Help-need advice on buying Nintendo DS!

PrincessMama605

DIS Veteran
My dd (now 7) suprised me the other day by asking me if she could get a Nintendo ds. She has been happily playing with her Leapster for years, so she's probably overdue for an upgrade. I am completely clueless about them though. I see Target and Walmart both have sales, but I have no idea which one to get! I would really appreciate any advice or reviews on the different versions, and any games your kids love as well. TIA!

I would go with the XL one larger screen. I don't know if the the 3d one is really worth the extra money & the games cost more. DD loves hers- when she was your DD age she loved the Littlest Petshop game, the Dog ones & My Kingdom, she still uses it alot now she does more Brain age stuff & sudoko type. It was never a bad purchase for her. and mom likes it too.

Kae

we have about 15 of the various DS models in our house (my wife is a "collector" :rotfl2:)I wouldn't suggest the 3-d one for a 7 year old specifically due to the warning that children under 9 should not use the 3-d -- would be a waste.

the DS XL has a bigger screen and is a little easier for kids so i would suggest that one as well.

We went with the 3DS model for our younger son. You can override the 3D mode for younger players. He shares games with his older brother. We were able to get a good buy on the 3DS at Target with a sale combined with 5% off Target debit RedCard.

All three of my kids have the ds lite and my boys got the 3ds for Christmas this past year. (They had gameboys before that) I would go for the XL with the bigger screen. The boys said that the graphics aren't as good on the 3ds when you play normal games. There aren't as many games for the 3ds and also, having an 8 year old daughter myself, I notice there aren't an awful lot of games geared to little girls at all. She does like her brothers' pokemon games though.

Essentially, my boys prefer their ds lite (smaller screen than XL) over their new 3ds. I'm not sure but I think the XL may have a camera and you can manipulate the pics and make it do fun things. My daughter loves this feature way more than the games themselves when she plays my partner's ds. She has a blast with the pictures and "messing" with them.

Good luck on your search.

My son got the ds lite a few years ago and this past Christmas we got him the 3DS and he loves it. You can still play all the older games on the 3DS.

Personally I would bypass the Nintendo Ds and get her an iPod touch. We just bought our 7 & 9 yr old one for Christmas and they never play their Ds's anymore!

Pro's of the iPod - the games are way cheaper! There are so many awesome games and app's for under $5.00 each or even free. You have movies, music, games etc.. all in one place.

We have lots of games on it for my 4yr old as well.

My DH and I have been talking about this for a week. Already planning the Christmas budget and what we want to get the kids. He wants to upgrade my stepson to a 3DS and wants to get my DD5 one. She'll be 6 next month. I've looked at the games and notice that the 3DS doesn't have as many games for girls that age and I'm leaning more towards the DSi XL. My niece11 has it and loves it. Her BFF has the 3DS one and she complained of headaches and when my sister asked my niece about an upgrade she said she didn't want it.

I recommend the 3ds. You can turn the 3d off, and once you do that the screen looks identical to a DSi. The XL does have a larger screen however the picture isn't as sharp or clear as it is on the DS or 3ds because of the resolution. The 3ds uses both 3ds and DS/DSi games, which means you never have to buy a 3ds game at all if you don't want to, but you do have that option and since more and more new games will only be released for the 3ds I think that's a good thing. It has a camera just like the DSi does and can do the same things, plus it has 3d if you choose to use it.

The only advantage of a DS over a 3DS is that the DS can play Gameboy Advance games (in single player mode, not multiplayer) and there is a huge library of those available in used game stores everywhere. The DSi does not have a GBA slot, so it doesn't have that advantage.

I know one previous poster suggested going with an iPod Touch instead. I would not recommend that, unless the child only wants something to play games on and doesn't really care what kind of games they play. The iPod touch does have lots of cute games that appeal to kids, plus it can play music and video. It's a great product, but it is not a substitute for a Nintendo DS, DSi or 3DS. They are completely different, and the type of games they play are very different. The iPod can play great casual games, but many of the Nintendo games are much more involved and substantial than anything available in the app store. If someone wants a DS because of the specific games available or because they want to play multiplayer games with friends who have them, the iPod would not be a good choice at all.

The DSi is great when she has friends with another DSi they can play the same game but on 2 game units. Just remember to set the security levels so others can't just log into it.
My dd like all the pet shop games

My duo received the the DS lites as a gift when they were 7. They are now 10 and asked for the DSi's this past Christmas...which they got. In February we had some friends visit who had iPod Touch's and they far out shined the DS' in my children's eyes. They saved their money and purchased used 2nd generation iPods off eBay last month ($90 each). I don't believe either of them have touched their DSi's since unless their iPod isn't charged. The previous poster is absolutely correct that DS' and iPods are totally different animals and in no way comparing apples to apples but definitely something to think about and weigh the options. If I had known the iPods would be such big hits I would have saved the DSi money and put it towards current generation new iPods for them instead.

Just something to think about!

DS lite = advantage can play Game Boy games which can be found very inexpensive (the games only play one one screen though)

DSi = advantage camera/disadvantage no Game Boy slot

3DS = not something I wanted to get into even though I know the 3D feature can be turned off.

My DD7 recieved a 3ds for Chirtmas. It was an upgrade for her DS Lite. She LOVES her 3DS and plays it a LOT. She almost never uses the 3-d feature (which isn't why I bought if for her anyway.) I love that she can add some apps on it. She has a netflix app that she can use to watch stuff on. It also has an internet app as well. (These all have parental controls if you choose.) It also has a camera like the DSi. She mostly plays her games though. She loves alomst any Mario game and cats and dogs games. HTH!

Hello,

We went through the same thing a year ago with my DS. We also went with the XL because of the large screen. We limit the use, but if you check out the little one, the screen is just too small.

Some great games are the Dinosaur, Phineas and Ferb, Team Umizimi.

I'm not sure who has a good price right now, sometimes you can catch Toy R US and Target giving away gift cards with purchase.

Good Luck!

Personally I would bypass the Nintendo Ds and get her an iPod touch. We just bought our 7 & 9 yr old one for Christmas and they never play their Ds's anymore!

Pro's of the iPod - the games are way cheaper! There are so many awesome games and app's for under $5.00 each or even free. You have movies, music, games etc.. all in one place.

We have lots of games on it for my 4yr old as well.

I agree. We just got the iPod touch and the kids have not touched the dsi since. In addition the ds games are all $15 and up. Most of the games my kids have are free or .99 cents. Toys r us also has a good breakage/water damage plan. Getting ready to sell our dsi on ebay or craigslist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter