Help! My DD has Supersonic Ears

cherokeemamma

DIS Veteran
Here is the problem...DD13 seems to have supersonic ears. She hears every little sound a person makes....whether it's their breathing too loud or chewing too loud or whatever.... She is driving us crazy!
We are going on a Disney cruise in about a month and I am concerned that she will not sleep because of our breathing or sometimes snoring... Once at WDW she kept me up all night because she couldn't sleep hearing her dad breathe. He was not snoring or anything...just breathing. She made the trip miserable. We purchased some ear plugs but they didn't stay in her ears. (Perhaps there are better ones avail) So those seemed useless, I have had her go to sleep with head phones on but she still claims she can hear our breathing. :confused3 I have thought about a whitenoise machine but honestly, I cannot afford to send very much $$ on this. I am out of ideas. I told her she may have to sleep out on the deck!:rotfl2: JK

I dread the thought of our trip being ruined because of this issue. I need suggestions PLEASE!

Thanks everyone!

A good set of noise cancelling headphones. You don't have to listen to music with them. Earplugs do the trick for me and I've never had them fall out. Perhaps the ones you had were too small, try bigger ones.

DH and sleep with a fan running every night. it's just a $10 box fan, but it makes us or hotel rooms, we use a small travel fan I found at target. good luck!!

The earplugs may have either been wrong or placed wrong. You need the foamy ones, they're often orange. Roll them between the fingers and THEN insert in the ears, so they unroll and reflate inside the ear canal, thus forming to the ear.

Also, honestly, if she can't sleep for the sound of someone breathing, perhaps she just needs to be told to put a pillow over her head or to relax and deal. Even if she can't sleep, keeping other people up all night isn't acceptable. I mean, what's she going to do once she gets to college? Life is not this accomodating.

I have "bat ears" as my husband likes to call them. When we travel, I take a small box fan with me. I've also used a white noise app on my phone to drown out noise.

The foamy ear plugs do not work for me. I think my ear is shaped funny or something, because I've tried all different sizes and brands, and they either fall out or really hurt my ears.

My husband uses those headphones that you use at the shooting range and they seem to really help him sleep, he's the exact same way.

My oldest DD (18) has asperger's, one of her biggest issues for us to deal with (when traveling) is that she hears every little thing. So, sharing a room it torture for everyone! The rest of the family does need to breath...lol. ;)We have found ear plugs to be the best invention ever. :thumbsup2They really are the ONLY thing that keeps her from hearing everyone else in the room. She even wears them at home, where she has her own room!:)

The earplugs may have either been wrong or placed wrong. You need the foamy ones, they're often orange. Roll them between the fingers and THEN insert in the ears, so they unroll and reflate inside the ear canal, thus forming to the ear.

Also, honestly, if she can't sleep for the sound of someone breathing, perhaps she just needs to be told to put a pillow over her head or to relax and deal. Even if she can't sleep, keeping other people up all night isn't acceptable. I mean, what's she going to do once she gets to college? Life is not this accomodating.

I did buy orange ones...I honestly don't remember rolling them up first. I think I will buy some more and try at home first.

As far as putting the pillow over her head we have tried that. Honestly one night at WDW last year I thought she might not make it through the night. :eek: Around 4:30 am or so I finally made her sleep in the bathtub. Yes, I know, I felt horrible like the worst mom ever but there were no other options, I was desperate. We were all desperate. We thought about making her go sleep by the pool but I thought folks might frown upon that. ;) It seems as if she falls asleep first we are okay but if she doesn't...it is scary!:mad:

Any suggestions on a brand of white noise machine? where to purchase?

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

We sleep with a fan for white noise. A small, inexpensive fan to put near her head should be enough to drown out other people breathing. It's constant noise so it will become background noise, vs. breathing that is not constant at all.

White noise machines are not expensive, but I just found a free app last night for my iphone that did a fantastic job (it's actually a white noise app!) We did a short overnight trip and I forgot our white noise machine and I can't sleep with DH snoring and I was desperate. Worked GREAT!

Good luck!

I carry orange putty like ear plugs. They form to my ears and they work great:) Good luck with whatever you can find that will work.

We got somthing like these from a local hearing company. They are molded into your ear and end up being flat in the outside. Both of my kids have them and my wife. All of them love them and have no issues wearing them for long periods if time. They are really comfortable. http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php . The ones we have do not have a string or anything. They were about 30.00 for a pair, not super cheap but worth every penny for the comfort.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas and suggestions.

I am thinking....
I will get the app for her ipod touch and....
I will buy a small fan and hopefully we can use that near her head and.....
I will buy some more ear plugs.
(Maybe a little overboard but I am serious!:laughing:)

Hopefully, we will all get some sleep and have a pleasant vacation.;)

Thanks again!
TTFN
Darlene

I STRONGLY recommend white noise machines. We invested in one for each of our kids rooms when they were younger. We take both of them when we travel anywhere so that we don't have to listen to people in other hotel rooms when we are trying to sleep. They are awesome.

I agree with the white noise machine. Both my kids sleep with them and techincally so do dh and I since the monitor is on the my nightstand! We have a family beach house with people ranging in age from 8 months to 74 years old with all different schedules and is helps keep my little ones from waking up from the noise. We just bought the one they have at bed bath and beyond - and don't forget the coupon!!

I bought a small white noise machine at Kohl's for about $20. It works on batteries or a/c plug. Worked like a charm.

I just wanted to add:

If you are using the foamy earplugs, you need to pull the top of the ear up and back for insertion. This way they go in correctly and do a better job of sealing the noise out. It's a little bit of a learning curve but well worth the end of lack of sleep.

** also: my favorite white noise app for the iphone is FREE! and called White Noise. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter