Help on buying girls presents

gracie1

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I am helping out a single mom this year who is having a tough time. She has 3 girls - ages 7, 10,12. I am looking for ideas of some affordable gifts or opinions. So far I have gotten them:

5 barbies, barbie car, candyland game, chutes and ladders game, sorry game, coloring books and crayons, disney (small poster with markers that you color), nailpolish, polish remover, hair accessories, lipgloss.

I am trying to make it to where nothing is assigned to each child and the girls can all open gifts and share everything.

Does my list look ok?? Am I missing out on anything?

Thanks!

I hate to say it, but Chutes and Ladders and Candyland are for preschoolers, and I know at least my dd7 is over Barbies (but not all are). I can't imagine they don't have Sorry. I doubt the 11 and 12 year olds are going to enjoy coloring books. The older girls are probably into more expensive items (laptops, ipod touches), but you can get things like makeup, body lotion, inexpensive jewelry, perfume... Maybe some fun socks, gloves - the 7 year old probably still like sparkly things.

If you want board games, Apples to Apples, Pictionary, Monopoly, Life - all age appropriate.

I hate to say it, but Chutes and Ladders and Candyland are for preschoolers, and I know at least my dd7 is over Barbies (but not all are). I can't imagine they don't have Sorry. I doubt the 11 and 12 year olds are going to enjoy coloring books. The older girls are probably into more expensive items (laptops, ipod touches), but you can get things like makeup, body lotion, inexpensive jewelry, perfume... Maybe some fun socks, gloves - the 7 year old probably still like sparkly things.

If you want board games, Apples to Apples, Pictionary, Monopoly, Life - all age appropriate.

Actually, they have no board games. These children have always gotten some toys are christmas, but there has always been a struggle. The 12 year old still loves playing barbies with her sisters. And they sit at the table and color. They play school, etc. They have 1 tv in the household with no cable, and they do have a video game system with 1 game that they will play. Otherwise, they mostly play school and things like that. They have no radios, stereos, ipods, cell phones, etc. Probably don't even have an alarm clock. This mother has always struggled just to make sure her kids are clothed and fed, and the other material items were not affordable.

What a wonderful idea! My 8yo DD loves art supplies and if they all sit at the table to color, sounds like that would be a good family gift. New crayons, markers, paper, maybe some scissors, glitter pens, etc. Could be used to play school too.

Actually, they have no board games..

Well, if they have no board games, you can still get inexpensive games that are age appropriate - chutes and ladders and candyland are boring for kids over the age of 5 (and painful for adults ;)). How about checkers?

I imagine you got Chutes and Ladders and Candyland on a good sale. Can you return them and use the refund to buy one other game - I would suggest Trouble or Sorry, maybe Monopoly (though I personally don't care for Monopoly - all that money to keep track of!) I would try to get one more Barbie so each girl could have 2 to play with. Maybe 3 of the inexpensive Barbie outfits so they could have a change of clothes a piece?

What about "fun" hygiene things like spin toothhbrushes, the inexpensive bath gels and body lotions? Things they might love but Mom might not buy in favor of buying a more frugal, all purpose option.

I think your list sounds good. My DD is eight and would enjoy coloring books and Barbies. If you could find a good deal on it, or if the price is in your budget, what about the Crayola Tower of Crayons. DD really wants that LOL and it has tons of crayons they could share and it would be easy to store.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the ideas, I think I will get somemore girly things like nail art stuff. I understand about the games, but like I said, they've never had any board games, and the mother said this would be good. But now I am contemplating on whether to add monopoly to the list.The only thing with that game and children is they lose the money and all that comes with it!

My dd is 7 almost 8 and I shop for a 10 and 12 year old too. I would return Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. I highly recommend Bop It! It is so much fun. Even Mom will get in on the action. I've seen it for as low as 9.99 this season. A great gift for all the ages!

I think all the girls would like nailpolish, nail kits, make up type stuff. That really covers all the ages.

Another fun game might be Pictureka. We don't have it yet but I know a lot of friends who do and it seems their whole families love it.

It's very thoughtful what your doing. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Ok, you all have made my mind up to return the candyland and chutes and ladders. I think I will pick them up monopoly instead.
So monopoly and sorry should be good!

Thanks

My daughter is 6.5 and loves board games, drawing, books, and Webkinz and littlest Petshops. I really recommend books for xmas! The early reader ones that they can read themselves are great for the older kids as well as first chapter books such as Judy Moody series or Junie B. Jones books are great too. My kids love kids cook books. They get to help make the food and eat it too!

LEGOS believe it or not are also fun for girls :) If you have a Marshalls or TJ Max store near you they have great and affordable gifts for young girls inlcuding Hello Kitty stuff, paper dolls, art projects, cute slippers, and fun purses and makeup sets! So does the Five and Under store too. They have lots of fun projects, books, toys, art supplies, and even tshirts, sunglasses, room decor and really nice fleece blankets right now. Littlest Petshops are fairly affordable and my daughter can play with these for hours! Kids do not need a lot of flashy and expensive items to have a great christmas. I am sure your kids will be happy with what you can afford :) Have a great holiday:santa:

I don't know what your budget is, but my daughter has always loved the Gingerbread House Kits. She can spend hours decorating one. She is almost 14 years old and still wants me to buy one for her to decorate this year.

If they have a DVD player a subscription to Netflix could be fun. They could watch lots of movies and TV shows that way, and Mom could enjoy it too. But if they don't have internet, they'd have to go to the library to update the queue so that could be hard.

If you know what game system they have, maybe another game for it? Especially if it's something old like a playstation you could maybe even find groups of games on ebay for sale pretty cheap.

I think Monopoly is a good option. I stopped playing Candyland at about 4, so I can't imagine any of those girls liking it. Gift cards to bookstores would also be nice, or maybe a 'coupon' for regular rides to your local library for a year from you, if Mom is too busy to take them? I'm just trying to think of stuff that might provide them with more along with playing pretend since it seems like they already do that a lot already and the older ones will probably be growing out of it very soon.

Are they participating in any sports? Pink shin guards or cleats could be helpful to mom and loved by the kids.

So nice of you:hug: My 12 year old loves crafts, maybe a bracelet making kit? She also loves lotions from bath and Body works...maybe a fun holiday scent that they could all use.

Hi everyone. I am helping out a single mom this year who is having a tough time. She has 3 girls - ages 7, 10,12. I am looking for ideas of some affordable gifts or opinions. So far I have gotten them:

5 barbies, barbie car, candyland game, chutes and ladders game, sorry game, coloring books and crayons, disney (small poster with markers that you color), nailpolish, polish remover, hair accessories, lipgloss.

I am trying to make it to where nothing is assigned to each child and the girls can all open gifts and share everything.

Does my list look ok?? Am I missing out on anything?

Thanks!

It is nice that you are trying to help but the bolded gifts are all too young for the girls.

There is no way to make the gifts work for a 7 and a 12 year old. At 12 clothes become important where as a at 7 they still love toys.

Have you asked the Mom what is on their Christmas lists this year?

I agree with the other posters about the list looking young. Nail polish is a great idea along with other makeup items (but mostly nail polish). Do you have a Rite Aid? They have a line of makeup that has nail polish, eye glitter, etc for $1-$2 each. If the kids like games then board games are great. My DDs are 11 and 9. The love Apples to Apples, Moncala (sp?, very cheap at Target), Life, Clue, Checkers and many others. They also love string to make friendship bracelets. You could buy them a book with several colors. If you can find out what game system they like you can get a used game at Best Buy or Game Stop for less than $15.

first of all to you :lovestruc for helping this mom....The only thing i would say is I agree with the others about the list more appealing to the little one on the list..........

can you look into Older items for those preteen girls? (the 10/12 year olds)

I agree with PP regarding the craft kits to make bracelets and necklaces. All of the girls would be appropriate age for the friendship bracelet kits and could share it. Extra thread to make more bracelets is very cheap at craft stores, buy the thread that is used for cross stitch, it's usually around 3 skeins for a $1. My 8 year old loves this as do the older girls around here.

You mentioned that they don't have a radio, so I would think that would be an excellent gift. You can get them relatively inexpensively and they could then use it for dancing to their favorite songs...again, all could share that.

I would recommend an UNO game as a replacement for the Candyland and Shutes and Ladders. They have a huge range in price, but you can stick with the cheaper ones. There is even just the basic card game, which is around $5. Lots of fun for all ages and they can all play together. Jenga is another fun one for all ages and again, they can all play together, with no age limit. Since you already have Sorry, it may be nice to get a non-board game.

Lovely of you to do this for that family...I'm sure whatever you give will bring them tons of fun and smiles! :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I spoke with their mom, and she said to keep what I have gotten them.
I thought my list looked a little young after you all pointed it out, but she said that all her girls still play with Barbie's, and if the two board games seem young for the others then the younger girl can play with it with her friends.
I think I will still pick up monopoly and maybe a bracelet making kit or something like that. I have been trying to find a chalkboard because everytime I have been over there their all coloring or playing school.
I might pick up an art set for the one girl (the oldest) who is very artistic and loves to draw and color.

Thanks again for all the help!! I appreciate the suggestions. I am just happy that what I have purchased is good for the kids and the mom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter