Help!!! need advice for upcoming trip and AAA discounts

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by andychris14, Jun 30, 2013.

1. andychris14

andychris14 DIS Veteran

Hi, this will be our first time staying at universal on property. We have gone to universal once before but many years ago. Our children are 16 and 18. We need recommendations on where to eat lunches and dinners and which restaurants/counter service restaurants accept aaa. We will be renting a car also and do not mind leaving property for a few evening to go for dinner. We were thinking about going to downtown Disney for an evening as well. How long would that car ride take us?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rschaen

rschaen Earning My Ears

About a 15 minute, easy drive to DTD from UO area. Right up I-4. We didn't find anything wonderful as far as counter service, but the Mexican place@US was ok and dd9 liked 3 Broomsticks. We also liked Gump's and Bob Marley's. The Kitchen and Mythos were also just ok for us but prices@Kitchen were insane! If you have a car you will find zillions of choices on International Dr. as well.

4. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

5. Texaschick1104

Texaschick1104 Earning My Ears

I'm not too much older an your children and some volcano nachos at Margaritaville along with the 9pm live music is always super fun! We make sure to go a few times each visit for the nighttime atmosphere (food plays a major part too!)

6. andychris14

andychris14 DIS Veteran

thank you for your help-

yes margaritaville is going to be a must

what is the name of the Mexican place in us- my kids do like moes also so maybe we will have to go there as well

7. rschaen

rschaen Earning My Ears

I am drawing a blank, but it is to the right of lagoon as you are going towards Springfield/ET area. It's kinda like Chipotle (which i don't really like) but my rice and bean bowl with guacamole was delicious.

8. andychris14

andychris14 DIS Veteran

thank you-
    I will look for it
    thanks again

9. coastgirl

coastgirl DIS Veteran

No help on the restaurants, your title asked about AAA discount? There was a thread a while ago that indicated that the AAA discount was only going to be available on totals of $50 or more. I'm not sure if that has "held", it was a bit confusing to track down. In our experience last time the AAA discount was widely available in park (just not at the cash kiosks), but this time it may be different. So, worth it to all huddle together at the check out to try to get your total to qualify, rather than buying a bunch of small purchases.

10. TheAviator

TheAviator <font color=blue>I don't always live dangerously,

There are a ton of great restaurants onsite, including the hotel restaurants. My favorites are Mythos (In IOA) this is a do not miss. Tchoup Choup in Royal Pacific, Jakes American (for good casual dining also in RP). Lombards inside the main Universal park (if you are into seafood). Sorry do not know the extent of the triple A thing

11. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

Emerils is having a July special.
    the 3 course dinner for $30.

12. coastgirl

coastgirl DIS Veteran

Ooh, for dinner too? We were planning on the lunch prix fixe special, but it's not much more for dinner. Thanks for the tip, macraven!

13. Tink-n-MrIncredible

Tink-n-MrIncredible DIS Veteran

Where and what is Margaritaville?

14. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

www.citywalk.com

click on the orlando site

15. Tink-n-MrIncredible

Tink-n-MrIncredible DIS Veteran

Thank you for the link.

16. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead

17. Port Mom

Port Mom Mouseketeer

My son is 19, and a few of our favorite places for dinner are: Emeril's in Citywalk, Emerils Tchop Chop, Hard Rock Café, and Mythos.....Lombards Landing is not bad if you like blackened salmon. For lunch, we like Three Broomsticks and Mels Diner. Of course there are fun places in CityWalk, too......Marguerita Ville, etc.....The Simpsons food area wasn't open when we were there, so I can't comment.

18. Metro West

Metro West <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue> Moderator

The only restaurant I can think of inside the Studios is Cafe La Bamba...but its not really a Mexican place...its more Southwestern style.