Help on resort for dd's graduation trip

swkmom

Mouseketeer
My dd (17) will be graduating in May. For her graduation trip she asked to go to Disney and will be bringing her best friend who is also graduating. The trip will be our graduation gift to her best friend. I asked my dd to look at pics online and make me a list of 4-6 resorts she would like to stay in.

There will be 5 of us total that we will be paying for, The travelers will be myself, dh, ds (14), dd, and dd's bff. The one thing my dd has requested is that we reserve 2 rooms so we have 2 bathrooms and more space. This is something I planned to do anyway.

The resorts she listed were POFQ (we've stayed here before), POR, BC, BWI, AKL, and WL. We will be traveling the last week of May. I'm leaning toward WL because with the spring discount it is a really good price for deluxe. I'd like to surprise her and tell her we booked POFQ or POR then show up at a deluxe (which is what she really wants).

Any input on the pros/cons of any of the deluxe resorts she listed? I'm not really sure I want to pay the price of BC or BWI but am willing if the pros outweigh the cons. Thanks in advance for the input.

A couple of years back, for son #2's high school graduation, we took him and a friend (and son #1), and stayed at the Swan. We wanted the Epcot resorts location, but didn't want to pay WDW resort prices. Our first stay at either Swan or Dolphin after years of BW and BC stays. We ended up loving the S/D resorts. I would highly recommend them, but don't know how the whole booking FP+ ahead of time is going to play out at the S/D. Right now, there is no pre-booking FP+. There are a few other differences between them and the WDW resorts, but non that mattered to us.

I think BWI would be an awesome choice. The kids will probably love the Boardwalk, and it could be a fun place for your daughter and her friend to hang out on their own without you and your husband being too far.

I think BC is a great second. The pool complex is AMAZING.

Did this for my DD and she chose Coronado. They LOVED it! Adult feel and they were down at the main pool until very late with others of like age.

Of your choices I would not do the AKL. LOVE the resort but for their age I wouldn't. So many small kids and the pool is very kid/family feel to it. Once my kids hit the upper teens they didn't want to stay anymore because of the lack of amenities for their age and the crowd. We visit BC alot to eat and walk around, but it has never been an interest of my kids when teens. The pool area has some fun options but lots of little kids. I hate that it's so big.

I would choose WL or BW. Love the WL's small size, it feels very intimate and deluxe, pool area is beautiful and relaxing, plenty of amenities even if just sitting out on the beach at night and of course the boat ride to MK. BW, I agree provides them the boardwalk area to hang out on and quick access to the two parks there. Has a completely different feel than most the resorts and would love to stay there. In the end, I would save the money to pay for more fun stuff and go with WL, especially if getting two rooms.

I totally agree about the Boardwalk area for teens, and the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS. That's why we stayed at the Swan. Same location, but much less expensive, especially because we were getting two rooms. Again, with FP+...don't know where S/D will end up with all of that. We also don't ever use the dining plan, so that wasn't a concern for us.

I think BWI would be an awesome choice. The kids will probably love the Boardwalk, and it could be a fun place for your daughter and her friend to hang out on their own without you and your husband being too far.

I think BC is a great second. The pool complex is AMAZING.

I agree. with kids that age I think having such easy access to two parks and being able to explore the bw would be a plus.

Do you know which resort is her no. 1 choice? I think I'd book that regardless of what it is, assuming you are willing to pay the cost.

sounds like such a nice thing to do for your daughter and her friend :) enjoy it!

I'd go Epcot area too if you can! :) I think Boardwalk would be a lot of fun for that age group as well- even tho it's not my favorite of all the resorts.

Lucky daughter!!!

Thanks for the input. Her number 1 choice was BC until she started looking at all the pictures. She now says she likes all of the ones she listed equally even POFQ and POR and for me to decide because she can't.

I think she really wants to stay at BC or BWI (she does have a little issue with the clown pool) but I think she's trying to help save money by letting me choose. She knows her college expenses will be coming up as well as remaining graduation expenses (not many of those left).

I would like to surprise her with a deluxe resort she would love and let her think we booked POR. I'd like to try to keep it a secret until we get to the Magical Express or at least until we get to our OKC airport. I have narrowed it to 3 BC, BWI, and WL.

Have you thought about renting points to stay in a 2 bedroom suite? Being 5 months out might be a problem but it's worth looking into.

I went with a friend when I was 16 and we stayed at Fort Wilderness in 1997. All these years later, the most memorable parts of that trip (the only parts I remember, actually) were the times my friend and I were able to run off and do things on our own without my parents. Back then that included swimming in Bay Lake, exploring the old Discovery Island, and riding the monorail in endless loops. (What can I say? It was a simpler time. Lol.) My point is, I think for two teenage girls the best option would be whatever gives them the most freedom to run off and do their own thing, so my vote would be for one of the Boardwalk resorts. Had AKL existed when I was a teen I would've given my left arm to stay there but I was/am an animal nut. Unless that's true for your daughter, too, they'd probably have more fun in the livelier atmosphere of the Boardwalk area.

We recently stayed at BC. SAB pool area was a hit with my teens. It was the first year we let them go off on their own and didn't worry. It was a nice stress free vaca!

So, I asked dd this afternoon, if money were no object where would she want to stay in WDW. She said the BC or YC. YC wasn't even on the list she gave me so that threw me for a loop. I responded to her by saying "oh wow, those are quite a bit, we'll probably stay at POR".

Looks like we're going with BC. I'm telling her I booked POR. Hope I can keep it a secret until then!

Thanks for all the input!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter