HELP netbook or notebook

hearts8701

Castle
i am buying a new computer and have a question about notebooks verses netbooks can u use wifi with a netbook i only be using the computer for internet facebook checking email etc

Yes, you can use a netbook for wifi uses only. I have both a laptop and a netbook. For work and stronger processing, a laptop is a better buy, but if you're just using it for internet options, a netbook should suit you just fine.

When considering a netbook, try to get one with the biggest battery power. I have one with a 6 cell battery and that lasts over 8 hours. A lot of smaller netbooks only have a 3 cell battery, which may only last three hours....

I have a netbook, but after having to re-install my OS I really wish I went with a laptop. If you go with a netbook, pick up an external CD ROM drive because eventually you will need it.

Oh, I agree. Get an external CD drive and external hard drive.

great tip about battery life i have a laptop but i was looking for something smaller for traveling so it would only have to have the bascis for internet use

Thats exactly what I use my netbook for...either internet from the couch or while travelling.

i was interested in the Dell Netbook PC with Intel Atom N455 Processor, Windows 7 Starter at walmart the price is right
or the Toshiba 10.1" Netbook PC with Intel Atom N455 Processor & Windows 7 Starter
it has a 6 cell Li ion battery what r ur thoughts

I don't know anything about that netbook specifically, I would check on websites like amazon for reviews on it. In general, though, I think people are happy with their Dell products.

I have an Acer 6 cell with the Windows 7 starter. I've been very happy with it.

Also, when you get the netbook, it may come preloaded with various programs. Make sure to remove those that you're not going to use, it'll speed up your processor!

i was interested in the Dell Netbook PC with Intel Atom N455 Processor, Windows 7 Starter at walmart the price is right
or the Toshiba 10.1" Netbook PC with Intel Atom N455 Processor & Windows 7 Starter
it has a 6 cell Li ion battery what r ur thoughts

I have a Dell Inspiron mini something or other netbook :laughing: I would definitely get the 6 cell battery, I have had mine for less than 2 years and I'm already on my 2nd 3 cell, and now this one needs to be replaced since full charge is now down to 1 1/2 hours. Also the plug is very bulky and heavy so eventually you will needh to prop it up so that it stays plugged in. I don't have that problem anymore since I tripped over the cord and ripped it out of the wall so now it won't stay in a wall outlet :laughing: My harddrive also just died, and I know it happens but Its been under 2 years so I'm not too happy with that. Between the replacement harddrive, the external CD drive, the battery, and a new power adaptor I could probably just get a brand new netbook.
I purchased mine from Dell as a Previously Ordered New (different fro.m refurbished) using a 20% off code, so I got what I thought was a good deal, at least until now less than 2 years later when I need to spend just as much to fix its issues.

The Toshiba is likely more expensive but i have a Toshiba netbook and it is a wonderful little machine. Upgrade the memory to 2-gig and it will be just as snappy as a full size notebook. I get an honest 9-10hrs of battery life, i have office on it and use it for everything i use my laptop for. The nice part it is the size of a hard cover book. You have to figure out if down range you will need to use it for just surfing or actual work. If you are not sure then get a laptop. If you sign up for the Newegg sales everyday you can pick up an actual laptop for less then $400 and in some cases less then $300... So you can get a low end laptop for the cost of a high end netbook.

...that is full price for the Toshiba. If you are dead set on a Netbook (and i am not saying there is anything wrong with that, i love my netbook) then you really are only going to save less then $30 waiting until they are on sale. Since they are already pretty cheap. You really do need to up the memory to 2gigs. So plan to get another memory card for it asap. Should be less then $40 for that but it will seriously improve performance (tons of videos on utube on how to change the memory card). Also remember Windows 7 basic is basically a modern version of XP... So no aero even though with the 2gig of memory the tosh will run Win 7 home premium with full aero and all...

thank you everyone great advise from the dis board again i knew i could count on you
think i'm going with the dell netbook
one more question if i buy it from walmart where do i go to upgrade to the 2gigs of memory?

I have a netbook and a laptop (and a stand alone PC). I love my netbook for traveling, but that's it. I would never want to type on that or use it as my only computer. If you had to choose, I would go with the larger of the 2. Keep in mind that a netbook does NOT have a disk drive, so you will have to buy a portable disk drive if you ever need to load software on it and its on a disk. I also have a portable disk drive for my yearly download of my security software.

I just went through this excercise and last week I purchased a Toshiba Satellite 15'6" laptop. It gets pretty good reviews on Amazon.

They were on sale at Office Depot for $327. It's perfect for FB, email, Dis:goodvibes

Decent battery life, about 4hrs but I love that it has a full size keyboard and N-wireless.

To get all the accessories I would need with the Netbook, would have cost at least $100 more.

I already have an Iphone, so between the 2 of them I should be pretty well connected

That's true...$300 for the netbook, $40 for a external disc drive and $40 for the memory you are up to $380 + tax and you could get a laptop for not too much more and not have to add anything.

using newegg (not suggesting these items or vendor but it is easy to find things on newegg.com so i use them due to my laziness :) )
netbook in blue http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214198
netbook in brown http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214199
the netbook in orange http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214201
the netbook in lime green http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214200
memory (cheap unknown manuf) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144275
memory good quality known manuf http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146723
cheap external dvd (asus) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135236

I bought both my DD's netbook's (Acer's) and we paid $189.00 for each of them at Target. I use it ALOT! I like fact I can sit on the couch and check my e-mail and be on here all while watching my t.v. show's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter