yourself there. Pools are terrific but then again so is SAB
3) We have not been to POR so no comments there :)

We have done split stays and have had no issues. A little planning and it will go smoothly. Have a GREAT TIME!!

We are a family of 5 as well (ds9, ds5, dd4). And we've been to both. They Loved both resorts. BC (walk to epcot, boat to HS, walking around boardwalk, and THE POOL), POR (a little quieter, ole man island, boat to DD)

I haven't been to AKL yet (can't wait to), so I really can't compare, but my 'instinct' would be to do POR/BC - you already did AKL, you Want to try all the resorts, and you picked 2 good ones.

Good luck

... want to try all resorts eventually. I toil over this decision daily - I know that rooms are still available for our spring discount at AKL, but I cannot decide:scared:

We also want to try all resorts eventually (except for the values) .... and only have the Poly left to try. With 8 deluxes,4 moderates and only visiting WDW once a year, we figured it would take a very long time so a split stay seemed to be the way to go. We've really enjoyed our split stays over the years ... and cant imagine a trip without it. We usually stay at our favorites plus a new one ... last year we got to try the CR/CL Magic Kindom View.

With 3 kids, one a baby with a ton of paraphernalia I would not do a split stay for that short of a trip, that's a lot if packing & unpacking. I'd just pick a resort and enjoy. We've stayed at all if them, and they are all great.

With young children and an infant, I would think packing up to move would be significant and the time taken to move to the new resort would be better spent enjoying your vacation. Just my opinion.

I think SAB at BC is a great pool area, but a little harder to watch your children from the chairs. You almost need to be with them in the pool, harder to do with an infant.

I suggest choosing one of the resorts and staying there. We like POR and the boat to DTD is fun for the kids as well. If it is a split or AKL, I would go with AKL. Do the split stays when the kids get a little older and need less supervision.

I think it comes down to the inconveniences of packing up for a split stay vs. buses with a little one. We have stayed at BC and AKL (with infants) and usually split a stay. Are you planning on using the Disney transportation? If renting a car, I would choose staying put at AKL. If relying on Disney transportation, there is much to be said for the ease of getting to Epcot and DHS from BC, especially with a stroller.

It's not fun busing everywhere with small kids and a baby. I would suggest BC/ POR but moving isn't easy with little ones either. How about renting points for a BC villa and just staying there? Sometimes renting points gives lower prices plus you would have laundry facilities - convenient with a baby.
OR
Have you considered WL? It is very similar to AKL but is close to the MK with a boat ride as an option to the bus (Even better is the CR Garden wing, if affordable).

Of your original 2 options, I would go with POR/BC. The one time move would be easier then everyday on the buses, IMO.

We did a Crazy split stay for christmas 2012 with a 1 and 3 yr old.
AKL,WL,VB,OKW in 8 days.

It wasnt too bad for packing/unpacking because we knew we had to move and packed luggage based on location vs people. (1 bag per location vs 1 bag per person.)
I am super organized and used bell services to move everything including the christmas tree we setup.
Was it fun? Kinda.
Was it an adventure? YES it was awesome.
Will I do it again? I hope not because the 1 yr old is 3 now!!

I liked the bus ride from AKL for nap time, The boat from WL for adventuretime, the beach/Christmas buffet at VB and the laid back feel of OKW to just relax.

I thought it was harder to work with the crowds with little ones then the moving.

I would stay at AKL. I think switching resorts with a baby would be a lot of work. You also won't be able to stay at AKL once your youngest is 3 so you might as well enjoy it now and try the others when your kids are older.

I would go with your original instinct. Sounds like you would love both!

We have always done a split stay and my youngest is just now 2 yrs. all it takes is creative packing (one suitcase for this part/one for the second part) and you are fine. Disney makes bringing wee ones so easy since you don't have to bring the pack & play with you.

But you will always find people who will tell you it is a bad idea. I think it just depends upon how you are wired....you either handle change well or consider it a bad thing. If you already booked a split, go with it. I think you'll have a great time!

I would think that all that packing up for two short stays would not be worth the work to just try two different resorts. There is no way I would choose to do that even without a baby personally.

The AKL is nice; I've stayed there 3 times. Plus, the other children may love it if you can get a bunk bed room! My kids liked that the 2 times we had the bunk beds!

I'd personally choose one resort and stay there. That way you can fully unpack and settle into the space.

With an infant, though, I would rather have the space of some sort of suite or two rooms. There may be times the baby is waking during the night. Have you considered looking into the AKL villas or the Boardwalk or Beach Club villas? Even a one bedroom would give you a separate bedroom for baby, plus the sofa sleepers are super comfortable and queen size. I've rented from redweek but also know a lot of folks rent points too.

Since you haven't stayed at POR or BC before, I say stick with your split stay!! I love POR it is beautiful! I want to stay at BC in the future. I think you'll like the proximity to Epcot and HS from BC as well!

We did a split stay last time, my recommendation would be to move over to the other resort on a break day, or just like a chiller day?

You guys are awesome! I didn't really consider things like inability to stay at AKL after the baby is 3 (unless a villa) or increased difficulty in watching kids at SAB. We will have our vehicle there, so no real issues with transportation. I never had an issue with the buses at AKL last year, but I'm sure a baby throws a curveball in there.

Every time I read a new response, my mind changes a little...the good news seems to be that I can't make a wrong decision:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter