• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP! Pop Warner at POP Century this year

That's awesome that you haven't experienced anything bad with them yet, but the number of negative posts about PW compared to the positive ones speaks volumes and should throw up a red flag to anyone who will be crossing paths with them. The Gartner Symposium at CSR is a group two to three times the size of Pop Warner and you virtually hear nothing about them. There's also many other children's sports teams and groups that stay at varying Disney resorts throughout the year that go unnoticed. Pop Warner has become infamous and not in a good way, and that's enough for me to not want to chance it. For your one good experience, there's about 10 bad experiences to counter it (unfortunately).

I don't have a horse in this race but I respectfully disagree. The disproportion of negative to positive Pop Warner reviews just highlites human nature. People love to tell the World about a bad experience but don't often take the time to rave about an adequate or even exceptional experience.

I would keep the room at Pop and if there is a problem once you are there you can ask for them to move your room location. I have been there during times when there are large groups and most of the time things have been fine. I only had one time at an all star resort where a group in July was really loud and disrespectful. They would knock on the doors and run away late at night. We went up to the front desk and they moved us immediately. All was fine after that. I have found that disney is pretty good about making sure your needs are met. You deserve a relaxing vacation and most of the time you will get one without any incidents.

This is what we decided to do. When I called Disney this morning, they did place a request on our reservation to place us as far from the Pop Warner participants as possible. If we do experience any problems, we will definitely contact the front desk during our stay and hopefully, they will address the issues.

I don't have a horse in this race but I respectfully disagree. The disproportion of negative to positive Pop Warner reviews just highlites human nature. People love to tell the World about a bad experience but don't often take the time to rave about an adequate or even exceptional experience.

I would love to hear from more people that have been at a host resort with Pop Waren participants and had a positive experience. But I hate to say it, the majority of posts (on a variety of website i.e., tripadvisor, passporter, wdwmagic and DIS just to name a few) all complain about this group --- and I have to believe them because the posts are all complaining about similar behavior.

These children do know how to comply with rules --- they are in a competition. They understand how to behave at competition. If they can behave at these events then they understand how to behave at a hotel. So the blame for the children's behavior has to rest on the shoulders of the adults supervising them. If they can make them behave in competition then they should be able to do the same at the hotel.

We have decided not to worry about it and hope for the best. If we do experience problems once they arrive, we will speak with the Pop Century employees.

I know we can't be the only ones staying here during this time, so I wish the best for everyone else staying at any POP Warner host resort during December 5th - December 14th. We are lucky --- our vacation will only overlap them by maybe 2 days --- it just depends on when they start checking in.

DisneyWalle said:
I would love to hear from more people that have been at a host resort with Pop Waren participants and had a positive experience. But I hate to say it, the majority of posts (on a variety of website i.e., tripadvisor, passporter, wdwmagic and DIS just to name a few) all complain about this group --- and I have to believe them because the posts are all complaining about similar behavior.

These children do know how to comply with rules --- they are in a competition. They understand how to behave at competition. If they can behave at these events then they understand how to behave at a hotel. So the blame for the children's behavior has to rest on the shoulders of the adults supervising them. If they can make them behave in competition then they should be able to do the same at the hotel.

We have decided not to worry about it and hope for the best. If we do experience problems once they arrive, we will speak with the Pop Century employees.

I know we can't be the only ones staying here during this time, so I wish the best for everyone else staying at any POP Warner host resort during December 5th - December 14th. We are lucky --- our vacation will only overlap them by maybe 2 days --- it just depends on when they start checking in.

I changed our resort from ASMu to POP to try to avoid PW. We will be there Dec 4-15! I really don't want to change resorts again. Don't want to spend more to upgrade to mod. Either. Not liking ASSs food court shut and didn't want to deal with all the over flow from that. This is our first time staying onsite and second time ever at DW. Probably have to grin and bear it and hope for the best. Did they just announce this?

I changed our resort from ASMu to POP to try to avoid PW. We will be there Dec 4-15! I really don't want to change resorts again. Don't want to spend more to upgrade to mod. Either. Not liking ASSs food court shut and didn't want to deal with all the over flow from that. This is our first time staying onsite and second time ever at DW. Probably have to grin and bear it and hope for the best. Did they just announce this?

I booked our vacation package at POP about 2 1/2 weeks ago and at that time POP Century wasn't mentioned as a host hotel. (One of the reasons I choose POP was because they weren't supposed to be there)

Your vacation will really overlap them. But bear in mind, the group of POP will only be the 7,8 and 9 year olds. At that age, I would hope they would have more supervision. Plus Disney didn't offer this age group the same packages as the others --- as best as I understand --- they were only offered the 2 night 3 day package. So hope for the best and maybe all will be ok! Thats what we are doing.

This is what we decided to do. When I called Disney this morning, they did place a request on our reservation to place us as far from the Pop Warner participants as possible. If we do experience any problems, we will definitely contact the front desk during our stay and hopefully, they will address the issues.

But from what I read it may not totally help to be away from them room wise bc it is their behavior at the pool, the food court and the bus as well.

And I also have read that WDW doesnt do all that much when you call to complain.

Good luck I hope you are right that the different age group will mean more supervision. I just know myself I would be changing to somewhere else!

Yes, I am the mother of a former Pop Warner cheerleader (we were in WDW when dd was 13). Our coaches (and parents!) towed the line with the girls and expected them to behave everywhere they went, as they were representing our town. I don't remember having issues with any other team either. They also had a curfew. You can't perform at the top of your game if you're exhausted from being in the parks all day and not getting a good night's sleep.

I would agree that the little ones should be no problem; it if were teens, I MIGHT be concerned a little more.

But from what I read it may not totally help to be away from them room wise bc it is their behavior at the pool, the food court and the bus as well.

And I also have read that WDW doesnt do all that much when you call to complain.

Good luck I hope you are right that the different age group will mean more supervision. I just know myself I would be changing to somewhere else!

Also, what a lot of people don't know or understand, is you CANNOT call to complain. When you call from your room phone, you get the call center...not the front desk. It is best to walk to the front desk and complain. We did this twice during our trip, and someone was at the pool within five minutes to take care of it (although 20 minutes after they left, the kids were back).

Also, what a lot of people don't know or understand, is you CANNOT call to complain. When you call from your room phone, you get the call center...not the front desk. It is best to walk to the front desk and complain. We did this twice during our trip, and someone was at the pool within five minutes to take care of it (although 20 minutes after they left, the kids were back).

I did not know that you got the call center when you called from the rooms instead of someone from the front desk. So I guess if I experience a problem then I will definitely walk down to the front desk. Still going to think positive and hope this age will have more supervision.

This is not true. If you read any of the other forums (not just DIS), many people depending on their complaint have received assistance. Some families have been moved to another building away from them (hence the reason for the initial request), some families have received money back on their rooms and others have been upgraded (in fact several have received deluxe upgrades).

When I called I was assured that Disney is aware of the issues that surround POP Warren and do handle each complaint they receive - Attempting to satisfy the family with the bad experience.

Now I'm not going down there expecting anything, but if after they arrive, if we experience problems I will file a complaint. And no matter what Disney's lack of response might be (not likely), we will request transfer to another hotel. (I can afford a deluxe for 2 nights but I don't want to spend this money if its not necessary --- because it will take money from other things).

My main concern is just being able to sleep at night -- I don't believe this is a unreasonable expectation -- Disney does expect you to be able to sleep in their hotels with reasonable accommodations -- this is why they have quiet times. We don't plan on eating in Pop Century's food court, nor do we plan on swimming in the pools and if the crowds at insanely busy, we don't mind driving ourselves to the parks. So those aren't issues for us. I do feel bad for others that will be there the entire time Pop Warren is present.

JennyDrake I could not agree more. We were at Pop last year and had some pop warner groups there. No once did we notice anything unruly from them. I did not stay at a resort where the cheer teams were in April, but we did actually leave Epcot early one day because we had all we could take of the cheer teams running around the parks yelling at the top of their lungs for several hours. I am not necessarily kid friendly either, but do expect to be surrounded by loud, over stimulated kids while at Disney, but these kids were out of control!

I was at AS Music once with the PW kids....they were never an issue. Yes, there were more kids in the food court and on the bus..and they could get loud. But, as far as disturbing us at night? Never an issue.
Now, in the parks? Yes, they have presented a problem at times. Any time you put a bunch of kids together, the pack mentality takes over. I see them coming and I head in another direction! Also....it tends to get worse towards the end of the PW stay. As the kids get dropped from competitions, they spend more time in the parks.

I was VERY worried about this when I saw the competition was taking place the same time I would be there. Where is it that you find out which resort is hosting the kids?

I was VERY worried about this when I saw the competition was taking place the same time I would be there. Where is it that you find out which resort is hosting the kids?

Click on Disney Package information:

http://www.popwarnersb.com/13superbowl/forms.asp

A three (3) night minimum stay is required and includes a standard room at Disney’s All-Star Resorts, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort or Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. All participants/coaches must book a package through Disney Sports Travel and stay at these select Walt Disney World® Resort hotels*.

Like JennyDrake we are also childless by choice. We always go to WDW the beginning of December and have stayed with PW kids several times. We have never had an issue with any of them.

Also you need to remember that for every one compliment there are 10 complaints about anything online. That is why it seems like everyone seems so down on these kids.

And if you went to the PW website you would find out that if you were to complain about a team, players, coaches or family, that they face immediate expulsion from the tournament and are kicked off WDW property, without reimbursement. And not just the team, anyone that booked with the team is also kicked off so all family members are booted too. And the team can be banned from ever playing at WDW again. They have a 10 pm curfew and if they are out past that they can get booted. So if anyone ever has an issue with any of them they need to get the team name and complain direstly with PW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter