• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help!! POR or ASMS

I am having more trouble trying to decide on the resort...this is driving me NUTS:confused3 This will be our first ever trip. I thought about All Star Music in a suite, but not really fond of the way the pools look...I LOVE how POR looks and the pools are amazing! Only thing is that there is 5 of us..dh and I and three kids, ages 13, 10 and 8 at the time of leaving. Would we be comfortable in POR or do we need the extra room in the suite? Please help!! TIA:thumbsup2

Go with POR. The pull out trundle bed in the alligator bayou section is like a single bed. Would work out fine for one of your kids. Plus, the resort is one of the best themed on property, and the food court is just outstanding. The bus situation is much better at the POR/French Quarter than at the All-Stars. Go with POR, you won't regret it. Plus, how often will you actually be in the room?

I'd go POR as well, the theming in the rooms on Alligator Bayou is really cool, there's a lot more to do at the resort. The trundle bed is fine for a child, and you are not going to be in the room much anyway.

Will we be comfortable? We are used to sleeping in a king size bed?

You'll be more comfortable than at ASMu. Those beds are awful. The beds will feel small compared to a King Size, but you'll be so exhausted from your daily activities that it won't matter. You'll sleep like a rock.

I am having more trouble trying to decide on the resort...this is driving me NUTS:confused3 This will be our first ever trip. I thought about All Star Music in a suite, but not really fond of the way the pools look...I LOVE how POR looks and the pools are amazing! Only thing is that there is 5 of us..dh and I and three kids, ages 13, 10 and 8 at the time of leaving. Would we be comfortable in POR or do we need the extra room in the suite? Please help!! TIA:thumbsup2

Can't help you with the comfort level, since it is just myself and DW when we go, but I will say that POR is just great..they have the main themed pool..Ol' Man Island, plus several other smaller pools spaced throughout the resort...POR, as well as POFQ, just have a "welcome home" feel after a long day at the parks.

Our family of 5 stayed at POR in November and were extremely comfortable. I didn't even realize DH was in the same bed and we have a King at home. In fact, we are even going to downsize our bed as soon as we need a new matress since I was a very bad pregnant sleeper when we got the King sized one. We had plenty of space in the room, and no issues with the kids. There is a curtain to the bathroom so that someone can change comfortably and unseen when needed. The pool and atmosphere is why I picked it over ASMu, that and the fact that we had done ASMu twice already and although I liked it, didn't love it. It was too loud for me, and by loud I mean there was a lot going on in the color department. I found that my kids settled down better at night without that overstimulated walk back to the room. The one thing I didn't bank on was having to schedule extra pool time into our day since the kids enjoyed it that much. I didn't mind a bit as I wanted to relax and enjoy the resort as much as they did.

My family of 5 have done both and we were much happier with the room set up in a suite at ASMu. At ASMu you would have a queen bed in the bedroom that I found much more comfortable than full bed at POR, 2 bathrooms with privacy curtains, 2 TV and lots of storage in the kithchenette.

I also found the bus service to be better at ASMu than POR.

My children were 4, 6, & 8 when we did POR and 5, 7, 9 when we did ASMu.

I would say stay at the ASMU suites for the extra space. My dh and I were just talking last night about how we would never stay in just one room again as a family if we could help it. We stayed at ASMU on our last trip and we liked the resort ok, except for the groups that arrived during our trip, but I think the suites are all grouped together and the groups probably wouldn't be staying right next to where the suites are located. As the week went by the room seemed to get smaller and smaller and we would have loved to have more room at the end of the day. However, we have also stayed at Port Orleans, French Quarter and loved this resort, but the room is not much larger than a value room. What is more important to you, space or a resort with a few more amenities? Either one you choose, have a wonderful trip!:thumbsup2

My cousin stayed at the suites with her 4 kids and she said that the space was nice, however, there was no storage at all. If I were you... I would do POR... your kids are at an age that they will LOVE the pool slide, which the values don't have.

We tried to get 2 rooms for myself and DH and my daughter and her best friend (like a family member). We were unable to reservations for 2 rooms so we had to stay at POR. I was a little concerned about my DH sharing a room with 2 teenage girls..one not his own, but it worked out fine. We did use the trundle bed and DH left while us girls showered and got ready. He actually showered in the pool area right near our room, which he didn't mind since we are frequent campers. The mod resorts have 2 sinks outside the the tub area and a pull curtain which creates a large dressing area. It was nice because the room was bigger than ASRs and contained a mini fridge.

I've never stayed in the ASMu suites, but I've seen pics. You would have a bit more privacy, and the grounds are even beautiful there. The pools aren't as exciting, but with all the huge icons and colorful displays the kids won't miss out on anything. They have a fun out TV screen that you can stand in and pose for some really cute cartoon like pictures.

Basically its just a matter of taste. Either way you won't be spending that much time at your resort, and which ever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time!

POR ALL the WAY! No comparison...

Main pool with slide, sprays of water wonderful, quiet pools thru out the resort, Laundry facility that has pool right there, easy breezy to escape the family for a bit, lounge while you toss in a load (thus no need to over pack), LOL!
Great food court, pasta station, burgers, Bakery, Pizza, Burgers, Salad...YUMMY!! ON site restaurant (good, not great) good bus service, boat to DTD, a lovely way to see the tree house, saratoga springs and POFQ on the way (20 minutes relaxing ride), beautiful theming at POR and fun store.
Piano Bob show FREE on certain evenings, your kids will love it! The boat rentals, the arcade, the Ol man fishing island, 2 playgrounds, just a beautiful moderate resort that is Very different atmosphere from your other choice.
Also, IMHO, the trundle will work fine with your family, bet ya they'll be wanting to use it rather than not using it......
have a wonderful vacation :wizard:what ever you decide.....I say, GO with your gut, resort choice really can make or break a vacation! :thumbsup2
We LOVE LOVE LOVE por!! :love:

You'll be more comfortable than at ASMu. Those beds are awful. The beds will feel small compared to a King Size, but you'll be so exhausted from your daily activities that it won't matter. You'll sleep like a rock.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
A wonderful Relaxing Disney vacation :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

We've done both. Travel with DH, DD, Myself and my Mom in a wheelchair.

I loved having the extra space provided by a suite but really don't like the All Stars for any other reason than the suite. The food court is always crowded and the public restrooms are filthy. I actually vowed I would never stay in an AS again due to several problems I had there a few years back. The only way I will stay there is if I'm in a suiet. The pools have activities that go on during the day but they are geared more to the little ones.

I felt cramped at POR however, I loved having a table service restaurant and loved the pool -- having a slide is great. The place never seemed as crowded at the AS's do either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter