Help! Poly or SOG?

stitchrulz

I am not spoiled - A bit past the expiration date
Hey, gang!

O.k., we're down to the wire to make ressies, so I asked my DH one more time if he definitely wants to stay at the Poly instead of SOG this time. He said, "Yes. I mean, if that's where you want to stay." Aarrgghh! We love the Poly, but there's nothing "wrong" with SOG (we don't mind the non-Disney feel). With discounts at both places, it would be about a grand more to stay at the Poly.

One thing I was thinking is that with the wacky weather in the Atlantic (there's another system behind what used to be TS Joyce), maybe the Poly would be better to manage if it's super rainy/wet. Other than that, I'm completely torn. H-E-L-P!

Please share your infinite wisdom, fellow DIS-ers! TIA!! :grouphug:

Love love love the Poly - am from the UK so am already paying close to $6000 in airfare alone for a family of four - thus the Poly is out of my price range (stayed there for my honeymoon in 2004 - Hurricane Charlie), we were there the night Charlie hit, Disney and the Poly were awesome. They put on a buffet at Kona (you had to pay of course) but it ensured we could all eat and also Ohana, they left us a flashlight and instructions, voicemail to reassure, of course they specially screened several Disney movies on resort tv, also most of the staff were stranded there - there were guys directing you the quickest, driest way to your longhouse - they were awesome. Its not just that tho, the Poly is amazing - do it!

Hey, gang!

O.k., we're down to the wire to make ressies, so I asked my DH one more time if he definitely wants to stay at the Poly instead of SOG this time. He said, "Yes. I mean, if that's where you want to stay." Aarrgghh! We love the Poly, but there's nothing "wrong" with SOG (we don't mind the non-Disney feel). With discounts at both places, it would be about a grand more to stay at the Poly.

One thing I was thinking is that with the wacky weather in the Atlantic (there's another system behind what used to be TS Joyce), maybe the Poly would be better to manage if it's super rainy/wet. Other than that, I'm completely torn. H-E-L-P!

Please share your infinite wisdom, fellow DIS-ers! TIA!! :grouphug:

If you are looking to stay dry while at the hotel, I would suggest SOG, since it is a totally inside hotel. My only problem with SOG is the food options. If you are looking to stay dry and save yourself the hassle of looking for decent food, you might have a 50/50 split. Either way, you are going to get wet.

I have stayed at both, love the Poly but the price of SOG and locations wins hands down for me.

If it's super wet and rainy the Poly would be better. I've stayed at SOG and there aren't really any good places to eat so you'd have to brave the yucky weather and go somewhere else. We ate at the Poly while staying at SOG. Of course at SOG you'd stay dryer when you leave your room. It's a toss up. I'd stay at the Poly but that's because I've always wanted to and my DH is a penny pincher who even though it's in the budget doesn't want to spend that on a room.

Thanks, everyone! As for the possible rain, I was thinking more of the hike from SOG over to the Poly to take the monorail which is what we usually do rather than use Shades transport. It would be a lot closer to hop off the monorail and dash to a longhouse than the trek back to SOG. We usually only eat breakfast at the resort and do the rest of our meals in the parks. I think Isaac should be well through by the time we'd arrive (9/2), but I'm keeping an eye on the system behind Joyce. Our 2004 trip was delayed a day due to Frances (drove down in it which was wild), but we had absolutely gorgeous weather the rest of that week and very low crowds as lots of folks changed plans.

Guess it's kind of a heart/head thing. Obviously, SOG is the logical no-brainer, but the Poly is the Poly. We've never waited this late to make ressies, but my mom passed away this spring, and we were very conflicted about going at all, then the storms popped up, and now here we are.

Thanks again for taking the time to help with this. :grouphug:

If you can afford it, Poly, no question. I've stayed at SOG too once a long time ago, but believe me, you'll be very happy at the Polynesian if you can swing it without feeling guilty. When we were at SOG, we would walk over to the Polynesian in the evenings and feel very wistful, wishing we were staying there.

Reservations have been made . . . . . at . . . . . the Poly! It was actually my DH's rationale and decision (more or less). His thinking is that SOG is perfectly nice but would just be like returning to a hotel after leaving the parks, whereas the Poly would would be more of a continued experience, if that makes sense (what with the beautiful grounds, piped in music, etc.). And, this year, we really need a special experience. So, the Poly it is.

There was no problem using the military discount, even at a week out. The reservation lady said that short of a time frame was absolutely not the craziest thing she'd heard of which made me feel better. She was probably fibbing, though. ;) Thanks SO much for all your thoughts and taking the time to reply. :grouphug:

This one is easy - POLY. SoG has nice rooms but absolutely awful at feeling as if you're actually at Disney. It feels like your in a "good neighbor" hotel around Disney property, but not in an actual Disney hotel. There are VERY subtle reminders that will let you know where you're staying at. It's really awful. I'd rather pay more for ANY other Disney hotel than stay there.

As much as we love the Poly.....I would save the grand for the parks and stay at SOG which we consider "home" we don't need to have the Disney atmosphere while we are sleeping. We've done moderate deluxe and of course Shades and you just can't beat the price at SOG and now they are offering a 50% extended stay for those already booked in Sept. So I got 30% off my original reservation and the other day got the 50% email offer and went for it!

I see you made your choice, and that is great! I absolutely love the Poly myself, but I am of the frugal thinking and would have chosen SOG, which we did! lol We are arriving on the 8th and I am also hoping there are no following hurricanes. lol But, that won't keep us from driving down.....:thumbsup2 Have a fabulous trip!

Yes, I'm usually more frugal myself and am trying very hard not to think about that. But, DH seemed to have his heart set on the Poly for this trip. Maybe he just didn't want to make the trek back and forth to catch the monorail. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter