Help me with Grand Cayman...Pretty Please

jlindemer

Mouseketeer
The Seven Mile Beach Break and the Rum Point excursions are sold out. I have inquired about a Day Pass at the Westin, but I am leary about booking that--in case it rains, etc.

If you have done Grand Cayman on your own---what have you done? Is there a section of the 7 Mile Beach you can go to easily?

Thanks in advance!

We went on a Carnival cruise this past November that stopped at Cayman. We swam with the stingrays. It was an AMAZING experience! If you have time visit the stingraysailing website. I HIGHLY recommend Chip and his crew!!

There will be booths set up right where you get off the tender in GC. One of those is for Stingray City. We took a tour of the island for $10 each on an a/cd bus. We went to Hell, the rum cake factory, the dolphin place where we were able to stand right at the fence around the water and take pictures while the dolphins swam feet away from us. It took 1 1/2 - 2 hours. We drove past 7 mile beach but no one in our group wanted to stop there. There was parking there where a taxi could surely drop you off in the morning if the weather is nice.

I'm going to echo the others and say absolutely book a Sting Ray City tour on your own - you will love it! We used Captain Marvin's and they were great. The boat we went out on was only about a 1/3rd capacity so we had plenty of room, and the whole day was just a grand adventure for all of us. Even my little ones who were too scared to go in the water had fun because the boat ride in itself was awesome.

my wife and I did the Stingray City excursion on our honeymoon (years ago)..

We are going again in a couple of weeks.

Well worth it.

We went on a Carnival cruise this past November that stopped at Cayman. We swam with the stingrays. It was an AMAZING experience! If you have time visit the stingraysailing website. I HIGHLY recommend Chip and his crew!!

Mandie, we have been to GC both on Princess and DCL and both times we went out with Stingray sailing. I agree Chip and his crew are excellent!!!!

Take a 10 minute cab ride in the opposite direction to 7 mile beach, and stop off at Smiths Cove - a small intimate local's beach.
There is a rest room there, plenty of shade, but not much else.
A 10 minute walk back up the road is The Grand Old House http://www.grandoldhouse.com/index.php with wonderful waterfront fine dining (so don't go toooo scruffy !) with the most scrumy, yummy, lunchtime menu (you can view this on line).

Be sure to ask the cab driver to pick you back up at a set time if you don't go to GOH, as the beach is not on the tourist trail

.....but shhhhhhh... don't tell everyone !!!:cool2:

On 7 Mile Beach is an area called Royal Palms.We just got off the ship took a cab and we loved it.Outdoor restaurant/bar, we had chairs and umbrellas and the water was awesome.Wish I was there now.

Linda

On 7 Mile Beach is an area called Royal Palms.We just got off the ship took a cab and we loved it.Outdoor restaurant/bar, we had chairs and umbrellas and the water was awesome.Wish I was there now.

Linda
We also took a cab to Royal Palms and had a great day there on the beach! My older kids snorkeled with my dh while the little guy played in the sand at the waters edge. He even took a nap in the shade on a blanket. There are clean restrooms/showers there and a small restaurant in case you want something to eat. Very relaxing and enjoyable.
:goodvibes
SDC10673.jpg

SDC10663.jpg

We booked through Native Way and went to Stingray City. LOVED it! The crew was amazing and we had no complaints (4 adults and 5 kids). Would do it again in a heart beat.
Also have done at CC, sorry to say GC was better. Although if you are very skittish maybe CC is a better bet. In GC the stingray's are all over the place. CC is a more "controlled" environment.

I have inquired about a Day Pass at the Westin, but I am leary about booking that--in case it rains, etc.

Just curious.... how do you go about inquiring for the Westin day pass? I tried searching and came up with nothing:confused3

I was interested in this as well. Did you get any info on cost??

You don't really need to arrange anything ahead of time. The beach is all public -- a day pass might help if you really need lounge chairs and umbrellas. It's easy to get to -- there's a local bus that runs with some regularity, but a cab is probably better to meet the ship's schedule. Besides Royal Palms, there's a "public" developed beach near the Governor's House. The Marriott is also a possibility. The beach at the Westin is lovely, but not much for snorkeling. Better snorkeling at Smith's Cove and Cemetery Beach (unless you're really strong swimmers and can go out farther, not sure that works near the Westin, but it does some other places).

You might want to google the usual weather pattern for the time of your trip for a better guess about rain. And if the water's rough, it can be unpleasant to go out to the Stingray Sandbar (which gets pretty crowded when cruise ships are in -- but still can be an awesome experience).

Remember if you get some duty-free rum (Tortuga's Orange rum is delicious) you will need to have room to get it home in your checked baggage (we messed up on that once).

The Cayman dollar is $1.25 U.S. and stuff is generally spendier there.

We also booked Capt Marvins on our own and it was great. Other option is to take a cab to the beach by the govenor's home. Great snorkeling. There are no services there but the beach is great and the snorkeling is great too. Bring some snacks from the ship or town.

We booked through Native Way and went to Stingray City. LOVED it! The crew was amazing and we had no complaints (4 adults and 5 kids). Would do it again in a heart beat.
Also have done at CC, sorry to say GC was better. Although if you are very skittish maybe CC is a better bet. In GC the stingray's are all over the place. CC is a more "controlled" environment.

We did Native Way also http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

We did the rays reef and Rum Point

Photos >>>> http://nathanguinnphotography.zenfolio.com/p204924824

Video Rum Point >>>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30UE_F8hIUM

:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter