Help solve this debate! Can you put your arms up on Space Mountain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay fellow Dissers DH and I have been debating this all day long. :rotfl:

He insists that you can NOT put your arms up the whole time on Space Mountain without risking getting hurt. He says in the tunnels that his fingertips hit the top of the tunnel. For the record he's 5 ft. 11 in....so not a giant.

I know I have held my arms up the entire time but I'm only 5 ft. so I doubt I would hit anything.

So tell me folks...is it really that risky to hold your hands up the whole time? Anyone care to prove one of us wrong? :lmao:

Eh, I'm going to say that putting your hands up on Space Mountain is something that you are absolutely capable of doing; but since it's a "Wild Mouse" style ride, you probably shouldn't. :laughing:

I'm 5'4 and feel like my hands are going to get knocked off on Space Mountain. eesh. But my dad is like, 6'1 and he's put his hands up for the entire ride to prove to me that nothing will happen... it didn't help my fear but there you go!

6'00'' and i ride with my hands up everytime... but i dont really put them all the way up. i kinda chicken out and do a half way biceps out to the side and 90 degrees at the elbows with my hands to the heavens like this guy lol :worship:

You can not get hurt, can not touch. That is part of the illusion of danger on most any coaster.
This.

I highly doubt for insurance purposes and common sense, that disney would build a coaster or any ride for that matter that would run the risk of someone losing any of their limbs
And this.

Roller coasters will always have enough clearance for outstretched limbs, but often give what's called "the headchopper effect". Space Mountain is no different.

I'm 6'3" and have put my arms up on the ride.

Thanks Dissers! :goodvibes Looks like I lost the debate though...since he claimed that you CAN touch in the tunnels and many of you stated that you could as well. Darnit couldn't you have lied so I could have that gift card! :rotfl:

Sounds crazy, I know, but several years ago (pre-refurb?) I had my hands up in the tunnels (I am 5'8") and the tips of my fingernails were sheared off in a blunt fashion...go figure!

I bet that makes typing on the DIS a bit tricky... :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Thanks Dissers! :goodvibes Looks like I lost the debate though...since he claimed that you CAN touch in the tunnels and many of you stated that you could as well. Darnit couldn't you have lied so I could have that gift card! :rotfl:

Well maybe he'll take you with him to help him spend it! :rotfl:

DH tried this our last trip, and could only touch the top of the tunnel. He also tried it on Thunder Mountain, and found that you can indeed touch the animals that overhang the tracks. There have been tons of jokes in our house about riding rollercoasters and getting smacked by a possum :)

DH tried this our last trip, and could only touch the top of the tunnel. He also tried it on Thunder Mountain, and found that you can indeed touch the animals that overhang the tracks. There have been tons of jokes in our house about riding rollercoasters and getting smacked by a possum :)
True story. I have inadvertently received possum high-fives a couple of times.

LOL! I'm 5'7 and I would never put my hands up on this or any ride but next time I'll see if I can at least reach the top of the tunnel. :)

A friend of the family has done some design work in conjunction with Intamin Amusement Rides. He said in a nut shell that rides are designed to give the illusion of danger when you put your hands up, with there actually being an infinitesimal risk of injury. Rollercoaster’s are designed with plenty of clearance for even the tallest rider to ride with no fear of their hands being injured.

I’m 6’2” (and change;)) and I put my hands up with my 8 year old daughter on every coaster we ride, I’ve never came close to touching any part of the ride structure (but like many have said, I can touch the top of the tunnel on Space Mountain:thumbsup2).

I've always raised my hands, but my last trip in October was the first time I was tall enough to touch the top of the tunnel (I'm 5'8"). I continued to raise my hands until about halfway through the ride when my fingertips whacked against something at the bottom of a hill. No blood, no cuts, but it stung pretty bad and scared the daylights out of me. Never raising them again!

Woah, that's a blast from the past, nearly 5 years old...

Odd that your finger tips hit something DisneyWorldGeek, especially considering others much taller had no issues. Glad there was no injury.

Happy travels.

If there was a risk, there would be height restrictions. I've been on plenty of coasters in other places that do not allow someone PAST a certain height (it's usually something like 6'5" or other unusual height.)

You're fine on Space Mountain.

I am 6'10'' and the thought of riding this ride scares me... I wonder if they will let me ride it or if I will be even comfortable doing so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter