HELP, parents!!! DS won't take sippy cup

TexasErin

Loves old Pluto cartoons
DVC Silver
Disclaimer: Non-Disney question
DS will be one year old next week and I just stopped nursing (had to quit cold turkey because of some medication I am temporarily on.) He also did not ever want to take bottles at daycare, but at least I knew at home (and several times during the night :rolleyes: ), he was getting enough liquid through my feeding him. He has never liked sippy cups, but now he NEEDS one. Nicholas pushes the cup away or if you hand it to him, he takes it and very matter-of-factly drops it on the floor (will be funny to think about one day). I have tried juice, water, and milk. I have tried several different sippy cups. He does not want any of them. Any advice?!?
TIA,
Erin

All I can suggest is keep trying. My youngest dd also refused a sippy cup for a couple of months, I thought she would never take one. She eventually just did it one day, abandoned the bottle and never looked back (she was about 14 months).

Have you tried some other type of cups? For instance we have a sports bottle type kids cup with a straw. Maybe he would like the novelty of that and at least you would know he's drinking. It's spillproof and insulated, I think made by Playtex.

Are they all non-spill sippies? My first guess would be that if you have always had a good supply, and you are using non-spills, he might not be understanding that he needs to make an effort to get the liquid out. He may assume that because nothing comes out when he puts it in his mouth, that there is nothing in the cup. Have you tried a regular ordinary plastic cup with no lid?
(It could be the other way round, too, with a regular cup. If he's used to having to suck he could be gulping too much at once and choking on it.)

Of course, he could just be making a statement over the cold-turkey weaning, in which case he won't last long. He will get thirsty, and he will drink; no one can entirely do without liquid for any length of time.

A couple thoughts but first of all don't worry. He will eventually drink something. Unfortunately weaning isn't going to be what you planned for.

Instead of trying different liquids pick something you want him to drink, milk or water would be my choice, then stick with it to avoid confusion. Then try room temp instead of cold as your breast milk was room temp. You can chill it a bit at a time later. I also agree with the other poster about the spillproof cups. Many kids don't realize they have to suck (sometimes pretty hard) to get the liquid, its also a very different sucking motion than bf'd. If it were me I would (again!) try and introduce the type of cup now that you would like him to use long term. For my girls I just used the bathroom size paper cups, a 1/2 oz to oz at a time to prevent spills. If he "dumps" simply give him a paper towel and you can clean it up together. If you can (and I know its hard) take the struggle out of it - let him lead. Just let him take his time while watching for signs of dehydration. Lots of fruits in the meantime, will help with this.

The rubbermaid "juice box" type containers are pretty good. Perhaps just leave a sports type bottle of water available and just let him know its his when/if he wants it. Many times kids -esp toddlers- just want some control.

Best of luck and remember its all temporary.
TJ

I went through this with DD at about 10 months. She wouldn't take a bottle or a sippy cup. I found a cup at Right Start that had a soft straw (almost like tubing) and would convert to a sippy cup down the road. This worked great for her. After a while I realized that the problem with the sippy cup was that she could tip her head back enough in her highchair to drink from it. After several weeks using this cup she made the switch to a sippy cup.

My DD (just turned one) also hates sippy cups. Like some others, I suggest trying a straw. She's been drinking from a straw since 6mos and loves them. It's actually more convenient, as straws are easy to find when you eat out and I don't have to carry a cup with me.
good luck

To transition my ds to sippy cups, I had to take the spill-proof stopper out of them at first. This allowed him to realize that there was liquid in them. Then, when he got the hang of that, I put the plastic stoppers back in the cups.

Good luck!

Hello-
Just weaned my son last week from the bottle and he will only take the playtex cup with the straw in it. I think as ohter posters said, they don't understand that they have to suck it out of the sippy cup and that they have to tilt their head backward for liquid to get out. These straw ones are working out great for me. I put a little juice on the straw at first so he would suck on it and get the milk. As tjmw... said, I had to do the milk at room temp first and gradually cool it down. Now he will drink it cold and he will drink it at restraunts from a straw also.

I nursed my 3 boys straight to a no- spill sippie cup, also with no bottle. I have your answer. Take the sippie and dip it in Jelly (I know it is pure sugar and your baby has only had veggies and breast milk, but it will probably only take 1 or 2 times). My babies had never tasted anything sweet, they started sucking the Jelly and then figured out how to get the drink out. With my last child, he learned, but still didn't drink a lot, I was worried until it got really hot he, he naturally got thirsty, and has been fine ever since. Good luck

DD1 bites on the tip of the sippee cup, so I got a soft tipped one, then 20 others- bottom line- she doesn't like it. Someone suggested I try one of those mini drink boxes with the teenie bendable straw (not the regular ones- the mini ones). She took to it right away and uses bottles for her milk and any kind of cup with a straw or drink box with a straw. We still have to hold it for her, though.

My DS started sippy cups due to peer pressure (saw DD doing it). Don't worry, he won't dehydrate. Kids need to demonstrate their independence, welcome to the toddler years early! I notice you're heading to WDW soon though, you may want to invest in some disposable sippy cups just in case he decides to toss a cup off the train! I'd try the juice box thing too. I got a hard plastic container that you put the juice box into and the straw comes out the top lid. This way, they won't be so quick to discover the amusing art of squeezing the juice box. I think I got it at a dollar store.

Originally posted by mom1in99
This way, they won't be so quick to discover the amusing art of squeezing the juice box.
DD just figured that one out! Funny! :rolleyes: (not)

This is a great thread, very encouraging. My 11 month old DS WILL NOT drink from a sippy cup. I'm going to get one of those straw cups tomorrow!! Thanks for the tip!

Ann:earsgirl:

Also try Vanilla Soy Milk. It tastes as close to Bmilk as I can find. :)

With DD we did have to try the non-spillproof cups and transition to the spill proof ones.

My daughter hated sippy cups too. We also did the straw thing. You can make it fun with a crazy straw to get him interested. Also, they are hard to find, but they are out there....they have hard plastic juice box holders. That way, he can't squeeze the box and create a geiser. My daughter never did sippy cups. You can also fill a cup and let it be a "surprise" what color the drink is. May be interested in finding out and want to drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter