help needed with Gulf Coast Hotels

kar123

Earning My Ears
We are due to travel to Florida in 7 weeks for 1 week at Universal RPR and one week on the the Gulf Coast.

Unfortunately we have received some upsetting news that the Villa we had booked privately on the Gulf Coast for second week of hols has lost its roof and got a damaged pool because of Charley.

Obviously we feel very upset for the owner and all the locals that are now without homes, power, water etc etc.

We will now have to rethink our holiday plans. My DH in particular was really looking forward to the second week as we had hired a speedboat and he loves boating and fishing.

Does anybody out there have any bright ideas for alternatives ? We were supposed to have been staying in Cape Coral but I beleive this and Sanibel, Fort Myers have suffered the most. We have flights booked to return from Naples so need to stay on the Gulf. I am thinking it may be easier to try a nice Hotel with lots going on thats good for kids. I like the look of HYATT Regency COCONUT Point but they are also out of action for while due to Charley.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Others will almost certainly disagree with me here, but I haven't see ANY hotels at the Gulf Coast that I'd want to stay at. In fact I didn't like the Gulf Coast at all, far too souless for me.

However, as you need to stay there, why not get a few brochures to look at what's available and then just book yourself, either online or by telephone.

Good luck.

Gill

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I'm really sorry to hear about your news. The good thing is you have 7 weeks to find a new place for you and your family to have a great holiday:Pinkbounc

Try a search engine on the web for the area you wish to stay. Were going there in a few weeks but further up in Indian Rocks, We havn't heard anything about Charley hitting there so i hope we get there and our hotel is ok.:Pinkbounc

Good luck, Hope you find somewhere just as nice:Pinkbounc

Michelle:wave:

Hello,

Don't know if this is any help for you, but here are some nice looking hotels in Naples?

I don't know if they suffered any impacts from Charley or not.

I hope you get something sorted out - I'm sure you will, there are loads of lovely looking places down Naples way. Let us know what you decide!

Cheers

Karen

Hi,
We have a timeshare on Fort Myers beach so have been watching the damage situation closely.
Some of the hotels could be open again as early as Monday but the area will be a mess for at least a couple of months apparently.
We still don't know if our place will be ok by the end of Oct.
Having said that, Naples and Marco Island weren't badly hit, Sarasota could well be ok and Clearwater & St. Pete's are both fine. All have boating and fishing facilities so you still have loads of choice.
Good Luck,
Carol

miffy

i love the threads where you have replied as you seem to be a walking encyclopedia and always have a really good link for any occasion.

love

lucy

:wave2:

Many thanks for your replys. Keith and carol I sincerely hope your place is ok on Fort Myers Beach. We stayed there many years ago in a lovely house on stilts ( guess that may not have survived ) and also at the Outrigger ( Love the restaurant opposite but cant remember its name ! )

I will find time over next week to do a really detailed seach and hopefullly will find something equally as nice as the vila that we had booked.

We have friends south of Sarasota and they told us that the hurricane passed south and east of them, so if you could get accommodation from Sarasota north you should be fine. Siesta Key is lovely as is Longboat key, the strip from St Petes to Clearwater is more built up but there are many hotels and apartments.
Good luck.

we are considering a home for next july on CAPE CORAL AD WITH GREAT RENTALs 4525 punch it inot googleCOMES WITH ITS OWN BOAT . tHEY ARE INTACT AS I spoke with the owner this week. It is not cheap but if you factor the boat into the equation does not seeem too bad. We paid 180 dollars for a half day boat rental from Captiva in early July.
Hope this is of some help

Can't help very much with hotel suggestions, sorry, as we have mainly stayed in villas on the Gulf Coast. However, if you didn't mind going a little further north up the coast, we liked the Plantation Inn at Crystal River (still in the Virgin Brochure, I think) and had a wonderful time watching the manatees in this area. I'm not sure I'd want to stay more than a few days in the area, but if you're happy to relax then it might suit you for your second week. :)
googleCOMES WITH ITS OWN BOAT
LOL! We had a villa 'with boat' at Cape Coral a couple of years ago - there certainly was a boat, but it was a collapsible/put-it-on-the-roof-rack kind of boat, rather than the motor launch we'd hopefully envisaged ;) Had a great tiome there anyway, and the boat was fine for DH to pootle up and down the waterway in search of fish :teeth:

Hilary,
This is a real boat, 23hp speedboat!!!! well unless they put a fake picture on the site!!!!
I love boats but the kids usually say "not another boat trip mum" if we have our own they will love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter