Help, our TV died.

bamamom

DIS Veteran
We were planning on buying a new TV with the deals on Black Friday :happytv:. Well, our TV went out this morning :scared1: Can anyone tell me the difference between the LCD and the Plasma? I've been looking but don't know which is better. And can anyone recommend a brand or a brand you have had trouble with. Thanks!!!

I don't really know the answer to your question, but understand what you are feeling... Our BIG TV in the living room died a couple weeks ago. We now have a table in front of the big tv with a small 20 inch TV on it, DVR on top, and computer speakers next to it (The speakers are out on the 20 inch TV.)

It is not in the budget to buy a new TV, so we just get lots of comments when people come over. O'Well.

I was told that LCD is better energy wise and for game playing. It would not embed the figures.
I could never get a B friday bargin the lines so long and they would sell out.
I think at Walmart online there was a real bargin ship to store. SAMs had some nice ones to.

I should be watching for a new Fridge, but with both laid off and finding temp work only, I have to pray everyday for it to keep working.

good luck,

Here's a link LCD vs. Plasma that should help.

We just purchased a 52" Philips LCD HDTV and we love it. The picture is so crisp and clear and I was telling DH that it's weird because the movies look like plays. It looks like you are currently filming what you are watching. So real and almost documentary like.

Our TV from 1996 died this past May so we finally broke down & got an LCD. It's a 46" Sony Bravia & so far, so good.

My friend bought a huge plasma tv when she bought her house a couple years ago. It was very large and was over her fireplace. It had a pretty picture but right after the 1 year warranty ran out... like 8 days after... it died. She went to Best Buy and some other big tv store and both sales people told her they could have told her not to buy a plasma tv because they have so many problems with them. I got DS19 a 37" Vizio LCD flat panel for his 18th b-dayand he loves it!! Those Vizios have such a bright and clear picture!! That's what we will get for our living room and bedroom when those tvs die because DH was soooo jealous when DS came home and hooked it up!!:lmao:

Costco has some great deals on TVs. Take a look on their website. They also usually have coupons each month of a discount on a couple of different models.

Thanks for this post!
I am looking for a new tv for our family room :happytv:
I have heard that sony vio 1080 is a good brand does anyone know anyhting about them?

I work in the Media industry and can tell you the best over all HD Flat screen TV is a Samsung. That being said you will pay a pretty penny for one. I would highly recommend buying a Vizio. The quality of a Vizio isn't as good as a Samsung but it's still a great picture and only half the price.

Plasma's are great but they are a dying breed. Plasma TV's have been around for a long time and the LCD technology has finally caught up to them. Companies can't make a Plasma smaller than 42' and LCD's used to not be able to make them over 32' but things have changed.

Costco always has a pretty good deal or you an try Tigerdirect online for some amazing deals.

Hope this helps!

I work in the Media industry and can tell you the best over all HD Flat screen TV is a Samsung. That being said you will pay a pretty penny for one. I would highly recommend buying a Vizio. The quality of a Vizio isn't as good as a Samsung but it's still a great picture and only half the price.

I love the Samsung I have for my living room but it wasn't cheap :rolleyes:, I'm planning to get a 32" tv for the bedroom before the year is out and unless I find a really good deal on a Samsung I'll be getting a Vizio...I've been watching the Vizio deals on slickdeals.net and the reviews are always good and I'm impressed with the picture quality of the few I've seen on display in Walmart, BB, etc.

When I asked this question at a store they had an LCD and a plasma side by side and turned them both off. The Plasma was like a mirror. If you have a lot of windows in your room or lots of lights you will get a glare on a plasma. That was the deciding factor when I bout mine a few years ago because my living room has a ton of windows.

LCD, definitely. Go to as many stores as possible to stare at the pictures on the various tvs. Stores have their tvs set at different settings with different lighting, etc., so you need to look around to compare the picture quality. I think that one's assessment of picture quality is pretty subjective. It depends on what you like.

DH and I shopped around a lot after our tv died 3 years ago and, even though it was much more expensive at the time, we got a Sony Bravia (which they probably don't even make anymore!) instead of the less expensive but still really good Samsung because we much preferred the picture quality. 3 years later, we're still very happy with our choice. The equivalent tv to the one we bought probably costs over $1000 less than what we paid, btw. That's how much prices have come down.

There are deals on LCD tvs all the time. Check BradsDeals. Check at J&R Music World, which often offers free shipping. Check all the bargain places you usually shop. Have fun! You'll so enjoy having an LCD HDTV. If nothing else, sports, movies, and animation look just awesome!

When we had our rear projection TV fixed I asked the repair man which he would have next a Plasma or LCD. He said neither...he would get an LED or another rear projection. My DH is holding out for an O-LED. I told he it will be a 5 yr wait or so cause they are expensive!

We got a great deal on a 42 inch Samsung LCD 1080 HDTV for Christmas. It was about $950 and then it dropped another $100 after I got it so that was when Amazon used to refund you if the price dropped! We also got a nice Logitech universal remote thrown in for free. The delivery was free and the guy brought it up and hooked it up for us.

We were planning on buying a new TV with the deals on Black Friday :happytv:. Well, our TV went out this morning :scared1: Can anyone tell me the difference between the LCD and the Plasma? I've been looking but don't know which is better. And can anyone recommend a brand or a brand you have had trouble with. Thanks!!!

Plasma is preferred by some video enthusiasts -- for the everyday comsumer/viewer, plasma can be a bigger drain (than LCD) on the electric bill.

Plasmas have a glass "screen" and LCD's have a synthetic screen. Because of the glass, plasmas are heavier, but also slightly sharper. Also, just like computer monitors made from glass, you can "burn" an image into a plasma screen you don't want to play alot of static video games on them. I personally prefer the LCD because they are easier to move. We have a Toshiba that's 2.5 years old from Best Buy that has worked beautifully. We recently bought a 32" Vizio from Costco for another room and have been quite happy with that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter