Help on rides for pregnant people!

DisneyJoo2008

DIS Veteran
Hi all

We are going in Nov this year and I will be 17 weeks pregnant. I wondered if anyone has any advice on the following rides? I'm not sure if they're suitable or not...

Kilimanjaro Safari
Soarin'
Pirates of the Caribbean
Snow White
Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan's Flight
Buzz Lightyear
Toy Story Mania

I know some of these rides can be a bit rough in places but its not like I'd be riding Expedition Everest of DINOSAUR!!!

Would be grateful for any thoughts and personal experiences!

Julie xxx

Hi all

We are going in Nov this year and I will be 17 weeks pregnant. I wondered if anyone has any advice on the following rides? I'm not sure if they're suitable or not...

Kilimanjaro Safari
Soarin'
Pirates of the Caribbean
Snow White
Winnie the Pooh
Peter Pan's Flight
Buzz Lightyear
Toy Story Mania

I know some of these rides can be a bit rough in places but its not like I'd be riding Expedition Everest of DINOSAUR!!!

Would be grateful for any thoughts and personal experiences!

Julie xxx

Taking medical information from a theme parks message board is
risky, at best.

Here's my "scale of shakiness" 10 being "Dinosaur Rough."

Kilimanjaro Safari 6
Soarin' 2
Pirates of the Caribbean 3
Snow White 3
Winnie the Pooh 4
Peter Pan's Flight 2
Buzz Lightyear 2
Toy Story Mania 3

Take this as an opinion.
Only you and your Dr. should be "in the loop" on this question.

Happy new baby, BTW!!
;)

Thanks very much!
I know what you're saying about me asking for advice on here - but you guys know the rides the most! Also, it'd be good to hear the experiences from other pregnant people / people who have been pregnant.

My Mum will be so sad that I can't go on the Safari with her - its her favourite ride!

xxx

I went on everything at 5 months pregnant. Even BTMRR. My Ob was fine with it and said riding the rides was no more dangerous than a bumpy car ride.

I was 5 months pregnant and rode all the rides you have listed last Sept. I was fine and my OB was fine with it. My dd (6 years old) was not...she was so worried that something would happen...it was really cute. I would double check with your OB but none of the rides listed bothered me nor did I feel like they were too rough. Have fun!!

I rode all but Soarin and TSM (they weren't open) and everything was absolutely fine. When we went on the Safari I just braced myself and stayed kind of stiff so I didn't get shaken too much. My OB told me to stay away from rides with centrifical (sp?) force because it could cause seperation in the uterus, i.e. TOT, Mission Space, etc. I had a fabulous time when I went pregnant and did not feel left out at all! I have to go to HersheyPark in a week and will be 30 weeks and compared to WDW I will be alone the entire trip(not really it will just seem that way!) because there is nothing:sad2: for us preggo people to do there!
Have a fantastic time! And congrats on the new baby!:cloud9:

Of the rides, you listed, only Kilomanjari Safari has a warning from WDW against riding it.

You can look at the park maps for the attractions with warnings - they are marked with a red triangle on the map and also on a sign at the entrance to the queue.
For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space
  • Test Track
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
  • Space Mountain
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Dinosaur

Soarin' doesn't have any warnings that would affect pregnancy; just heights and possibly motion sickness.

The Safari and Kali River Rapids are listed because you can get unexpected hard bumps and drops during the course of the ride. As someone mentioned, the Safari is less bumpy closer to the front, but it is still bumpy. We sit in the front seat because youngest DD needs to stay in her wheelchair; we still get bounced around a lot. It all depends on which ruts your ride car hits.

G forces are the reason for not riding Splash Mountain. The big drop takes you down at a very extreme angle at a high rate of speed (I think you get to 40 mph). At the bottom, your ride car stops abruptly. That sort of combination of fast speed drop at an extreme angle and then abrupt stop can theoretically cause placental abruption - where the placenta actually peels away from the wall of the uterus. That's the main reason for warnings at Splash Mountain.
for rides like Dinosaur, Star Tours, Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain you are not moving that fast, but can experience sudden changes of direction that jerk you around a lot.

I don't know how far along you are. I went at 12 weeks and spoke with my OB first as I was concerned about the safari ride. She said she wouldn't recommend it during the 3rd trimester but before that was fine. I did all the rides you listed but Pirates has a small drop and although it was very small, it still made me a little nervous and I didn't ride it a 2nd time. Then again, I'm overly paranoid and following just about EVERYTHING+ (including no coffee even though my ob says I can have 1 cup a day).

Really, Dinosaur would be considered a 10/very rough? I thought it felt no different than riding in my dh's bumpy jeep, which I did all through my last pregnancy. :laughing:

I'll be 18 weeks pregnant when we visit in two weeks, and I'll be avoiding any rides that have cautions for pregnant women (of your list, I think the only one that qualifies is Kilimanjaro). In all honesty, I'd probably ride the Safaris if it was up to me, but DH is against it. His pointed out how hard we've worked to get here (multiple miscarriage, IVF, FET), and how awful it would be if we lost the baby and didn't know if it was because I rode something I was advised not to. It's a fair point, and WDW isn't going anywhere. I can ride everything some other time.

Congrats on your baby, and have a great trip!

My sister did almost every ride in the park the last week of her first trimester. I would recommend you talk to your doctor he/she would be the one to advice you on what is best for you. Not every person is the same so even hearing stories of other peoples sucess on rides or even horror stories can not be taken personally. Only you and your doctor know your body and what you shouldnt be doing.
Btw my doctor told me I could continue running during my pregnancy and most would think that a no no....

I'll be 17 weeks when we go in a few weeks. As stated earlier, the only one with warning on your list is the Safari.

Personally, I'm going on the Safari, but will be sitting in the front seat (and I'll likely only do the ride once, anyway). I truly believe that turbulence can be much worse than the Safari, anyway.

There's a whole thread on the Safari while pregnant from a week or 2 ago, you can probably find it if you look back far enough :)

Just a very quick post to THANK YOU all so much for these replies. I am work so can't read them all properly and take them in - I'll do that when I get home shortly.

THANK YOU so much again!!! :goodvibes :goodvibes

Julie xxx

In 2005 when we went I was 6 months pregnant. I avoided all rides with warnings except the safari. I had been on it before. I talked with my OBGYN about it because I couldn't see the need for the warning. The rest I could, at any stage of pregnancy. With my OBGYN (who had been on it too), we decided the safari would be fine and it was. It's no worse than some really bumpy roads, although roughness can vary by driver. The CMs took one look at me and put me in the front seat. I didn't really notice a big difference between sitting in the front v. the middle, but better safe than sorry. I've never sat in the back.

I went on all the other rides you listed with no problems. There is more you can do pregnant than not.

Congrats and enjoy your trip!

I went on everything at 5 months pregnant. Even BTMRR. My Ob was fine with it and said riding the rides was no more dangerous than a bumpy car ride.

What is an OB? Is that the American equivalent to a Midwife? Sorry for being dim - can I use the "I'm pregnant" excuse???!!! :rotfl: I am due to meet with my Midwife in 2-3 weeks time so I will ask her then. I might try and find ride descriptions and show them to her and see what she says?
Thank you for the post!

I was 5 months pregnant and rode all the rides you have listed last Sept. I was fine and my OB was fine with it. My dd (6 years old) was not...she was so worried that something would happen...it was really cute. I would double check with your OB but none of the rides listed bothered me nor did I feel like they were too rough. Have fun!!

That's really cute about your DD! :hug: My Mum will be worried too. We nearly backed out of the trip because she was getting worried about going so far away with me! But thankfully we are booked now and she is feeling more confident about taking me. She knows we will take it easy too which is good.

I rode all but Soarin and TSM (they weren't open) and everything was absolutely fine. When we went on the Safari I just braced myself and stayed kind of stiff so I didn't get shaken too much. My OB told me to stay away from rides with centrifical (sp?) force because it could cause seperation in the uterus, i.e. TOT, Mission Space, etc. I had a fabulous time when I went pregnant and did not feel left out at all! I have to go to HersheyPark in a week and will be 30 weeks and compared to WDW I will be alone the entire trip(not really it will just seem that way!) because there is nothing:sad2: for us preggo people to do there!
Have a fantastic time! And congrats on the new baby!:cloud9:

Thank you for the congrats! and to you too! I am suffering from VERY bad sickness at the moment, thankfully porridge and smoothies seem to be doing the trick (is our porridge your grits?) :)

Of the rides, you listed, only Kilomanjari Safari has a warning from WDW against riding it.

You can look at the park maps for the attractions with warnings - they are marked with a red triangle on the map and also on a sign at the entrance to the queue.
For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space
  • Test Track
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
  • Space Mountain
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Dinosaur

Soarin' doesn't have any warnings that would affect pregnancy; just heights and possibly motion sickness.

The Safari and Kali River Rapids are listed because you can get unexpected hard bumps and drops during the course of the ride. As someone mentioned, the Safari is less bumpy closer to the front, but it is still bumpy. We sit in the front seat because youngest DD needs to stay in her wheelchair; we still get bounced around a lot. It all depends on which ruts your ride car hits.

G forces are the reason for not riding Splash Mountain. The big drop takes you down at a very extreme angle at a high rate of speed (I think you get to 40 mph). At the bottom, your ride car stops abruptly. That sort of combination of fast speed drop at an extreme angle and then abrupt stop can theoretically cause placental abruption - where the placenta actually peels away from the wall of the uterus. That's the main reason for warnings at Splash Mountain.
for rides like Dinosaur, Star Tours, Test Track, Big Thunder Mountain you are not moving that fast, but can experience sudden changes of direction that jerk you around a lot.

Thanks for this - its all really useful and I really appreciate you taking the time to write it! Do you know if Pirates would be a no no because of the drop? I suddenly remembered the drop earlier this week and got quite sad because I love Pirates! But as many times as I have ridden it, I can't really recall how big / bad the drop it and what the landing is like at the bottom!

I don't know how far along you are. I went at 12 weeks and spoke with my OB first as I was concerned about the safari ride. She said she wouldn't recommend it during the 3rd trimester but before that was fine. I did all the rides you listed but Pirates has a small drop and although it was very small, it still made me a little nervous and I didn't ride it a 2nd time. Then again, I'm overly paranoid and following just about EVERYTHING+ (including no coffee even though my ob says I can have 1 cup a day).

I am nearly 6 weeks! I will be 17 weeks when we go to Disney so in my 2nd trimester. I would like to think I could do Pirates and the Safari, but I am like you said you are, overly paranoid and following everything to a T!!! But I will chat with my Midwife too I think!!!

Really, Dinosaur would be considered a 10/very rough? I thought it felt no different than riding in my dh's bumpy jeep, which I did all through my last pregnancy. :laughing:

Mum and I have definitely ruled out DINOSAUR - we like it but when we rode it in July, it was so rough! We never remember it being that rough!!!

I'll be 18 weeks pregnant when we visit in two weeks, and I'll be avoiding any rides that have cautions for pregnant women (of your list, I think the only one that qualifies is Kilimanjaro). In all honesty, I'd probably ride the Safaris if it was up to me, but DH is against it. His pointed out how hard we've worked to get here (multiple miscarriage, IVF, FET), and how awful it would be if we lost the baby and didn't know if it was because I rode something I was advised not to. It's a fair point, and WDW isn't going anywhere. I can ride everything some other time.

Congrats on your baby, and have a great trip!

Congratulations on your baby too! I'd be interested to hear from you on how you got on following your trip? Have a FAB time!!!

My sister did almost every ride in the park the last week of her first trimester. I would recommend you talk to your doctor he/she would be the one to advice you on what is best for you. Not every person is the same so even hearing stories of other peoples sucess on rides or even horror stories can not be taken personally. Only you and your doctor know your body and what you shouldnt be doing.
Btw my doctor told me I could continue running during my pregnancy and most would think that a no no....

Thank you! I had a friend who still ran during her pregnancy last year. Now she runs with the little one too (well jogs I suppose!)

I'll be 17 weeks when we go in a few weeks. As stated earlier, the only one with warning on your list is the Safari.

Personally, I'm going on the Safari, but will be sitting in the front seat (and I'll likely only do the ride once, anyway). I truly believe that turbulence can be much worse than the Safari, anyway.

There's a whole thread on the Safari while pregnant from a week or 2 ago, you can probably find it if you look back far enough :)

I'll have a look for it thanks - also would be interested to hear how you get on after your trip if you don't mind staying in touch? Thanks & have a FAB time!!!

In 2005 when we went I was 6 months pregnant. I avoided all rides with warnings except the safari. I had been on it before. I talked with my OBGYN about it because I couldn't see the need for the warning. The rest I could, at any stage of pregnancy. With my OBGYN (who had been on it too), we decided the safari would be fine and it was. It's no worse than some really bumpy roads, although roughness can vary by driver. The CMs took one look at me and put me in the front seat. I didn't really notice a big difference between sitting in the front v. the middle, but better safe than sorry. I've never sat in the back.

I went on all the other rides you listed with no problems. There is more you can do pregnant than not.

Congrats and enjoy your trip!

Thank you so much! That's the good thing about Disney than say, compared to Universal, even if I have to miss out on some of the rides I've listed, there is so so much more to do!!! Just the shopping alone!!!

Thanks again so much to everyone for your replies!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :hug:

With the exception of Toy Story Mania, since I haven't been on that one yet, I'd say all are fine. My daughter went on all of them at 8 weeks old, (not Soarin', but all others). If they're fine for an eight week old, I'd say just fine for a pregnant person.

Thanks for the info -- I'll be 10 wks pg when we travel and I'm looking forward to riding as much as I can. My OB has given me no restrictions but I'm still going to be cautious (no RnR :eek: for me!).

On our last trip I was 12 weeks pregnant. Did soarin, pirates, buzz and a few other gentle ones I can't think of right now and the sit down shows. Stayed away from test track, splash mtn. thunder mtn., everest. We didn't do Kilomanjaro but I would stay away from that one as well. A bit too rough in my opinion. Have a great time! :)

I'll be 18 wks at our upcoming trip but have also gone at 15 wks and 30 wks in previous pregnancies. I always enjoyed myself immensely! I've done all rides you mentioned (except TSM) although I have to admit I got a little nervous on Safari last time. A friend I visit often lives at the end of a crazy long gravel road. Every time I go there I comment to my husband that it's much worse than the Safari ride and she carried 3 babies to term:) I've never been nervous about Pirates, the landing at the bottom of the drop is extremely smooth in my opinion. Have a great trip and congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter