Help, please for a Brit's first visit to Disneyland....

mike230652

This'll do 'til I think of something witty to say.
Having been to WDW for the last two years we ( this means my wife !! ) have decided we'd like to take our two kids ( 10 & 9 ) to Disneyland in October/November 2002.
We know of Disneyland and Universal..........any other advice on " must-do's " ? where and what they are , etc.

We intend to stay off site , preferably a villa.......again any advice would be warmly welcomed.
Duration of our holiday will be 3 weeks........

thanks in advance,

mike:wave: :wave:

My only advice is to plan on the traffic if your going to do any driving around. If the map shows 20 miles by freeway (I'd normally plan for about 30 minutes)- it may take 2 to 3 times that long to actually get there. It all depends on the route your taking and the time of day. So give yourself lots of time to get around.

Now this is out of the way, but I have to ask...

Have you ever been to the desert areas or Grand Canyon?

We have taken several English people around since my hubby is from there (we met at Lancaster Uni) and they always seem to like Vegas and the desert. With 3 weeks you should have time to check out a lot of areas if you choose. I definitely give a "thumbs up" to having a quick look at Vegas, Red Rock Canyon or at least the deserts in CA. Further along and is quite amazing is Zion and Bryce. My inlaws liked Death Valley for a change or Grand Canyon. Also, liked San Diego. One time my mother in law flew into LAX and we spent a few days there, then drove to Vegas midweek for a couple days, then drove to Zion for a day and Bryce for a day. It is quite a distance, but if you get our of the traffic it isn't that bad!

Jenn

mike you MUST go to the Grand Canyon!!!!!!!! It is amazing.
I've sent you a pm.

Hi Mike, if you are going to Disneyland, make sure you also do "Disney's California Adventure". A great park celebrating California's history, cultures, farmland, beaches, and of course Hollywood. Have been a dozen or so times since it opened and continue to appreciate it's theming and creativity the Imagineers put in it. Your kids will love the 'Screaming Coaster'. It starts out fast and doesn't let up. The music themed to it is very energizing. 'Soarin' over California' is the most popular ride. It is a hang gliding experience over California. Very cool, you can even smell the oranges when flying over the groves.
Just this past week-end my husband and I saw the stage show "The Power of Blast" in the Hyperion Theatre in the Hollywood backlot section of the park. It is a live 30 minute performance taken from the Broadway play and I can't say enough about it. It literally blew me away. These kids are really talented. Mostly percussionists and brass players. The show is extremely powerful, well choreographed and highly entertaining. I put it up there with the stage show of "The Lion King". It's only running for a year. Don't miss it!
Off the Disneyland Resorts Lot, a neat place to have dinner is "Medieval Times" in nearby Buena Park. A great live gladiator-type show with dinner you have to eat like they did back then. With your hands! It's fun, your kids will enjoy it.
Since you have three weeks, consider making the drive (approximately four hours from Anaheim) to Las Vegas. Midweek rates are soooo inexpensive at great hotels. Check out these hotels for great rates: Excaliber, Circus Circus, Stratoshere (has a roller coaster and a real scary, sort of a throw-you-up ride outside 112 stories up), and Treasure Island. Sometimes really nice hotels like Caesar's Palace, The Mirage, New York New York and the MGM Grand run specials, too. Make sure you visit the others like: Paris, The Venetian, Bellagio, and Mandalay Bay. They all offer a variety of shows and attractions; a ton of things for families.
Hoover Dam is nearby Las Vegas and is a very interesting and educational tour, and just the other side of Lake Mead.
Hope this helps, have lots of fun!
GEM

Thought I would reaffirm several people's comments and then add a few of my own.
If possible, I would spend the night in Anaheim for a few days and then I would actually drive and get a new hotel in San Diego for a several days. I think your kids would adore the museums and zoos, etc. It's fun to rent a bike and ride along the beach. I could easily spend 5 days there just seeing all the sights (that wouldn't even include any beach time!)

In my experience Disney is much less busy on weekdays and the hotels are affordable depending on whether there is a convention or not. Also, I think you could easily stay for a 5 days or so in Vegas. The reason why is that there are lots of day trips from there that are very worth while. You could drive to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and spend the night there, go to Red Rock Canyon Park which is less than one hour from Vegas (good intro to the desert and hiking trails). We've also then driven to Bryce and Zion Parks which are some of the most amzing places on earth! (it is a drive, but it is enjoyable with an air conditioned car.) My father in law and my hubby also did a long day trip to Death Valley and they really enjoyed that also. It is unique to see that area particularly if you are not used to the desert areas. They always tell me how they loved Badwater! Your kids might enjoy Hoover Dam which is a day trip. Also, just hanging out at the hotels is an experience. Everytime we go there is always something to see. Every person from England we've ever taken has loved Vegas and none of them even gambled. They loved the pools, food, atmosphere, free shows and the strip. Each hotel is interesting to look at, one looks like a pyramid and another like New York. Have to see it once! My inlaws also loved the Star Trek adventure at the Las Vegas Hilton. With kids, there are lots of places to go in Vegas also. There are lots of unusual free attractions to wow them and there is a water park which is really good too. (there is also one by Knott's Berry Farm in Anaheim, haven't been there so can't compare)

I would highly recommend to not just stay in Anaheim since it will be very congested to travel around for day trips (ie LA or otherwise). It is not like the area aroudn WDW.

Usually I like San Diego over the weekend (traffic is easy and hotels are cheaper) but often midweek is fine too.
Las Vegas (definitely midweek, maybe arrive a Sunday and leave before Friday night, highly recommend staying on the strip, ask people what to see or else you might not see all the attractions)
Anaheim (any time but midweek is nice for the crowds at the park, traffic isn't an issue if you are only going to and form the parks)

Hope you have fun!

Jenn

Mike,
As we travel a long way to reach Disneyland we too always try & stay
3 weeks or so at a time.
We have taken our nieces & nephews (all at the age of 11) & have loved the
whole experience of course.
Some things that I don't think that have been mentioned in previous posts
are the following:

1. Knotts Berry Farm - another theme park for the whole family to enjoy about a 10
minute drive from the Disneyland area. They have also recently opened Knotts
Soak City (a water park that is open seasonly)
2. Movieland Wax Museum (same area as Knotts)
3. Ripleys Believe it or Not! Museum (same area as Knotts)
4. Ontario Mills Outlet Shopping Mall (if you like shopping, then this is heaven - you can take
a bus tour to & from here & this is an amazing shopping centre)
5. Six Flags Magic Mountain (this is another theme park but with huge rides. It would depend
on what your family likes ride wise as if you don't like the big coasters I would not
recommend this. If you do however, this is a fantastic park. It is about an hour, an hour
and a half away from Disney though so is a definite full day experience.
6. Legoland (We haven't been here as yet - 9 weeks to go!) Another theme park about an
hour away from Disney & is supposed to be especially designed for children up to the
age of 12 years.

Also a note about the hotels. I have yet to visit WDW but from what I hear it is very
different at Disneyland. Of course there are the three Disney owned hotels (which quite often have discounts now). If you are watching the dollars however there are so many hotels straight across the road to choose from. We stay at one called the Fairfield Inn by Marriot & we can walk to the front gates of Disneyland from our room in about 7 minutes flat.

If you have any more queries (from a fellow overseas travellers perspective) I would be more than happy to try & help.

Wow!!!

Many thanks for all the help and advice from everyone.

Even more questions , though, now that you've awoken my interest!!

How far/long from DL to Las Vegas ? We've decided we have to visit! Promised DW we can stay in the Venice Hotel for a couple of nights and perhaps New York, New York for a couple.

How far/long from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon? we understand you can do a helicopter trip into the canyon, is this so? If so, any suggestions as to how to contact a company that does this?

Other parts of the trip are pretty flexible , but the above are definite "must-do's" along with DL, Universal and Lego .....we have a 9 year old boy who lives for Lego!!!

Also (sorry to be a pain ) are we better off hiring a car from the UK or waiting until we arrive in the USA ?????.........From the UK the cost is approx. £ 240 / $340 weekly for a Stratus or similar to include all insurances. I know that in Orlando you have NO choice......I'm not saying that prices are fixed, but..............

Thanks again for all the ideas..........feel free to keep them coming!!

mike

Hi Mike

We have a similar trip planned when the kids get out of school (mine will be 9 and 7)...
we aren't from the UK (we're from Jax, FL) and we aren't staying as long as you are, but we ARE doing half our trip in So. Cal and half our trip in Vegas.

I've been doing a LOT of research...I think it pays to do your homework! :)
There are lots of sites to check out regarding Vegas
(which I understand will be approx. a 4 hour drive from Anaheim...we are heading over on a Sunday and returning on Thursday)
check out www.vegas4visitors.com
www.a2zlasvegas.com
www.vegas.com
We were able to get a rate of $49/nt at Bally's for our dates! (quickbook.com)
The Venetian looks incredible, I hope you enjoy your stay there!

The rate for your rental car seems fairly reasonable, but I think you can probably do a bit better. Dollar and Thrifty seem to have the best rates, at least by what I have found. Priceline is another alternative and is probably what we are going to end up trying for our rental car.

Good luck with your plans...sounds like a great trip is in the works!

Hi Mike,

I am also from the UK. Just a thought on car rental. Why not try www.priceline.co.uk. I bidded a few times, for our Florida trip and eventually got a midsize car for £15 per night. This included airport taxes, insurance and everything.

Wow, Cinderella , that was a great deal you got!! Might give it a go if we can't pre-book a decent rate.

mike

Add the Gene Autry Cowboy Museum [The "Sing Cowboy"of USA movies] to your list of must see's!![It up near the L A Zoo!] My hubby and I took 1/2 a day to go there we only saw 3/4 of it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter