HELP! Need a flying packing list

SCCaguioa

Mouseketeer
We're flying down March 21 through April 2 for a 12-night vacation at BCV.

We're taking 2 carry-on luggage and 0 checked luggage per person (2 adults / 2 teens) with SWA.

Any recommendations? Does anyone have a 'flying packing list'?

It would basically be by personal needs but there are some guidelines and restrictions that need to be followed on the particular airlines you will be flying. Check their site for these requirements.

Also you can follow this link for personal packing suggestions:
http://www.freetraveltips.com/Packing/
;)

Originally posted by SCCaguioa
We're flying down March 21 through April 2 for a 12-night vacation at BCV.

We're taking 2 carry-on luggage and 0 checked luggage per person (2 adults / 2 teens) with SWA.

Any recommendations? Does anyone have a 'flying packing list'?

You cannot carry on two pieces of luggage. Only one piece, 10x16x24 inches, and one personal item. http://www.southwestair.com/travel_center/baggage.html

1. You must be able to lift your "carry on" over your head and into the overhead. If you can't check it.
2. One of your "carry ons" should actually be a personal item and able to fit under the seat.
3. If you have 2 per person, NOTHING else, no purses, shopping bags etc. TSA is getting fairly strict and at my airport will send you back to check something.
4. If the plane is full and you are not an "A", be prepared to gate check.
5. The 22" rollaboards will fit in the overhead if you have not expanded the front and stuffed every pocket to overflowing. It it is expanded and/or the pockets are stuffed it won't fit and you will have to check it.
6. If you connect someplace, be prepared. You might not get the "A" or even a "B" and your luggage will need to be gate checked.
7. If your overhead space is full and you have to go father back to put the luggage in the overhead it is not acceptable to ask someone else to pass your luggage to you. It is also not acceptable to attempt to trample other passengers to get back to your luggage.

Be polite. Your personal item should go under your feet. It is not nice for people to put two items in the overhead leaving no space for later boarders.

I have to be honest, 99.9% of the people cannot make it for 12 days even with the washer/dryer with the carry on. Why are you even attempting this? SW has one of the best baggage records in the industry.

Originally posted by CarolA
1. You must be able to lift your "carry on" over your head and into the overhead. If you can't check it.
2. One of your "carry ons" should actually be a personal item and able to fit under the seat.
3. If you have 2 per person, NOTHING else, no purses, shopping bags etc. TSA is getting fairly strict and at my airport will send you back to check something.
4. If the plane is full and you are not an "A", be prepared to gate check.
5. The 22" rollaboards will fit in the overhead if you have not expanded the front and stuffed every pocket to overflowing. It it is expanded and/or the pockets are stuffed it won't fit and you will have to check it.
6. If you connect someplace, be prepared. You might not get the "A" or even a "B" and your luggage will need to be gate checked.
7. If your overhead space is full and you have to go father back to put the luggage in the overhead it is not acceptable to ask someone else to pass your luggage to you. It is also not acceptable to attempt to trample other passengers to get back to your luggage.

Be polite. Your personal item should go under your feet. It is not nice for people to put two items in the overhead leaving no space for later boarders.

I have to be honest, 99.9% of the people cannot make it for 12 days even with the washer/dryer with the carry on. Why are you even attempting this? SW has one of the best baggage records in the industry.

Carol,
SWA is quite expicit with the one carry on and one smaller personal item. They will not let you on with two pieces of luggage, one will, for sure, get gate checked.
You are correct, they do have one of the best baggage records in the industry and I simply cannot imagine anyone wanting to lug luggage through the airports.

SWA is very strict about carry ons and I for one am glad that they are!! I see no reason for anyone to have to carry half of their worldly possessions ON the plane when they can go into a baggage compartment a few feet under their bodies!!!!! I check my rolling carry on....since a lot of the time I travel sans DH I refuse to ask anyone to lift it into the overhead for me. IT's only a couple of hours, and I can do without my PJs and toothbrush. I have never had anything lost or misplaced by SWA in all the years and many, many flights I have been on with them

pin

I am not sure what you mean by a packing list for flying. There is no real difference except for the things you can't take.

There used to be a web site www.packlite.org Not sure if it still works. You could also try www.ricksteves.com He can pack for a three week trip to Europe in one small suitcase. (Actually so can I, but it seems to take more stuff to go to Disney LOL!)

Hi Steve,

LOL, you are a better parent than I if you can get your teens to pack l2 days clothes in one duffel bag. Must be boys!

Good luck,

herc.

Keep in mind that the duffel has to meet the requirements for carry on. It must fit in the sizer bins, and they are really enforcing that these days. The average person could probably fit two days of clothes and a small toiletry kit into there. Are you really going to do laundry every couple days?

I'd rather check my bag and not have to deal with that!

Anne

For each ticketed customer, US Airways will transport free of charge a maximum of three bags:
Up to two (2) bags may be checked free of charge
One (1) bag may be transported as carry-on

Note: The Transportation Security Administration advises -- For your security, The TSA is screening all checked baggage. Unlocked bags can be examined quickly. Locked bags will be opened if necessary, then resealed. That process could result in delay or damage. You can find further information on the TSA website: www.TSATravelTips.us.

Each piece of baggage to be checked without charge cannot exceed a weight of 50 pounds and dimensions of 62 inches, in overall length, width and height.

An extra charge applies for additional, overweight, and/or oversized pieces. In no event will US Airways accept baggage that weighs more than 100 pounds and/or baggage that measures in single dimensions more than 72 inches or combined dimensions exceeding 115 inches. Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles, scuba equipment, etc. are not included in the customer's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge.

Note: If the itinerary includes a code-share flight operated by United, check with the originating carrier regarding excess baggage policies and fees. Fee charges will be applied for each one-way journey from your origination to the final destination.

Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece per customer, plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, small backpack, diaper bag or camera case. The personal item cannot exceed total overall dimensions of 36 inches, and the other item of baggage cannot exceed the following maximum dimensions:

Valet Closet--4x23 1/2x45
Overhead Stowage--10x16x24
Underseat Stowage--8x16x21
Both items cannot exceed a total combined weight of 40 pounds. Carry-on baggage allowance may be restricted due to lack of space.

:wave2: :bounce:

Going by everyones response, I would be better off checking luggage than trying to pack everything in a carry-on (esp. for a 12 day vacation)

If that is the case, we'll still carry on one change of clothes, our valuables, necessary paperwork; and check our remaining stuff.

I just do not want to deal with lost luggage. You hear the horror stories regularly...but that may only apply if you're switching planes...which we are not...direct/non-stop flight from IND to MCO

Comments?

I travel all the time. So far my luggage has never been lost. On a very few occasions the luggage has been late!

One suggestion I have seen it to mix things up. Have some of your stuff in someone else's suitcase etc.

That said SW does have one of the best repuations in the business for luggage and your risk is much lower since you are on a non-stop.

I've flown over a million miles in the past 15 years or so.

My luggage was totally lost once...I never got it back. :( Between what the carrier (Untied) and my homeowners paid, I was able to go out and by some nice new clothes and replace the ones I lost. :p

My luggage was ruined once by an inconsiderate boor who packed soda in their suitcase. It opened during transit and dripped into mine which must have been below it. :mad:

My luggage has been delayed a few times, but has always caught up with me within 24 hours or so.

With the amount of lfying I've done, I'd say those are pretty good odds in my favor. :)

I carry a clean shirt and underwear, toiletries I can't do without, my makeup (too expensive to try to replace), my camera, laptop, important papers/documents if I'm traveling for business, prescription medications and a few packets of Advil, a pile of magazines that I read and then leave for the next person to enjoy, and that's it. Everything else gets checked.

Anne

I spent six weeks in Europe out of a carry on.

I don't know that I'd do it for twelve days, but I can pack in a carry on for a week pretty easy.....

Its more about what you don't take than what you do take.

Wear jeans on the plane. Do not pack other pants. Jeans are your friend and can be worn for four days straight (or longer) if need be. Pack a few pairs of shorts, but plan on wearing them more than once. You might want to carry some stain wipes or plan a laundry day. (Is your BCV room a one or two bedroom - the laundry is right there in those units and will give you a lot of flexibility).

Personal items to a minimum. The hotel will give you shampoo, don't bring your own - or if you must, put it in a small travel bottle. (DVC is a little different, they really don't have enough shampoo to last you four days - so you are going to want to pack some, or stop for some, or buy some at the gift store) Don't bring makeup - or keep it to a minimum. And leave the blowdryer at home.

(I was backpacking through Europe and two young women entered our train compartment. One says to the other...."I shouldn't have brought the iron if I wasn't going to use it." It was probably a travel iron, but ANYTHING that adds weight and takes up space needs to be something you are going to need.)

Pack lightweight t shirts. There are some great microfabrics out currently that pack small and light weight, the don't wrinkle and they are "dressy" for t-shirts. Pack one per day. Wear a sweatshirt or a jacket on the plane.

If you need to dress up, you may want to check luggage. But if you are traveling through Europe in a backpack and need "not shorts" to visit churches - throw a lightweight skirt in (and a scarf to cover your head).

No extra shoes. Wear your tennis on the plane and those are the only shoes you get.

Underwear and socks for every day - unless you are doing laundry. Socks are going to take up the most room.

We do this all the time - or used to pre-children - and I still won't check luggage if I don't have my kids with me. I've been known to pack for a week long business trip in a carryon. Its nice not to have to wait for your luggage (although at MCO whenever we check our luggage it gets to the carrossel before we do, so it isn't a time saver flying into Orlando). And much harder to lose it.

We're in a 2-bedroom so we'll have access to W/D. As other people have mentioned, it's really a matter of personal preference...How much do *YOU* want to take.

With there being said, we are going to attempt to pack with only carry-on first, then if that doesn't work we'll do checked.

Thanks everyone for your response (30 days and counting :hyper: )

With easy access to a washer and dryer - it will be a piece of cake, provided you don't want to take more than fits in a carry on. Have fun.

OMG- even w/ a washer and dryer-- I take my 3 suitcases and my carryon :eek: !!! I've been also known to "borrow" 1 of my son's allowed checked bags-- for 8 days. I pack 2 outfits per day then all the extra's including about 5 pairs of shoes. I could never live out of one carry-on!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter