HELP - Painted Laminate Countertops Question

dfchelbay

DIS Veteran
Well, I have begun this home improvements project this weekend...to paint laminate counter tops. I cleaned the counters thoroughly and have done my sanding. Here's my question...after sanding and sanding and sanding, I have wiped down the counters and the still feel somewhat smooth. I see all the dust of what I have sanded off, so I know its been sanded pretty good. Is this what I'm supposed to feel at this point. Basically, is the laminate/formica still feeling somewhat smooth normal?

I am going to paint in the morning and just want to know if anyone else who has done laminate painting before had formica that felt a little smooth still after numerous sandings of it.

Thanks everyone and I will be sure to post before and after photos.

Well, I have begun this home improvements project this weekend...to paint laminate counter tops. I cleaned the counters thoroughly and have done my sanding. Here's my question...after sanding and sanding and sanding, I have wiped down the counters and the still feel somewhat smooth. I see all the dust of what I have sanded off, so I know its been sanded pretty good. Is this what I'm supposed to feel at this point. Basically, is the laminate/formica still feeling somewhat smooth normal?

I am going to paint in the morning and just want to know if anyone else who has done laminate painting before had formica that felt a little smooth still after numerous sandings of it.

Thanks everyone and I will be sure to post before and after photos.

Well, I painted my formica countertops this past year but I didn't sand them-I used the Rustoleum countertop paint and it didn't say to do that. But, with Formica, it is a layer of laminate stuff that is glued onto the base of the countertop (usually pressboard or plywood). So it probably should still be smooth, because you don't want to sand that off-otherwise you would have a very rough surface.

Again, not sure what product you are using-but the one I used is designed to adhere to a clean surface, without sanding. Good luck! I am very happy with my 'new' countertops that cost me $20 :banana: It was worth the work.

Hi, I have painted my laminate countertops (actually done it twice) and I liked the results both times. When I paint my countertops I only lightly sanded and the paint"stuck" just fine. The laminate still feels smooth even after the sanding. I lightly sand and then apply Kilz before I do the painting. Good Luck, I bet you're good on the sanding part.

Thanks for the replies. Glad to know others have similar experiences. I don't know what I would do with out the Disboards. So many people to share information with one another...love it.:thumbsup2

I have never even heard of this. Did not know it was possible. Do you paint them a solid color or is there a product for faux granite?
Would love to see pics too!

I would love to hear how it holds up. I asked a while ago in the community section but seemed like no one had ever even heard of painting laminate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter