Help!! Rent points or wait on code?

suzieq1005

Earning My Ears
I'm new to this message board, but I need help. I'm taking a trip from July 24-Aug 2 with my husband and 2 children. I have yet to get a place because I've been waiting on a good deal. The more I read, the more I get confused. I've heard about the renting points and on codes. The problem is, if a code does come out within the next few days I don't even know if I can use it...and renting points is all new to me, but $10 a point doesn't sound like the greatest deal.

Have you thought about an annual pass? The discount is out for that. Might be worth looking into for the 10 nites your looking at you need 1 ap pass only for the resort discount. You do not have to have a pass when you make the arrangments, you can talk to cro and find out if its a good deal or not and if its available yet, (any left?). We are going Aug 5 > 23 rd and on an ap rate its a great discount!

MKY :D

I doubt there's going to be a code coming out for July 24, that's 2 weeks away! The AP rates and the FTP for that period have been out for a long time. It's probably too late to rent points for a DVC unless someone has a last minute cancellation. Do you belong to AAA or Disney Club? Other than an AP, that maybe your only discount.

DebbieB-thanks for the help! I hadn't thought of an ap, I'm really not familar with that?!!

suzieq, I was waiting for codes also but I finally decided to rent points for our first night and got a good deal from someone that had expiring points. I spoke with them for about an hour today and checked their ebay record and I felt very comfortable with them if you will send me a private message I will try and put you in touch with them, it would help you out if their is availability at least thru 7/31 which is when their points are due to expire and they were renting points for only $5 a piece. Let me know if I can help otherwise the AP rate would be the way to go.

Here's what I would do- Call and ask if there are any AP rates available for your dates and the level of resort you want. Then if there are book it right away, you don't have to have the AP to book, you'll need to present it at check-in. For 10 nights an AP is well worth it, especially if you get a room discount.

I agree that you are running late on renting points. There is someone on the DVC board who just tried to book DVC for part of your stay and could not get all of their nights.

I also agree that there are probably not going to be any more discounts between now and your stay. So the AP is your only options (or AAA).

Personally if I were you I would book now. You are already running a risk of not getting what you want and Disney is not like other hotels they don't tend to "deal" with last minute reservations. (They tend to want to charge rack rate and more often then not get it!)

go look on the DVC rental/trade board

there are generally deals listed - look the last 10 days before you make a decision

then offer the person less - they can say no - but they might say yes -

Hi.. I am VERY new to this, too. I had a reservation at OKW resort for October and the price was $560 a night even after I mentioned AAA or other discounts. The operator told me to book the room and call back later if I found a discount and they would apply it to my rate. Granted, this is still 4 months out, so I am sure there might be deals approaching. The total for 4 nights was something like $2, 300. I looked up how many points I needed to rent with the points calculator and I needed only 128. So, even at $10 a point, I was able to get this same reservation for $1,280. I have a good Ebay reputation and located someone who did, too. I payed via Paypal and am waiting for the confirmation. It was relatively easy. Hopefully nothing will go wrong. I saved over 50% and I doubt any discount will save me more than that. Just thought I'd share my story from one beginner to another. These boards have saved my vacation and wallet! My husband is thrilled! Good Luck!
Tiffany

Originally posted by mkymouse4ever
Have you thought about an annual pass? The discount is out for that. Might be worth looking into for the 10 nites your looking at you need 1 ap pass only for the resort discount.

I'm pretty sure the deadline for AP rates through Aug 23 has long passed.

steve

AP rates usually don't have a deadline like code rates do. According to mousesavers, the 7/4 to 8/23 AP rates are still available.

Missytiffy, Hello we live in OP, KS. also. Congratulations on renting points thats great, we also rented points and we are getting 2 studios for one night for only $70 a piece and no extra tax or anything. I'm so excited.

DebbieB is right, AP rates do not have an expiration date. They may sell out, or the resort maybe be booked, but that is usually the only reason you could not get one.

Case in point: last year while on vacation in august, we were unhappy with the swan, and wanted to move (change) resort at last minute, I called cro and asked "what is open at an ap discount?" and was given my choices of what was left at that short of a notice. ;) no problems!

Good luck, MKY :D

Can anyone help me with how to find people selling points on EBAY? I tried searching a few ways and cannot seem to find anything. Thanks~

Originally posted by Figment78
Can anyone help me with how to find people selling points on EBAY? I tried searching a few ways and cannot seem to find anything. Thanks~

Did you check right here on Disboards yet? There's the DVC forum and the DVC rent/trade forum?

steve

I don't think there is any availability in DVC resorts for the time period you are looking at. You waited a bit too long. Even though someone may have points, there may not be any rooms available to book using those points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter