HELP!!! Pregnant dog has fleas what to safely use

Jasminesmommy

<font color=red>My dh pops the can for me<br><font
I have a 22lb Lhasa Apso who is about 35 days pregnant so at the half way mark and has fleas and a irrated rough spot at lower back by tail. What is safe to use to get rid of them? Everything I read says ask vet before using. I have Hartz 3 in 1 foaming Shampoo that I used on the other dog but worried about using on her. Anyone know what to use. What about her back sore?

Also what is safe to use on cats and works well and what do I do about my house?

Flies or fleas? Either way, since she is pregnant, definitely take her to the vet. Anything over-the-counter could be dangerous to the puppies, much like OTC medications for pregnant humans. She may need antibiotics for the sore, and the vet will have solution to the fly/flea problem for all your animals and your house.

do you mean FLeas???
Well if so, you can use Frontline Plus and pregnant dogs. Says so right on the package. I use frontline on all my animals.. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats.
If you put frontline on cats, you have to get the frontline MADE for cats, don't use the dog frontline on them.
Frontline Plus works EXCELLENT. It's quite expensive though. It's about $120/year for each pet.

I would never use a Hartz product, ever! They KILL many animals a year.

Consult your vet, please.

I interned at a veterinary hospital in my high school year. We had several dogs come in that were poisoned. Turned out all their owners had used Hartz flea control products.

Frontline. Do not use that garbage from Hartz!!! Plus, it stinks!! And it is oily and nasty.

All dogs should be put on a flea and tick regimen from the time you get them as puppies..it should never be because you found out they are infested with fleas/ticks. Fleas and ticks carry A LOT of parasites, and can be deadly. Always start your dogs young on flea and tick prevention.

Until you get ahold of your vet, this is what I've done for puppies that I have temporarily kidnapped. Try a flea comb, a towel, a bowl of soapy water, and patience. Make sure it's gentle soap.

Frontline Plus. And a Capstar. (double check on the Capstar) Then treat you home and your yard. If your dog comes inside, and she had fleas, then you have fleas in your home. Use a product with an insect growth regulator (IGR). Knock Out is the brand the clinic I work at carries. Re-treat your home every 2-3 weeks for 3 or 4 treatments. A single flea can lay thousands of eggs. :(

ETA: If you don't follow through with the subsequent treatments, you are wasting your time and money. You have to break the flea life cycle and the pupa stage is almost impossible to kill with anything that is even remotely safe to have in your home.

ALSO - I agree Hartz, BioSpot and other OTC flea treatments are almost worthless. They tried to sell those products in veterinary clinics years ago. They didn't work then and they aren't any better now.

Frontline. Do not use that garbage from Hartz!!! Plus, it stinks!! And it is oily and nasty.

All dogs should be put on a flea and tick regimen from the time you get them as puppies..it should never be because you found out they are infested with fleas/ticks. Fleas and ticks carry A LOT of parasites, and can be deadly. Always start your dogs young on flea and tick prevention.

Why not focus on the solution? I don't disagree with your assertion, but she is looking for help, not criticism.

I have a 22lb Lhasa Apso who is about 35 days pregnant so at the half way mark and has fleas and a irrated rough spot at lower back by tail. What is safe to use to get rid of them? Everything I read says ask vet before using. I have Hartz 3 in 1 foaming Shampoo that I used on the other dog but worried about using on her. Anyone know what to use. What about her back sore?

Also what is safe to use on cats and works well and what do I do about my house?

I certainly hope that as a responsible breeder, your pregnant ***** is being seen regularly by a vet for prenatal visits. Especially a toy dog, a breed that often necessitates a c-section.

Just ask your vet during your next appt.

I certainly hope that as a responsible breeder, your pregnant ***** is being seen regularly by a vet for prenatal visits. Especially a toy dog, a breed that often necessitates a c-section.

Just ask your vet during your next appt.

She was seen and groomed 2 weeks ago and I specifically asked about fleas and they said she had none. They lied.

She was seen and groomed 2 weeks ago and I specifically asked about fleas and they said she had none. They lied.

Who lied? The groomer or the vet?

Since you are 35 days into the pregnancy, now is about time to get an ultrasound to make sure everything is going ok. Not doing so is risking your dog's life. Just have your vet prescribe something when you go in for your ultrasound.

This concerns your puppies' well being. You really don't want to be asking a Disney chat board over your vet, do you? I am sure you are a responsible breeder and not a backyard breeder, so you are just asking the DIS until you can reach your vet in the morning.

Responsible breeding is expensive, isn't it? Let us know what your vet tells you. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter