Help! Need to convince hubby...

As many other people have said already, I would try to see if you can figure out some things at WDW that he would enjoy and be willing to compromise. If you can make a point of finding activities he might enjoy or giving him some time to just relax at the hotel for a bit if at all possible, I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Weird as it may seem to Disney fans like us, not everyone is crazy about Disney and WDW. My DH is great about going to the parks, but there are still things that he doesn't like doing there. And there are people who just find it silly, sappy, insanely expensive, or even just something they don't really enjoy anymore. Which is fine, as everyone is entitled to their own opinions and feelings. If your DH can at least make an effort to do it because the rest of his family really wants to and not act like he's having a miserable time 24/7, I think that's probably the most you can ask. Maybe once he's there, he'll really start enjoying himself, but don't push him to act like he is, so long as he's not being horrible and spoiling the whole vacation.

I have been a Disney nut since I can remember, my husband who has never been until October last year didn't want anything to do with it. He still is not totally into but he will go and have a good time with me. I like excitement and always want to be on the go. He likes relaxing, fishing, swinning at the pool.
When we went for 5 days it was non-stop go, go, go. He would of had a better time if we didn't get up at the crack of dawn and go to bed at mid-night every night. But with only 5 days who has time to rest and sit by the pool? He's never been and there's so much to see. I should have taken it a little bit easier on him and let him do a little relaxing. Anyway he loved the thrill rides, the MNSSHP, fireworks, and the food. He didn't want to do the character breakfast at all but once pooh and the gang started making thier way around he got excited and was looking for the next character to come around. He loved it!!!
Next year I'm planning on a 2 week trip with some down time for him. Also as a surprise I'm reserving a time for the driving experience, he's going to flip.
Another thing you could do for your hubby is to get a sitter and have a nice dinner with just you and him like at the Castle for fireworks, or California Grill during the fireworks. There's fishing, golf, his and her spa treatment, horse and buggy ride, smores with chip and dale, petting zoo at fort wilderness, horse back riding, and lots more.
Another favorite is drinks around the world. You get a drink at each of the countries in the world showcase and people watch. Most men like that part.
Just relax have fun and don't sweat it if you don't get to do everything you want, there's always next year.

:yay: When you go to HWS take your DH to Walts Dream exhibit, it gives the history behind all of Disney, and takes some of the corporate out of it. Walt wanted somewhere to be able to go with his kids and be able to share the fun with them. Did he accomplish that or what?:goodvibes

My husband is kinda the same. I find it best not to talk to him too much about Disney. I do all the planning and involve the kids. Once my husband is at Disney he always has a good time. He really enjoys the rides and is happy to see the kids having fun. Just don't push Disney on him too much. When he is there is will have a great time.

Same for mine. I don't think it's easy to convert somebody until they have actually been there. Once there, he'll realize it's a fun place to spend time with his family.

Another aspect to your "sell" is the value of going to (and staying in) Disney, is the "all inclusive" aspect. For me, I think it is a no-briner type of vacation: we can always find food the kids will like somewhere, don't have to park a car anywhere, can pay for almost all of the bill beforehand, have so many options for active park time or quiet down time, the choices are just staggering. You really don't get the choices anyplace else. My husband likes going, but isn't the nut I am, :banana: and even he can see the options we can get there.

Whatever happens, please make sure DH understands how conflicted the kids will be if continues to complain once you're there. It will be really hard for them if they're having a fantastic time, but don't feel like they can show it because it will upset Dad. Hope everything works out and you have a great time!

We just got back a couple of weeks ago from our first trip. DH was TOTALLY against the trip. He hated the thoughts of the heat, the shows, the crowds, the cost of the trip, driving to the airport, the flight and Florida in general.

Let me tell you. He LOVED IT! He and the kids talk about it and the resort daily (we stayed at WL) and he now says his beloved Wisconsin Dells (which we go to every year - we only live an hour away) will never be the same.

The 1st day he was completely anti-show and just ran from ride to ride. By the middle of the 2nd day he was loving them (although we still put the thrill rides first).

Before we left he wanted absolutely nothing to do with the planning. I made sure to pick a cooler and slower time of year, a resort that I thought he'd enjoy the most and bought the DDP so we our el-cheapo mode wouldn't kick in every time we sat down to eat. Once he got comfortable and knew what to expect he really relaxed and had a wonderful time. He enjoyed everything about WDW & WL including the transportion. He grumbled about ADR's and having to get certain places for them, but tells everyone how much he loved Ohana's. He even went so far as to say that if he could get a job driving one of the tour boats (or something on that order) that we would move.

He hasn't said anything about going back (but it's only been 2 weeks) and he may not because of the cost and the fact that we're trying to sock money away and there being other places we want to visit, but it wouldn't surprise me one single bit if he decides he wants to go back again in a couple of years.

Thats one reason we do the dining plan too. "el cheapo" mode would hit real fast if he had to hand that money out at each meal. :lmao:

My husband was pretty anti-Disney too. He thinks its a big money pit and its "the man" trying to get your money blah blah blah. He says the same about my tattoo artist.. he might be right in that one ;)

Either way -- once he goes he might change his mind. Has he been active in planning it? DH has been lurking on the Dis and searching out the meals.. I think hes getting excited.

And just think, even if hes not -- youre still going! :lmao:

Hello! I am the convert in our family, and as in most cases, I am now the more fanatical one! DH never reads the DIS boards! :goodvibes

I got hooked by the outstanding customer service and the Magic (when Merriweather waved right at me, I became 5 years old again!). I am also interested in the attention to detail that is put into all of the attractions and theming.

I agree with pp's that you might try to find things to interest your DH, such as quiet time, adult beverages, the spas, the fine dining restaurants, maybe fishing at POR? Something that meets his idea of vacation, in addition to seeing his children experience the magic. I have enjoyed the "Imagineers Guide to..." books. That might get his interest if he is a "how things work" guy....Of course, Disney finds ways to get us to spend money, but I always feel that I get good value for my money. And they do not nickel-and-dime us, which is how I felt when I found out that Universal's version of fast pass cost extra.I suspect that people who don't want to go to WDW think it is just an amusement park, when we know that it is really so much more.

My other half grew up in central Florida and made countless visits to the MK in high school and college (since that was the only park in those days). Her attitude toward Disney was basically "been there, done that, and why would I want to do it again??" She saw it as a tourist trap and a money pit. I, on the other hand, love love love WDW.

A couple of years ago, she let me include a couple of days at WDW on a trip down to see some of her high school friends, since my birthday was during the trip, so she got to experience Epcot and AK for the first time. But she still wasn't a convert.

Last year, after I had gone through an extremely difficult 18 months, she agreed to a week at WDW. It was very clear that this was just because I'd had such a rough time and she knew that I needed something to look forward to, and not because she wanted to go or was looking forward to it herself. We stayed on-property (first time for her), so she really got the total immersion Disney experience. I made sure to include things that I knew she would really enjoy, like the Segway tour in Epcot, and picked restaurants that I knew she would like. I also made a deal with her that she could leave the parks and come back to the resort or take the car and go do her own thing at any time that she wanted (except when we had ADRs at some of the signature restaurants), and I could stay in the parks by myself if I chose, including a couple of days while she went to visit relatives. Once we were in the parks, she never actually took advantage of the escape option (except one day when she was sick), but I think it helped her to know that she wasn't trapped in the parks for the whole day.

And wonder of wonders, we had a convert!! Now, she's never going to be the WDW freak that I am, but when I suggested a trip for my birthday this year, she readily agreed. She commented that a trip to WDW is really refreshing, because it is a definite escape from the "real world." We're planning to do another tour on this trip, probably either the Fort Wilderness Segway tour, or the all-day Behind the Magic tour (which was HER idea!). She even asked if I would extend the trip by an extra couple of nights, so that she could make the necessary visit to relatives, and still have a full week's vacation at WDW.

So it's definitely possible. Be sure to plan some things that you know your DH will enjoy. (We highly recommend the Segway tour!) If he's concerned about the heat, plan to take afternoon breaks and spend them in the pool at your resort. And if part of his issue is that he thinks he will be bored in the parks, or the crowds will frustrate him, consider offering him the escape clause.

Good luck! Be sure to let us know how it went when you get back!!

Convertion is absolutely possible! My fiance was dead-set against going to Disney the first time we went in May 2007. I begged and begged to finally go, and then he reluctantly agreed. He refusd to talk about planning at all and seemed almost embarassed we went. When we finally talked about why, he actually equated Disney World to a lifesize Candyland. He'd never been before, so all he imagined was a little kids paradise. When we did go, he LOVED it!! In 2008, we went in both May and December and are planning another trip! Let him find something to be really excited about, maybe DisneyQuest, renting a boat, or something. When my DF finally looked into things, he got excited about the waterparks...which really helped. Good luck!!

Me and DH absolutely love Disney we went for the first time in 2006 and now our third trip is in Dec. I am not sure how you can convince him because some people really have no idea what Disney is actually like and don't think they will like it. I have seen it many times but then they go and love it. I think it's something that some people who never really paid much attention to what it is don'e realize what it is and thinks it is kiddish and only for kids. My best friend and me have argued multiple times about Disney because she tries telling me things like Disney would be boring and that she would hate it. She says she is going to take her kids someday but she doesn't want to go at all and if it was up to her wouldn't (she basically makes it sound like it would be complete torture for her to go...you would think she was being sent to boot camp). She actually once told me that she would be nauseous withing 30mins of being in the park even if she hadn't even gone on a ride just from being there :confused3 . I keep telling her you really don't understand it or know what it is trust me when you go there you will understand it is just so amazing. She just doesn't get it at all. I think it is going to take him going there to realize he will enjoy himself. Maybe try showing him pictures or videos online and try to educate him on what the parks are. That's the only suggestion I have cause if telling him about what is in the parks or showing him doesn't work nothing will. But he does need to stop bringing down the trip for the rest of the family whether he wants to go or not maybe try telling him how you feel.

My husband is not a big fan, but I managed to get him there 3 times. This last time I booked him the Epcot segway tour and he loved it. He had always dreamed of having his own segway for work. (A little strange, I know!) He sucks it up for our son and, this last trip, for his grandson.

My dh complained during the whole 12 months i was planning our trip. He ended up having a great time and when we were leaving said he would love to go back in a few years. Well, now, if you ask him he says itwas the biggest waste of money and there's no reason to go on vacation. Some people are just lame and there's no talking them into a good time. :)

For me, it wasn't DH that was the problem, it was my dad. We offered my family (mom, dad and 2 sisters) to stay at our timeshare with us in Disney for a week. My dad was the only one who griped about it. It took a few months for him to even say he was going to grace us with his presence. He ended up having a great time, even with all the walking and the 90+ degree weather (complete with storms and threats of hurricanes--it was September).

Ever since that trip, every time I see him he comments about how he wishes he was in Florida right that second. He also keeps hinting (and not so subtlely, lol) that he would love it if I planned another trip for him to enjoy! He even keeps tabs on the Orlando weather! :rotfl: This past winter has been long and somewhat brutal (and totally annoying) for us, so it always makes me want to :yay: when I hear him comment "ya know, it's xx degrees in Disney right now...don't you just want to be there?" :thumbsup2

Conversion is totally possible, especially when you least expect it! I agree with the poster who suggested to include your DH in the dining plans. I think it's a great way to get someone involved. And I also truly believe that Disney has tried really hard to provide something for everyone. I'm sure there is something for your DH to enjoy, you just need to figure out what it might be.

Good luck with your planning an dhave a great time!

Hi!

My DW and I were somewhat sceptical about Disney however felt that we should take our DS (then aged 11) all the way to Florida - all of his friends had been , and yes we asked ourselves are we just sheepishly following everyone else ? But when we thought about it, all our friends had raved about it ,everyone we spoke to raved about it we did a lot of research and decided to go for it! Disney is a very commecially orientated organisation - but you get what you pay for and much more.

I recommend that your DH looks around him at the smiling faces and most of all the smiles on the faces of his family - thats worth more than money.

For now, he needs to hear the same line you're NOT supposed to use with the kids:

We're spending a lot of money on this trip, and I don't want your poor attitude to ruin it for everyone. Whether or not you plan to enjoy yourself, you need to keep an open mind and act as though you're enjoying yourself, or you're going to kill this vacation for the kids. Next year, we can do something you'll enjoy. But this year it's all about the kids. So put a smile on your face and suck this one up.

Then, when you get there and he puts on "I'm having a good time" face, he may actually start to enjoy himself. Do what you can to make it more enjoyable for him-- plan some dinners he's sure to enjoy, or give him time to explore some of the rides the kids can't do.

But he's not allowed to rain on the kids' parade.

me and my hubby actually had a big discussion about this last night!

Here's my advice- try to have a really calm conversation sometime when u can actaully talk for a good few uninterrupted minutes and just be like
"I understand that not everyone loves the idea of disney world- but what specifically are you hesitant about"
Try to get to teh bottom of- in a really nice way- why he thinks he won't have fun.
Then try to discuss those specific things and explain how it doesn't have to be like that.

I've learned that me and my hubby have different ideas of vacation. He thinks that the trip will be stressful adn he'll come home feeling like he needs another vacation.

I've basically told him that since we're going where I (adn the kids) want to go, we will make everything while we're there as ideal for him as possible.

We're only going to parks every other day- and i'm letting him pick most of the restaurants and I told him that if he wants to relax and not run around w/ the kids- that I'll do the running around and let him have some alone time.

We seem to be on the same page now. But I also did use the line "Only u can decide if you're gonna be happy. If u go there expecting to have a bad tiem, you'll have a bad time. So just try to look on the brightside of everythign. "

He may not ever be a disney convert- but hopefully u guys can have some enjoyable family vacations together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter