• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! No experience in RVing!

Hokie4lyf

Earning My Ears
Hi everybody,

We stayed at the Fort last summer (in a cabin) and were wowed with the disney decorated RVs that we witnessed. Since returning from our trip and thinking forward to future stays, we have begun strongly considering getting an RV. It looks like fun to have your own little personal place in WDW to return to at the end of the day. The problem is we have no experience in this area and have no idea what to look for in an RV :confused3. We do not own a truck, so pull behinds are out of the question. We would like to start out with something not too expensive just to make sure this is what we want for the long haul. Do you all have any recommendations on types of RVs or where to look for the best deals? Thanks in advance!

My first suggestion would to rent one first to see if it is for you. Buying is a whole different story, you need to check out different makes and models to see floor plans that will work best for you. There is a lot to take into consideration, for example; how many people do you need to sleep, can you store it at your residence, what is your budget, etc. lots of questions and lots of answers.
Go to a local RV show and check out whats out there, ask questions, and like I said, rent one for a weekend and try it out. Good luck.

Best Regards,
Norm

There is a whole lot to consider with purchasing an RV.
Are you going to use it often?
place to store?
Gas or Diesel, depends on $ and usage?

We have been having our Holiday Rambler Admiral (gas)for 5 years now. We bought it brand new from a company in California. (they delivered cheaper than we could buy one in Louisiana) We love it. We love camping and we tailgate for LSU games. Came in handy for Hurricane Katrina as well.
I think I regret buying a brand new because they do depreciate very quick but I can't complain.

I have not brought it to Disney.

You might want to check out www.rv.net for advice and things to consider.

Just some random thoughts!

This is such an exciting proposition!! So many things from which to choose!!

By knowing that you want a MH, that does clear the field of a lot of things, so that helps...but let me ask, do you have a budget or have you won the lottery? That will, again, help to narrow the choices.

Look for your nearest, biggest RV show. Even when I am not shopping, it is such fun to go and see what is being offered. Lie on the beds, sit on the potty, stand in the shower.

How many will be in your camping group? Dogs, cats, gerbils??

If I were shopping for a MH right now (we have a TT that we are very satisfied with) I would be looking for a lightly used Lazy Daze Class C. Well made, holds their value well. But there are just the two of us (plus two little dogs).

Good luck,

Cathy

We have a fairly inexpensive camper that we used to take to WDW every year. We also use it once or twice in the summer near home.

The major things I would take into account are:

Do you have the cash? In this economy, you do not want to tie your $$ up in an RV.
Do you have or can you afford a tow vehicle ... make sure it is appropriate for what you plan to tow.
Do you have a place to store your RV?
How often will you use the RV?

These can all be budget busters. I also envy those with the larger RV's that have bathrooms and A/C, but know that the cost is more than I would get out of them.

Currently it is cheaper for us to fly to Orlando and rent a car, staying in a Value resort than it is to tow the camper and stay at Ft. Wilderness. I really, really miss the Fort, but am able to vacation more by flying and staying at a Value.

We started our family camping adventures with a tent ... might I suggest you start there and see if you like it? Most people I know begin that way ... some progress to RV's, but other families just aren't cut out for "roughing" it.

If money is no object, then jump right in!

Rent one for a trip Watch the movie RV when you get back if you laugh your tail off because you can relate then your hooked and its time to shop!

Renting one is good advice. There is a Cruise America RV rental location right in Orlando. It will be money well spent as you can experience the good and bad points without a heavy inve$tment.

Best Regards!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter