• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help plan trip to California

RAZ24

Mouseketeer
We will be flying into Orange County Dec 15th and leaving the 23rd. We have a 20 yr old son, 16 yr old daughter and a 9 yr old daughter. From the 15th until morning of 18th we will be visiting family. Looking to stay at the Ritz or St. Regis at Dana Point during that part of the stay. Not interested in visiting DL this trip. What places should we visit with the range of age children going? (no matter how I tried, I could not make that last sentence make sense).

Would be interested in going north up the PCH. Where to stop? What to see? I don't like shoving a lot of activities in one day. DH,DS, DD, like to bike, hike etc.. Should we go all the way to Yosemite, or is this too much, in a short period of time. Have from the 18th until 23rd.

Where is Santa Monica Pier in relation to LA? Have read a few threads about seeing Wicked in LA. Maybe get there early in the morning, shop, eat, see the show?

Where should we stay hotel wise for the remainder of our stay?

As you can see, I have not a clue!!! I will be purchasing California for Dummies soon!!!

Sister in Law has small children. Not sure if she can help with ideas when it comes to teens.

I have noticed that people give their itineraries on here already thought out, sometimes they get changed around a little. I am looking for someone to write my itinerary. Any takers?

Oh yeah, not sure if it matters, son will be joining us on the 17th.

DD16 and myself like to shop.

Thanks in Advance-

Christine

Santa Monica Pier is about 20 miles from downtown.

I work stage crew on Wicked - tickets are hard to get. Not really a spur of the moment thing. If you want to see the show you should get tickets right away.

Yosemite isn't on the PCH. It's about 200 miles inland from Monterey. But that's a nice stop on the PCH - about 320 miles from downtown L.A. - but just the drive up the coast is pretty amazing. Cambria is a beautiful place to stop and there's the famous Hearst Castle in San Simeon. If you do take the trip up PCH make sure you stop in Big Sur.

I saw Wicked in Chicago and it was amazing!!! I was planning on doing some inland and coastal things for our trip in the summer of 08. In the end I decided to just focus on the coast. Good luck deciding!! I found out most of the places to visit by reading and posting here!!

Thanks for the replies.
StageTek- thanks for giving me some great ideas to start off with! Will do some reading on past threads here, hopefully get some more good info.

Any hotel suggestions for driving up the PCH? Don't think we want to go all the way to San Francisco.

Not ruling out Yosemite. Don't think we can do both though.

Will look into getting tickets to Wicked soon.

Anyone else?

Christine

We like to stop in Solvang. Once we stayed at the Days Inn in Buellton (the one with the windmill that is featured in the movie Sideways). Hearst Castle is cool.
If you don't want to drive that far north, then Santa Barbara. One day I want to try their land/sea tour. We enjoyed stopping for lunch at Neptune's Net, a true surf shack just north of the county line into Ventura County if you are driving up the PCH.

There's not much to do in Big Sur unless you are rich enough to go to a resort, unless you like hiking in the woods and on the beach. I prefer Point Lobos State Park a few miles north, which is just south of Carmel. It is much more user-friendly. The Carmel/Pacific Grove/Monterey area has lots to do, including the fantastic Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Yosemite is another route altogether, in the eastern part of the state, not the coast. I have never been there, so can't help on that part.

Okay, how does this sound?

Dec. 15-18
check in st regis dana point
hang out w/ SIL and family
beaches,, shopping etc.
still a work in progress

Dec. 18-20
still need a hotel (Portelos?)
Monterey Area
aquarium, cannery row, fishermen's wharf
17 mile drive, pebble beach(lunch?),
carmel
big sur, pfeiffer state park (redwoods)
Hearst Castle
Can some, most or all of this be done?????????What order should this be in?

Dec.20-23
still need a hotel (Beverly Hills Inn?)
LaBrea tar pits and Page museum, Rodeo Drive, farmers market, STARS on Hollywood Blvd. El Capton Theatre (see a show) Disney soda shop.
Warner Brothers Tour, Tickets to Wicked (purchased already Dec21 8pm show)
Santa Monica area 1/2 day full day?
Magic Mountain yes/no? 2 teenagers and 9yr old
what needs to go? what am i missing? what order should this be in?

How about restaurants in these areas.

Please advise.

Thanks-
Christine

After the 5 days with family, I don't think you have enough remaining time to consider Yosemite.
Santa Monica would be a nice place to stay, plenty of shopping and the hikers could head for the Santa Monica Mountains or off to Griffith Park. Remember however, that this time of year is ABSOLUTELY MOBBED with holiday shoppers, parking problems etc. You might want to just spend more time down near Newport Beach and Laguna Beach, plenty of shopping around there as well.
If you do make it up to Santa Monica, you might consider a day trip up to Santa Barbara which is a city worth visiting in my opinion. I assume you are flying home from Orange County as well?

tracy2cents-thanks for your reply. Yes, we will be flying out of orange. Please check my post (1 post) before yours. I updated w/ some other /different ideas.

Again, thanks,

Christine

That is a *lot* to pack into three days! Remember that driving on PCH may not look like a lot, mileage-wise, but you're driving along the coast, on very windy roads, and could get stuck behind an RV/truck for many miles (slowing you down). It's an absolutely gorgeous drive, so you'll want to take your time and enjoy it. If you left OC, and drove directly to Monterey (on PCH), that alone would take you most of the day (allowing for stops for eating, gas, pictures, etc). You can break it up a bit, maybe stay in Morro Bay or Cambria the first night, then do the rest of the drive on the second day, ending in Monterey. Maybe:

Day 1 - drive to Morro Bay/Cambria, maybe get in a late Hearst Castle tour?
Day 2 - drive to Monterey, stopping at Carmel/Big Sur, taking 17 Mile
Day 3 - see the Aquarium, drive home via 101 (longer than the 5 but shorter than PCH, and somewhat more scenic)

In LA, Hollywood and Santa Monica is one day, max, even if you see a movie at El Cap. I'd spend another day at La Brea Tar Pits and maybe 1 other museum, maybe fit Warner Bros in here as well.

Magic Mountain is great for teens - but it's about an hour north of LA (depending on traffic), and might have limited hours in December (also packed due to school being out).

Dec. 18-20
still need a hotel (Portelos?)
Monterey Area
aquarium, cannery row, fishermen's wharf
17 mile drive, pebble beach(lunch?),
carmel
big sur, pfeiffer state park (redwoods)
Hearst Castle

Dec.20-23
still need a hotel (Beverly Hills Inn?)
LaBrea tar pits and Page museum, Rodeo Drive, farmers market, STARS on Hollywood Blvd. El Capton Theatre (see a show) Disney soda shop.
Warner Brothers Tour, Tickets to Wicked (purchased already Dec21 8pm show)
Santa Monica area 1/2 day full day?
Magic Mountain yes/no? 2 teenagers and 9yr old

brodyjen-thank you for your reply. Your ideas look great. Splitting up the drive to Monterey does sound like a better idea.

Hearst Castle is near Cambria/Morro Bay? Sorry haven't looked this all up in detail yet.

Thanks-
Christine

Yes, Cambria is the town that is closest to Hearst Castle. I haven't been in probably 7 years but I understand that there are quite a few more restaurants, galleries, hotels, etc than there were before. There is a beautiful beach in Cambria, if your teens/DH would rather not tour the castle, or need a stretch.

For an L.A. hotel, the Sunset Plaza is pretty much in the center of all the things you want to do. www.sunsetplazahotel.com

If you book a WB Tour, book it mid-afternoon. You can finish up at dusk and drive around Burbank in the early evening or after dinner. Lots of studio "lighting technicians" live in the area and the holiday light displays are very enjoyable.

Shopping - while you are in staying in Dana Point, don't miss Fashion Island in Newport Beach and South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa (the mecca of shopping).

Thank you for your continued responses. I will look up the hotel. Our family loves to drive around and look at holiday lights. We will have to do this.

Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza, I got it!

Where to eat before Wicked? The guys like a good steak, or Italian, almost anything. Not big on Mexican food. Chi Chi's experience has ruined my kids for life. lol

Once again, thanks!

Christine

For Italian, you might want to try Miceli's. It's about a 15 min walk from the Pantages. The Grill has great steaks--it's a long walk from theatre, so take the subway (it's only 1 stop away).
Lucky Devils is also has pretty good upscale burgurs if you're interested. It owned by Lucky Vanous--he was famous back in the early 90s for taking off his shirt in a Diet Coke commercial:blush:

http://www.micelisrestaurant.com/
http://thegrill.com/location.cfm?subsections_id=49
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/review/41892826?rpp=41

Not food related, but if you have time, Griffith Observatory is great for a few hours. The view is spectacular if you go on a clear day. They has a shuttles shuttles that leave from the Hollywood/Highland mall ever 20 min. You need to make reservations in advance.
http://www.griffithobs.org/vshuttle.html

kitsch-will look up the restaurants. Thank you.

The observatory-where is this in relation to the theatre, Warner brothers, El Capton theatre, LaBrea Tar Pits? Just so I can figure out where to 'squeeze' this in. Or maybe take something out!

Thanks-
Christine

The observatory sits on top of the Hollywood Hills and is part of Griffith Park. Warner Bros is in Burbank which is on the other side of the hills.

Pantages Theatre, El Capitan, and La Brea Tar Pit are all located south & west of the observatory. Across the street from the El Capitan is a mall called Hollywood and Highland and that's where the shuttle to the observatory is. It's around a 10-15 ride to the observatory.

Yes, Cambria is the town that is closest to Hearst Castle. I haven't been in probably 7 years but I understand that there are quite a few more restaurants, galleries, hotels, etc than there were before. There is a beautiful beach in Cambria, if your teens/DH would rather not tour the castle, or need a stretch.
I agree with brodyjen.

I think planing on a late afternoon tour at the Castle (5-6 miles north of Cambria) & then staying in Cambria is a great idea.

There are several B&Bs / cute motels on Moonstone Beach Rd. in Cambria that are very nice. Also, there are several nice restaurants in Cambria. (Check on TripAdvisor for recommendations). My DW & I have visited Cambria & Morro Bay twice & love it.

Also, check out SpartanGirl's trip report. Some beautiful pics of her drive on Highway 1 & the Hearst.

Have a great time. :thumbsup2

We will be flying into Orange County Dec 15th and leaving the 23rd. We have a 20 yr old son, 16 yr old daughter and a 9 yr old daughter. From the 15th until morning of 18th we will be visiting family. Looking to stay at the Ritz or St. Regis at Dana Point during that part of the stay. Not interested in visiting DL this trip. What places should we visit with the range of age children going? (no matter how I tried, I could not make that last sentence make sense).

Would be interested in going north up the PCH. Where to stop? What to see? I don't like shoving a lot of activities in one day. DH,DS, DD, like to bike, hike etc.. Should we go all the way to Yosemite, or is this too much, in a short period of time. Have from the 18th until 23rd.

Where is Santa Monica Pier in relation to LA? Have read a few threads about seeing Wicked in LA. Maybe get there early in the morning, shop, eat, see the show?

Where should we stay hotel wise for the remainder of our stay?

As you can see, I have not a clue!!! I will be purchasing California for Dummies soon!!!

Sister in Law has small children. Not sure if she can help with ideas when it comes to teens.

I have noticed that people give their itineraries on here already thought out, sometimes they get changed around a little. I am looking for someone to write my itinerary. Any takers?

Oh yeah, not sure if it matters, son will be joining us on the 17th.

DD16 and myself like to shop.

Thanks in Advance-

Christine

We were in Southern CA. for two weeks in June then went onto Vegas for five nights. I have a 15 and 16 year old daughter and son.
We booked a tour of the hollywood homes and aw the Kodac theater and Chinese theater. We went to Universal one day and it was fun but one day was enough since there isn't a ton to do. We enjoyed the back lot tour.
We shopped so much in CA. that we needed to buy a full size suitcase for our return trip.
Now there is this really cool place that you can google if you are interested called Its a wrap. I read about it in my L.A magazine on the plane ride there. Although there is a location in Los Angelos on Roberstons blvd. and Burbank, we went to both but much prefered Burbank. Everything has a tag with a code on it and it shows what shows or movies the clothing was worn in. It was so cool and great prices. I got a great pair of gap jeans for $4.00 that were worn in the suite life of Zaac and Cody. We got jewelery worn in General hospital. It was so cool and a lot of fun if you are a movie buff.

bIG sur if beautiful along with a visit to hearst castle and the Carmel such a charming town.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter