help sleeping on the cruise

newbycruiser

May you live as long as you want and want to as lo
We just came back from our first cruise and loved it! We would like to book again, but I had trouble sleeping on the ship. DD and DH were fine, but I was up every night.

I wasn't sea sick, in fact I took a Bonine, but I still could feel the motion of the ship.

Anyone have any suggestions for helping me sleep? Sleeping pill? I had a drink and that didn't help.

The stuff in Benadryl and antihistimes makes me drowsy, but then I get too dried out!

Anything natural? Valerian? Trytophan?

help!
gail

Did you feel sick to your stomach or just uncomfortable with the rocking?
I have never had sea sickness but it did take me a while to get used to sleeping on a ship. Our first two cruises (on other lines) I was very restless...then I started to get used to the creaks and rocking and by our first DCL trip I loved sleeping on the ship. Now at home when I am restless I try to picture the ship an how the gentle rocking felt to help me sleep.
What I would suggest if it is not a sea sickness feeling is to do imagedry before you sail and picture the waves and listen to ocean tapes to lull you to sleep. Once you "accept" the movement of the ocean it is almost hypnotic! If that does not help my mother in law swears by valerian root and my best friend takes melatonin, both are natural sleep aids that seem to help them a great deal.
As I said it did take me a few cruises to get used to the rocking but now I wish I could have that every night.. hey maybe DCL could sell a "bed rocker" to make addicts feel like they are still on the ship?

Getting used to using a white noise machine at home and bringing it to the ship might help. I used one because my husband snores, and I have a portable one for travel. But I generally don't have trouble sleeping onboard, especially when there is motion, because it rocks me to sleep!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com
Fight apathy...or don't!

, but I had trouble sleeping on the ship. DD and DH were fine, but I was up every night.

I wasn't sea sick, in fact I took a Bonine, but I still could feel the motion of the ship.

Of course you are going to feel the motion of the ship, that is what being on a ship is all about. I find that the more the ship rocks, the better I sleep. Just try to relax and let the ship rock you to sleep.

Also if you weren't seasick, why take the bonine? Any meds you take could make it hard to sleep. Each person reacts differently to the same med.

sue

I had a drink and that didn't help.

I can never have just one drink on the cruise. All the drinks are so yummy. I guess with the drinks and staying out till one, I never had problems sleeping. :p

I'm a VERY light sleeper and noise keeps me awake, but the ship's movement did not.

My husband uses melatonin (a natural supplement found in health food stores) to help sleep as he travels a lot and jet lag is an issue for him. I don't think there are any side effects and he thinks it helps. Of course he says a scotch with it doesn't hurt either. ;)

I also tend to stay out late on the cruise and had no problems sleeping once I hit the sack. :)

mmmm..the thought of the ship rocking me to sleep is relaxing me already.

But next time don't take the Bonine as the reaction to it could have kept you awake and have 2 or 3 drinks.;)

Joanna

thanks for all your replies, I'll find something that works.

I have a white noise machine, because my DH snores too!

I took Bonine because I didn't know what else to do! I thought maybe it would magically take the rocking boat feeling away!

The rocking wasn't lulling me to sleep, your're right, AnnMorin, I should just relax and just feel one with the ocean, but it wasn't working. I like the ocean and can fall asleep at the beach, but this seemed to me like a hard rocking back and forth, not a gentle lull.

I think I will take Valerian or melitonan, I'm open to natural things, and I think if I just get something to take the edge off and not be so cognizant of movement, it should do the trick. At least I wasn't sea sick!

gail

We were so tired by the time we got into bed that the rolling seas that last night only kept us up for maybe 10 minutes.

I usually take tylenol pm if I am excited and can't sleep.
the only thing I have to be sure to do is take it when I am actually able to go to sleep rather than still being up. The window where it works for me is pretty small, and If I get stuck on the phone or something then it's useless.

I use Ambien 10mg perscribed by my doctor. I work off shift hours and must sleep during the day. Ambien will give you a 6-8 hour restfull sleep, without the drowsy side effects from non-perscription drug (Tylenol PM, etc.)

Whatever you use, be sure to get used to it before your next cruise. I tried Ambien and it turned me into a complete zombie the next day. It all depends on your body chemistry. I eventually ended up using trazodone for my chronic insomnia. Also, alcohol may help you fall asleep, but it won't help you stay asleep. It actually inhibits restful sleep.

Self-hypnosis might work. Good luck!

Hi,

I've done several cruises, and the advice I've been given is to choose a cabin in the middle of the ship on the lowest deck, where the motion of the ship as not as pronounced. The worst place to be is at either end of the ship (think of a see-saw).

Problem with the lower deck is, you'll probably be near some engine room or other and then it would be noisy!

Good luck

Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter