HELP! Need dish to pass that can sit out--for 50 people

Krischaser

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Hi I am being asked to bring a dish to a huge family reunion. I want to bring something that can be left out and not spoil. I don't want to bring fruit though. Thanks--party is tomorrow.:lmao: :scared1: :dance3:

What about a pasta salad. Tri colored rotini with maybe some grape tomatoes, black olives, cucumbers etc. with bottled italian dressing. No mayo so it wont spoil. I took something like that once to dh work picnic. It lasted a long time but was kept in the shade.

How about a Taco Salad? That's what I always take to our family reunions and it goes over quite well. The best part is I make it the day ahead and put the ingredients into 2 seperate ziplock bags ( 2 gallon size). The lettuce and corn chips in one and the meat and other ingredients in the second bag. Then I combine them just before serving.

If you do decide to take potato salad, etc it helps to take a larger bowl and fill it with ice, then set the bowl with the potato salad down in it. It keeps it cool much longer.

Have fun!

I guess it depends on what type of dish you need to bring..? and you can definatley use ice to your advantage..

give me some idea of how much work you want to put in it and what type of dish you need and I might be able to come up with something.

Black bean salsa. This serves 3-4 as a meal, so scale up accordingly.

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
half a red onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
a bunch of cilantro, chop the leafy bits and toss the stemmy bits
chili powder, the more the merrier, preferably a good one. Penzeys is great, generic grocery store chili powder is really harsh
some extra cumin if you were afraid the chili powder would be too spicy
lots of granulated garlic
salt to taste
lemon juice (lime would be better)
a bit of oil (optional, but it helps carry some of the chili flavors better)

Mix everything together. Taste & adjust seasonings. Fridge until you're ready to put it out, but it tastes fine warm.

24-hour salad

2 heads lettuce
1 head cauliflour
1 chopped onion
1 lb crumbled cooked bacon
parmesan cheese (1/4 - 1/2 cup?, I just sprinkle on top without measuring)
1 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup sugar

chop lettuce and spread in single layer in bottom of a large (9x13?) foil pan. Spread chopped onion in layer over lettuce. Spread chopped cauliflour in layer over onion/lettuce. Spread crumbled bacon in layer over top of the cauliflour. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over bacon layer. Mix mayonaise and sugar in a bowl. Spread in single layer (like frosting a cake) over top. Cover w/foil or saran wrap and refridgerate for 24 hours (more or less). Toss all the layers together just before serving.

I usually dump all the ingredients in a huge roasting pan or pot for tossing and then return to the foil pan. Two double recipes should be more than enough for 50. I make half a recipe for a small crowd.

What about cucumber salad, here are the measurements for a small batch:

3 cucumbers sliced thin (soaked in salt water for few hours and rinsed)
3 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 whole peeled garlic cloves (for flavor discard before serving)

We are going to a family gathering tomorrow and I'm taking cheesy potatoes, fruit salad, and cupcakes. I am taking some sterno and a stand for the big foil pan I'm cooking the potatoes in so they can sit out and stay hot.

I take a big bowl and set a smaller bowl in it then fill only the big bowl with water and place in the freezer. Make whatever kind of cold food you like and just before serving, add it to the smaller bowl. It will stay cold for hours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter