• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help - Prices in school holidays

I have never said or implied that the Education Act is null and void, but frankly I have said enough on this subject, and I see little point in carrying this on any longer. It's become very wearing, and that's not why we are here.

kristieuk said:
I have never said or implied that the Education Act is null and void, but frankly I have said enough on this subject, and I see little point in carrying this on any longer. It's become very wearing, and that's not why we are here.[/QU I have to agree with everything you have said.my daughter goes to one of the top 50 sacondary schools in the uk. and she had two weeks of school last october with the schools blessing she did very well in her exams and i plan to take two weeks of again october 06 when she will be in sixth form and my son will be in year 9.

If you can hold your nerve, it is possible to do it cheap in the summer holidays.

My Travel had an offer a few weeks ago, flying from numerous airports...I priced it up for 2 adults 2 kids, flying 2 days before the start of the summer holidays...flights and car...wait for it...£865!! I wasnt looking to book (we are going in October, taking DD with permission for 3 weeks - one half term :) ) but interested to see what was available. My son I think, isnt so academic as my DD and I probably wouldnt take him out during term time, so future planning! He doesnt start school till 2007, so still a few years of cheapies yet!

Even Virgin were doing a "Kids fly free" during July and August this year, so I think the key is to wait and book it nearer the time. If you can be slightly flexible on dates and maybe take your DD out for a day or two before or at the end of the holidays there will be bargains to be had.

rob@rar.org.uk said:
The law states "full-time" education. I'm not sure how else that could be interpreted other than every day?
So does a "full-time" job mean that you go in every day?

carl_w said:
So does a "full-time" job mean that you go in every day?
If you want a full-time salary, yes! My employer expects me to go in every working day. The obvious exceptions to this are when I'm too ill to work, and when I used my holiday allowance for time off. Does your employer allow you to pick and choose when you go to work?

rob@rar.org.uk said:
Does your employer allow you to pick and choose when you go to work?
Well yes actually, but only coz I own the company. But even when I was a "proper" employee I could choose when I took my holidays.

carl_w said:
Well yes actually, but only coz I own the company. But even when I was a "proper" employee I could choose when I took my holidays.

:rotfl2:

Please, can we all bail out now - before someone comes to blows? :rotfl:

carl_w said:
For those people who work in education that is a luxury that they dare not dream of!

rob@rar.org.uk said:
For those people who work in education that is a luxury that they dare not dream of!
Agreed, but they're not the only people who work "full-time". Indeed you could argue that they don't work "full-time" at all ;) ;) ;)

carl_w said:
Agreed, but they're not the only people who work "full-time". Indeed you could argue that they don't work "full-time" at all ;) ;) ;)
One could try, but then they'd be wrong ;)

Independent studies have shown that the long hours worked during term-time balance out the long school holidays, so on average a teracher will work about the same number of hours per year as people in comparable jobs.

Regards

Rob

rob@rar.org.uk said:
One could try, but then they'd be wrong ;)

Independent studies have shown that the long hours worked during term-time balance out the long school holidays, so on average a teracher will work about the same number of hours per year as people in comparable jobs.

Regards

Rob

Much as I hate to add to this thread, especially at this controversial time, I have to say that I disagree with Rob ;)

Having been married (and subsequently divorced from - as he was always flipping working ;) ) to a very good, and conscientious, teacher I have to say that many, worth their salt, work way more hours than many others in comparable jobs :rolleyes:

Having seen the preparation that goes into a days' / terms' work I wouldn't care to swap places and, as a nurse, I had my own workplace trials I have to say :rolleyes1

alisonbestford said:
Much as I hate to add to this thread, especially at this controversial time, I have to say that I disagree with Rob ;)

Having been married (and subsequently divorced from) to a very good, and conscientious, teacher I have to say that many, worth their salt, work way more hours than many others in comparable jobs :rolleyes:

Having seen the preparation that goes into a days' / terms' work I wouldn't care to swap places and, as a nurse, I had my own workplace trials I have to say :rolleyes1
It's not really me you're disagreeing with (I don't have anywhere enough personal experience to draw this kind of conclusion). You're disagreeing with a couple of international management consulatancies (PriceWaterhouseCoopers and Hay McBer) both of whom have done extensive research into the working patterns and demands of various grades of teacher. They found that although working 55+ hours per week was typical, when you take into account the 12 weeks holiday per year the average number of hours worked in a typical year was broadly comparable with similar professional groups. Of course, these are average figures so we will all know individual teachers who work less and some who work more than the average, but taken across a stratified sample of schools and teachers this was the main finding. I can let you have links to the relevant reports if you want to know a bit more, but that will have to wait for a couple of weeks as I fly to Orlando tomorrow :cool1:

Regards

Rob

LOL, no thanks Rob :flower:

The last thing I need to see are reports ;)

Life is too short to dwell on statistics - proven or otherwise :rolleyes:

12 years of working in an Onchology hospital, and subsequently marrying an ex patient, has more than proved this to me :love:

Our life plan now, as a family, is to 'go for gold' - and we do :goodvibes

Have an absolutely fantastic holiday and why the heck aren't you busy packing....? ;)

alisonbestford said:
Have an absolutely fantastic holiday and why the heck aren't you busy packing....? ;)
Thank you :teeth:

All packed, checked-in with BA's online service (got our favourite seats), tidied the house, mowed the lawn, done the bins, given the cat an extra cuddle, double-checked our annual passes are in the 'important bag'... I think we're all set!

Regards

Rob

rob@rar.org.uk said:
Thank you :teeth:

All packed, checked-in with BA's online service (got our favourite seats), tidied the house, mowed the lawn, done the bins, given the cat an extra cuddle, double-checked our annual passes are in the 'important bag'... I think we're all set!

Regards

Rob

Don't suppose you could have a word with DH re pre-hol preparation..........? :rotfl2:

They're all my jobs normally - 'cept we don't have a lawn and we have a dog rather than a cat.... :rolleyes1

Say hello to Minnie for DD please ;)

alisonbestford said:
Don't suppose you could have a word with DH re pre-hol preparation..........? :rotfl2:

They're all my jobs normally - 'cept we don't have a lawn and we have a dog rather than a cat.... :rolleyes1

Say hello to Minnie for DD please ;)
To be fair to Mrs rob@rar, she did most of the house tidying (and cleaned the drains for some obscure reason :confused: ) so it was a team effort.

rob@rar.org.uk said:
To be fair to Mrs rob@rar, she did most of the house tidying (and cleaned the drains for some obscure reason :confused: ) so it was a team effort.

Now, there's a woman after my own heart. I cleaned the drains too - we go away next Mon ;)

Obscure? Probably but it had to be done :teeth:

OK, I'm not going to get all serious on this thread. I don't come online to be serious most of the time :cool1: .

I'm a teacher so obviously my holiday dates are set in stone - always the most expensive times. Pet hate but I'm lucky enough to get lots of holidays so I can't really complain.

Question - can anyone figure out a sneaky way for me to be able to leave a couple of days before the end of term, so I can get cheap flights? The kids probably wouldn't notice I was gone anyway so that's not an issue. They're usually hysterical by then :rotfl2: . May have a problem with my boss though.

I do think it's very unfair to suddenly shoot up the prices at school holidays. It's not costing them any more to fly the planes, they are just taking advantage of a captive audience/consumer. It's not like they really need any more profits after all!

Well, I'm off to plot my wicked plan to escape end of term, without getting the sack :maleficen .

Louise

you could ring in sick. fake an illness/death/funeral in the family. or all three that might buy you two weeks off. (use the same fake person)

tell them you have chickenpox/measels/something contagous. obvioulsy dont let on your going away.

set fire to the school (when its empty) or leave in the teachers you dont like.

put a few windows through or leave a tap on.

hey its nothing the kids wouldnt do.

love

lucy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter