Help - On Property or Off?

zoegirl

DVC Wannabe
My husband has business in Orlando the end of April, so ds-5 and I have decided to tag along & have a "Mommy/Son trip". I'm trying to decide if we should stay at a non-disney resort (doubletree suites @DTD) or get a smaller (more expensive) room at a mod resort.
I'm weighing pros & cons of both & need some input.

Pros (of staying doubletree)
bigger 2 room suite
microwave, fridge, coffee maker
brekkie buffett
did i mention bigger room ??
cheaper than a mod
DH's company will cover all of this hotel

Cons (of staying non-disney)
no EMH
no "disney themed" pool
no large QS dining at resort
navigating around w/o disney transportation (this is least of cons, as i know my way around quite well)

Any extra opinions will be appreciated....

Until about 6 or 7 years ago we always stayed off property. But now that we've stayed on property, it's the only way I want to go. So far we've always stayed at POP and we love all the conveniences of being on property. I just love being totally immersed in the Disney atmosphere the whole time. So obviously my vote would be to stay on property.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip.

For myself, I can't see the benefit of staying off property. The rooms may be bigger or even a little cheaper, but how long do you really stay in your room? The EMH is a big plus for us. We also enjoy being right on property and not having to drive anywhere ( we are usually bushed and would not want to deal with it). One of my daughter's friends is coming with us in May and she is so excited about being able to actually stay on property. My vote would be for staying on property.

I am also a big fan of on-property...I have quit looking at prices off property...just bite the bullet and stay on! The benefits and intangibles of theming, EMH, and the whole feel of the resorts is enough for us!!

For me, the only way to get the total Disney feel is to stay on property. Staying off loses some of the magic. A couple years ago we went down last minute with my parents and stayed a few nights at a hotel off property before we switched to OKW. We were all SO happy when we got back on property. Disney also makes booking and planning so easy :thumbsup2

My husband has business in Orlando the end of April, so ds-5 and I have decided to tag along & have a "Mommy/Son trip". I'm trying to decide if we should stay at a non-disney resort (doubletree suites @DTD) or get a smaller (more expensive) room at a mod resort.
I'm weighing pros & cons of both & need some input.

Pros (of staying doubletree)
bigger 2 room suite
microwave, fridge, coffee maker
brekkie buffett
did i mention bigger room ??
cheaper than a mod
DH's company will cover all of this hotel

Cons (of staying non-disney)
no EMH
no "disney themed" pool
no large QS dining at resort
navigating around w/o disney transportation (this is least of cons, as i know my way around quite well)

Any extra opinions will be appreciated....
Free hotel! What a great opportunity! When a deal like that comes along, take advantage of it!

Visiting Disney and paying full price will always be there for you.

Who knows, you may be surprised that you actually prefer the Doubletree!

I too go back and forth with this problem. I usually stay on property but this last trip I stayed off....I was soooo miserable. I too take mommy/son trips (DS5) and we either stay at POP, or CB. I have to say STAY ON PROPERTY. It is so nice not to have to drive back and forth to the parks, not to mention pay parking, and be able to do the dining plan. The pools are sooo cool, always some other kids to play with, and I feel safe there with just the two of us. I was so uncomfortable off property. I won't do it again. I was only saving $30 but I gladly would have paid $60+ to not have to drive and park and to be able to whip out my room key for food!! I kinda felt like an outsider- heehee also EMH are so worth it!

We stayed off property for the first time last trip (Wyndham Bonnet Creek, located ON property next to Carribean Beach) and I say never again!!!

I always thought it sounded crazy "That Disney feel" really??? Disney feel?? That's nuts!! Well,,,,,,, not so nuts now that I have done it.

There was nothing wrong with the room, it was beautiful, spacious, lots to do at the resort-swimming, pool,ping pong, etc., movies at night on the lawn.The service was great. We had an issue when we first got to the resort, they rectified it ASAP without the blink of an eye. Just lacked that "Disney feel" IMAO! :rotfl:. You also got way more for your money, so crazy that I didn't enjoy it!

I'll tell you a little about us to assist in your decision making. We have an 8 & 10 yr old. We thought we needed more space. We tend to be commando, so I'm not sure what we needed the space for, more room to mess up if you ask me.
Yes, the kitchen was nice for breakfast, but I never had an issue eating breakfast in the room before, and I don't cook/make lunch or dinner on vacation.
Location was excellent, we usually go for value or moderate on-site, so location had nothing to do with not liking it. I really missed the food court and Disney store to browse at night, and funny, cause we almost never use the food court at a Disney hotel, but the store is one of my favorite things to do when I arrive.
Sometimes we rent a car and sometimes we don't, so busses have nothing to do with our decision. We didn't have the dining plan, and I didn't miss it at all. I enjoyed eating what I wanted.

That Disney feel, was all I could figure!!! We are booked at Port Orleans Riverside in September and I am sooo pumped to go this time, I really felt like I missed out last time!

I have to agree w/ others here. Our very first trip was at one of the DTD hotels and while it was nice enough, I would never stay offsite again now that we've stayed onsite. I totally understand the pp's comment about being immersed in the whole Disney experience/feel...that's how my entire family feels as well and the EMH's are a must for us.

The very first time I went to WDW we stayed off-site, but that was because we didn't know any better. The very next year we stayed on-site and have done so every summer since. I, too, enjoy browsing in the hotel store, and we always get the dining plan - it's just easier for us. We always eat at least one dinner in the food court and it is our tradition to eat breakfast in the food court on the day of check out. I love getting to ride the bus from our hotel to whichever park simply to see all the other happy people and also to see how many people are wearing a "first trip to Disney" button. It is just magical from check-in to check-out and I can't imagine doing it any other way.
BUT!!! Whatever route you choose I hope your trip with your son is truly magical!

With a 5 year old, I would always vote for on-site and recommend the all star movies!! we stayed there (17 of us- all ages) when my grandson was 5 and we all loved it, transportation, emh, theming, pools!! I would never stay off site - the "being disneyfied" is just too important.

Thank you all for the input. It shouldn't be such a difficult decision, but having stayed DVC for so long I'm spoiled by that "disney magic".

It's looking like we'll have to stay non-disney b/c that's what DH's company will pay for. You know how it is, they give you "x" number of dollars to spend on a room in certain areas, & unless we want to stay at a value, it'll have to be non-disney. I have nothing against value, but I'm spoiled & like a more quiet room with a little more space during an extended stay.

It's going to be an adventure staying non-disney but it's free hotel so I'll take it.

We always stay on site (except for our 1st WDW trip, when we didn't know any better :laughing:) But last Aug, we stayed our first night at the DTD Doubletree, and it was very nice :thumbsup2 (I decided to come in a day early, and didn't want to change my package, and I have APs)

Huge living room, with flat screen TV, round dining table, and the bar with a sink, fridge, microwave, and coffee service. I seem to remember they had Starbucks.

We had a 2 bed suite, can't remember if they were queens or full, but bedroom was spacious too, with a nice dressing area and closet just off the bathroom. Crabtree & Evelyn products in the bathroom. Flat screen TV in bedroom too.

Breakfast was good. Pool area- meh. Just a pool. Not like the pretty Disney pools, but really other then a lackluster pool, and no themed, landscaped grounds, the hotel itself is very nice. You'll be comfortable for sure. We thought it was very nice.

The busses run on a 30 min schedule.

Free is good :thumbsup2 It's a nice hotel, you'll have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter