• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help... Please... What would you suggest?

BamaGurl

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney the last week of May. My son will have his birthday (14 years old) the day before we leave. I have booked Yachtsman Steakhouse for dinner that night but after reading some reviews, I believe this may be a little too Fancy for him :rotfl: Don't get me wrong we love a good steak but I am just unsure. Can you please give me another idea that a 14 year old would LOVE... Our other reservations are:

Via Napoli
Whispering Cannon
Sci Fi
Ohana's - He really loves this place :goodvibes
50's Prime Time
Crystal Palace - Breakfast
The Plaza

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

If he loves steak but you think Yachtsman is too fancy, Le Cellier is another option if you can find availability. Why not ask him what kind of food he wants then go from there?

Absolutely love the reservations that you already have. We always do the ones you have listed (our DD's are 13 and 15). We are doing ALL of these ones again in August! Whispering Canyon and 50's are a lot of fun!
What about Mama Melrose? You can get steak there (our party enjoyed it when we were there in August) and you can get the Fantasmic! Dining package, which includes guaranteed seating at Fantastmic! as well as an appetizer with your meal (guessing with a teenage boy, the appetizer would be eaten lol - tough to fill up some teenage boys :goodvibes)
Also, Beaches and Cream is fun (kitchen sink) for ice cream!
Hope your son has a great birthday :thumbsup2

I ate at Yachtsman last trip with my six year old DS. I would not say it's "too fancy" at all. It's a nice restaurant, certainly, but it's also Disney so it's not over the top on the fanciness at all. Even attire wise it's somewhat casual. I was in a sundress and DS was in khaki shorts and a polo shirt and we were about the norm. I didn't see anyone more formally dressed, but I did see several more casual then us.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't miss out on Yachtsman for fear of it being too formal or fancy. The food was really good!

I agree that he will be fine at Yachtsman. It is a bit more defined than some WDW places, but it's really not fancy and the food is great. If its the food he is concerned about, he can get the steak plain or any sauces on the side and a simple side if he wants. It really is a perfect more grown up meal for a teen.

Does he like seafood? We tried cape May for dinner in December...really really good buffet. Ribs, prime rib, crab legs. Delicious.

Thank you all... After reading the comments we may just keep the reservation at Yachtsman. It looks Fabulous to me :cool1: I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and give me advice. THANK YOU!!!

I just ate there last week with my 16yo DS and 18yo DD and I would definitely say keep the ressie also. I don't think it would be too fancy by any means, the food was great and if he's a bit picky like my DS, I would second the suggestion of ordering the sauce on the side.

I would keep your ADR for Yachtsman. I took my daughter (16) and my niece (13) last June. My niece absolutely loved the place. I'm sure if your son enjoys a steak he is going to enjoy YSH and will not find it too fancy. :thumbsup2

Captain's Grille is also at YC/BC and has a steak, if you want something along the same lines but more casual. Not as many steak options, however.

Thank you all... After reading the comments we may just keep the reservation at Yachtsman. It looks Fabulous to me :cool1: I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and give me advice. THANK YOU!!!

I think that was the best option. He's age 14 and he might not get too many more "fancy" dinners so this will be a treat for all of you. Plus, there will be kids younger than your son there so it's not too "fancy".

Ok it's Disney so no matter where you go people will be in theme park attire and the Cast Members won't be treating you like second class guests.

And if the restaurants atmosphere is upscale then what a nice opportunity to show your son that you see he's becoming a gentleman.

A less crowded atmosphere (that I imagine the Yachtsman offers) might give the opportunity for some pixie dust (special dessert presentation).

I've never dined at the Yachtsman so I can't speak for the food.

Reminds me of my daughter's 10th birthday. We gave her the option of another birthday party (with presents no doubt) or a fancy dinner and one bigger gift from mom and dad. She opted for the dinner. We took her to one of the nicest restaurants in town in a nice dress. She got to open her gift at the table (the finest Nintendo handheld that 2002 had to offer with games), and the restaurant served her cheesecake on a huge platter with "Happy 10th Birthday" written in raspberry syrup...and a candle on top. No cheesy singing by the wait staff, just a really special private event. It really made her feel special. She opted for this many times in her teen years.

Cake service might be something to consider here....though with Beaches and Cream down the way....I can understand if a Kitchen Sink is in order.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter