• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help my stroller arguement!

BeckFam08

Mouseketeer
We will be visiting April 30-May 6 with our 2 boys ages 2 and 9. They've both been to WDW and DL and we tend to have a commando travel style. While we are there we will have other family members joining for portions of the time.

There are currently 2 options on the table:
#1) rent a city mini. This also means no stroller in the airport. On our way out I am not worried about MSP because the terminal we use is quite small. I am more concerned about MCO. Does anyone know it the luggage cart have child seats? We have encountered some that do not.
#2) purchase a Chicco Liteway Plus (considering another baby). Gives us the opportunity to have a stroller at all times. Adds the concerns of a stroller being damaged during travel but also folds smaller for the busses.

Thoughts? Opinions? Additional pros and cons?

I would rent a city mini and wear the younger child through the airport in something like an Ergo (Kinderpacks are also great).

We have gone to Disney twice (DD is just 19 months now), and we've always gone this route. It is so much easier than dealing with a stroller in the airport

I would rent a city mini and wear the younger child through the airport in something like an Ergo (Kinderpacks are also great). We have gone to Disney twice (DD is just 19 months now), and we've always gone this route. It is so much easier than dealing with a stroller in the airport

I have friends that would agree with this 100%. We do not own a carrier though so unfortunately this would not work for us.

I like the baby wearing idea, too. But I also have a 2 year old, and wearing him is no longer an option. He hates being worn!

We just bought a new stroller ourselves. I looked at the one you mentioned, but I went with an Uppababy G-Lite. I love it because it is tall, and it stands on its own when folded! It also is about 6 pounds later than the Chicco. I have no worries about this one on the bus. As far as damage, I've never had issues, and you can always buy a travel bag.

I'd buy a stroller. We liked having it at the airport for sure. Just check it at the gate and it's ready for you when you get off. We always take a lightweight umbrella stroller (britax b-nimble it fully reclines which is a bonus).

We just went thru this same thing except my son is 11 months when we travel next week. My MIL uses the Chicco Liteway plus when she has him and we were going to take that but was afraid of getting it dirty or stolen. We just bought a Summer Infant 3d lite stroller strictly for vacation. We have a Chicco stroller and a jogger stroller at home and wanted a convenient stroller for the airport and parks. It was 80 bucks at Target and we got 5% it hour Red Card. Plus it has a carrying strap which will be a big plus.

I have friends that would agree with this 100%. We do not own a carrier though so unfortunately this would not work for us.

If you are talking about having another baby, I would still go this route before your second option.

Also, do you have any baby wearing groups near you? We have some near us, and by becoming a member of the group I was able to borrow carriers for a month or so to try them out. They came with us on trips to the ILs, etc. If my only need for them was the airport, I would have had no issue using a borrowed one for that.

If you are talking about having another baby, I would still go this route before your second option. Also, do you have any baby wearing groups near you? We have some near us, and by becoming a member of the group I was able to borrow carriers for a month or so to try them out. They came with us on trips to the ILs, etc. If my only need for them was the airport, I would have had no issue using a borrowed one for that.

I am not sure to be honest but that definitely something I should check into. I had a Moby when he was little but only used it a few occasions and when he was quite young.

Babywearers International is the group that had a chapter near us. I think they have a chapter locator on their website, if you want to check out that possibility :)

I am not sure to be honest but that definitely something I should check into. I had a Moby when he was little but only used it a few occasions and when he was quite young.

I run a BW group and we really don't mind people borrowing things. Our group does limit the amount of time though (but a week is certainly within the limits). Another option is a website that actually rents carriers. I know PaxBaby and EcoBaby rent carriers. However - as much as I love BW, if your 2 year old hasn't been worn, he may not love it (or he may adore it - it's hard to know ahead of time!). I actually love the Connecta for travel - it's a buckle carrier, so it's easy to figure out, but it's very unpadded, so it folds up tiny. If you have friends who BW, you could probably borrow a carrier from one of them (I'd suggest trying to find a toddler carrier if possible, but it isn't a necessity).

I can't imagine flying without our stroller. Not only does it carry my child, but it carries everything else, too! I've always been able to bring it right up to the gate without issue, and never had any problems with the airline damaging it or anything. That's the direction I would go.

Do you not already own a stroller you could bring?

We have a huge sit and stand, a jogging stroller that does not have much of a compact fold and an umbrella stroller that doesn't recline much (would sell if we got the Chicco) and our 2 year old would nap on the fly in the stroller.

Are you flying out of the Humphrey terminal (or whatever it's called now)? Are you using magical express? Do you have a direct flight? If the answer is yes to all then I would seriously think about renting the city mini. If the answer is no to any of them, then I would bring my own stroller since dealing with large airports, layovers, and/or luggage, and a roaming little one might be a bit stressful.

Could you just take your little folding umbrella stroller for the airports only? And then fold it up and leave it in your room and rent the city mini for the parks? You were already thinking a about renting one and you already own the umbrella stroller. So it's not going to be any more expensive and it saves you the stress of the airport and chasing a toddler! And it's small enough that you could slide it under the sink area in your hotel and it won't be a bother.

We are leaving tomorrow with our 8, 6, and 2yos. I am not bringing a stroller and renting a city mini. I have a city mini double which I love and was great to have during our last trip in November, but we are not bringing the baby this time so it is not necessary. My other stroller is a Maclaren single. It is fine for everyday use at home, but for the long days at WDW I love the city mini's flat recline and large canopy. I also love that you can push it with one hand. My ds loves to walk so he is fine walking through the airport.

Are you flying out of the Humphrey terminal (or whatever it's called now)? Are you using magical express? Do you have a direct flight? If the answer is yes to all then I would seriously think about renting the city mini. If the answer is no to any of them, then I would bring my own stroller since dealing with large airports, layovers, and/or luggage, and a roaming little one might be a bit stressful.

The answer is yes to all and I do plan to travel relatively light for carry ons. He loves to walk and is getting a rolling Skip Hop backpack for Easter that I am sure he would love to pull. I've just never navigated the Orlando airport with a walking toddler.

Could you just take your little folding umbrella stroller for the airports only? And then fold it up and leave it in your room and rent the city mini for the parks? You were already thinking a about renting one and you already own the umbrella stroller. So it's not going to be any more expensive and it saves you the stress of the airport and chasing a toddler! And it's small enough that you could slide it under the sink area in your hotel and it won't be a bother.

I did this when I went in September. It worked well for us but my husband thinks it's silly to have both at the hotel. The primary reason I was considering the new is because when we have the next baby I will want this stroller for travel system use so I thought of just getting it now rather than spending the money on renting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter