• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! My son is CRAVING fruit!

Robinrs

DIS Veteran
I guess it could be worse! :p He could've craved cookies or cake!

Michael has never been much of a sweets person, but he LOVES certain fruits.

Tomorrow will be the end of our second week and I DID promise we could add a few more carbs after the first two weeks. He woke up with these ideas.

Though he likes strawberries, he doesn't love them and they're about the best in terms of carbs that he can eat. He really wants grapes and watermelon. Grapes are pretty high in carbs but watermelon seems okay. Not a snowballs chance in heck he'll eat a raspberry, blueberry or really, any kind of berry.

Any suggestions? Remember, he's 11.

I'd let him eat fruit if I were you. I've eaten apples, oranges, peaches, strawberries, grapes, cantaloupe and watermelon. They've never caused any problems. Choose the ones that he likes that are lowest in carbs. You can make some homemade whipped cream to dip them in. Mix heavy whipping cream with a hand or electric mixer, blender, food processor or whatever you have. You can add Splenda or whatever sweetener you use. You can even add some DaVinci syrup in there for more flavor.

I just think kids bodies are different and they can afford a few more carbs. I think fruit is good for us and as long as he doesn't go overboard it shouldn't be a problem. I'd rather see Chelsea eating fruit rather than a candy bay any day. :)

Another piece of advice from the South Beach perspective. One way to minimize the sugar in fruit is to make sure he consumes the fiber as well. That means, don't peel the apple or pear. Have hime eat the orange not the orange juice, etc. You can also give hime something high in fiber to go along with a piece of fruit that doesn't have alot of fiber in it. I'm sure others who who have been on Atkins/South Beach longer than I have would have better suggestions. I think having your teenager progress to adding some fruit back in is a good idea, especially if it will help him stick with the new woe. (you probably already know to avoid the "tropical" fruits...banana, mango, etc...They have the highest GI)

Oh, I thought of one more thing. Would he eat a chocolate covered strawberry? You could melt a small amount of a carbolite bar or regular dark chocolate (on SB they recommend dark chocolate) and dip a couple strawberries in it. They will harden in the fridge just like regular chocolate covered berries. I did this last year when I was on Atkins and was hosting a baby shower. I knew I wouldn't make it if I didn't have an allowable treat for myself.

Thanks, everyone.

bubie: That was the first place I checked when he mentioned fruit! The lowest are the ones I considered. Thanks!

Lisa, I agree. Any fruit is better than craving a chocolate chip cookie! I bought him a quarter of watermelon just now. I'm going to ease fruits back into his diet because he will try to eat too much at once.

twinsmom: Great ideas! He even asked me this morning would a grape be better if it were peeled and I gave him the fiber speech. And tropicals have been put off for two years now when we took him off sugar!

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone!

Robinrs

HI Robin! I have a request. Could you please allow my son to hang around with yours? I need Michael's good eating habits to rub off on Chris! I think I'd fall over dead if he asked me for fruit!:faint: I'm glad you found something he'll enjoy--the watermelon sound yummy! How's Michael doing? Any other cravings, or any difficult times? I wish you both the best!:sunny:

LOL Kim!:p

Robin, I am so happy that you and Michael are doing so well on Atkins! It is great that Michael is so happy doing this! I am so proud of both of you!!

By the way, Savannah still asks about him and when they can walk through Disney holding hands again!! ;) (I can't believe the memory on this kid!:eek: )

I fake myself out with Fruit 2 O popsicles.
And suger free jello.
And smoothies made with Fruit2O ice cubes and suger free jello...

:-)

Did someone say chocolate chip cookie? ummmmmmmmmmm

Ju

Robin, my DD has been eating low carb for over a year now. She has a half a small (lunch box sized) apple every so often and does just fine with it. Granny smiths are lower in natural sugars and are quite good with a little natural style peanut butter to dip it into. :)

Sounds like you both are doing well.

Let him have some fruit. I would stay away from grapes, not only because they are higher in carbs but because one serving of grapes just isn't that many and I always want MORE. Ditto with the watermelon but that's such a healthy fruit. This is a good chance for him to learn his portion control with fruit. Learning what constitutes a serving is an important thing.

What I used to think was a serving was more like 4 servings. I have to just avoid watermelon right now, it triggers my mouth hunger terribly. Lucky for me it is out of season.

Canteloupe is a good carb bargain. Does he like canteloupe? Did you know that canteloupe has something like 3 times the potassium than a banana? Lots fewer carbs, too :)

On weeks where I'm really active 4+ days where I've exercised for one hour or more- then I'll up the fruit- even grapes and watermelon- but grapes need to be portioned out- I use a 1/2 cup as a guide, if I haven't really been moving it then I stick to 1/2 an apple or some fruit higher in fiber. Is he taking karate or any other type of exercise? Even throwing the ball outside and running after it for an hour is good...this will help his body use the fruit as fuel not as a treat.

HTH!
Tara

Talk about portion control, kath, Michael only allowed me to BUY 8 GRAPES!!

He ate them and got over it.

Watermelon is out of season thus expensive! He took 2 days to get through a wedge.

So far he's taken a liking to strawberries because it's the lowest in carbs.

I'll ask him about cantalope. I've always hated it so I've never served it.

Tara: He does the regular PE at school then does the treadmill at the gym twice a week. They run 5 laps a day in addition to sports. He never liked it until now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter