• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me understand justifying price please..

Pearljammer,

I know you didn't mean to offend anyone when you posted, but understand that when you ask others to "justify" their plans you tend to put people on the defensive.

Others here have pointed out that personal choices and responsibility for those choices are up to everyone individually. Others have pointed out that some people just have more resources. Both arguments are utterly valid.

In my case it is simply a well-deserved vacation away from it all and, to be honest, I could have justified our 2br suite at twice its price.

We were shocked 8 months ago when my 3 children (DS - 6, DD1 - 5, DD2 - 3) and I were diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder. Although unlikely to cut our lives short (not impossible, however,) the disorder will certainly make our lives more restricted, miserable, and considerably more painful than any of us would ever wish. The litany of doctor's appointments, tests, needles, therapies and depressing probable outcomes (there is no cure or treatment) we have experienced since our diagnosis last August has left us all dizzy, tired, and worn out. My wife, though physically unaffected herself, has seen her healthy family move from normal to threatened and has had to provide support for all of us. She has suffered as only a devoted, loving wife and mother can in circumstances such as ours.

One result of all this was that our long held dream of sailing our own boat around the world for two years as a family has been utterly dashed because my children's safety comes first and the risks to their well-being on that adventure have simply become too great.

So when the opportunity to "get away from it all" - to escape a bit of our disappointment for a while - presented itself, we jumped. You see, we deserved it.

Many others deserve it. Life is short. People bang away day in and day out and too often deny themselves a little respite from it all for fear of having to justify it to themselves or someone else.

I haven't shared our circumstance to elicit sympathy - we are a strong family and honestly one of the things we are trying to escape is all the well-intentioned concern we have engendered in family and friends. I only bring it up as a very real example of the different factors other than mere price that go into the decision-making process. The reasons people make the choices they make are as varied as the people who make them. Please don't assume that the financial cost is the only thing to consider... or that it is the only thing that amounts to justification.

We get but one ride through this life, so allow me to suggest that you grab all the pixie dust you can when it blows by. It's real value is not quite so easily measured (or justified) in dollars and cents.

Sending :hug::hug::hug: to you and your family. Your post really help to put things in perspective.

Grab all the pixie dust you can!

Pearljammer,

I know you didn't mean to offend anyone when you posted, but understand that when you ask others to "justify" their plans you tend to put people on the defensive.

Others here have pointed out that personal choices and responsibility for those choices are up to everyone individually. Others have pointed out that some people just have more resources. Both arguments are utterly valid.

In my case it is simply a well-deserved vacation away from it all and, to be honest, I could have justified our 2br suite at twice its price.

We were shocked 8 months ago when my 3 children (DS - 6, DD1 - 5, DD2 - 3) and I were diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder. Although unlikely to cut our lives short (not impossible, however,) the disorder will certainly make our lives more restricted, miserable, and considerably more painful than any of us would ever wish. The litany of doctor's appointments, tests, needles, therapies and depressing probable outcomes (there is no cure or treatment) we have experienced since our diagnosis last August has left us all dizzy, tired, and worn out. My wife, though physically unaffected herself, has seen her healthy family move from normal to threatened and has had to provide support for all of us. She has suffered as only a devoted, loving wife and mother can in circumstances such as ours.

One result of all this was that our long held dream of sailing our own boat around the world for two years as a family has been utterly dashed because my children's safety comes first and the risks to their well-being on that adventure have simply become too great.

So when the opportunity to "get away from it all" - to escape a bit of our disappointment for a while - presented itself, we jumped. You see, we deserved it.

Many others deserve it. Life is short. People bang away day in and day out and too often deny themselves a little respite from it all for fear of having to justify it to themselves or someone else.

I haven't shared our circumstance to elicit sympathy - we are a strong family and honestly one of the things we are trying to escape is all the well-intentioned concern we have engendered in family and friends. I only bring it up as a very real example of the different factors other than mere price that go into the decision-making process. The reasons people make the choices they make are as varied as the people who make them. Please don't assume that the financial cost is the only thing to consider... or that it is the only thing that amounts to justification.

We get but one ride through this life, so allow me to suggest that you grab all the pixie dust you can when it blows by. It's real value is not quite so easily measured (or justified) in dollars and cents.

DisneyCruiser83

Do you mind if I ask what you paid to fly home from Europe after the EBTA and how you found the ticket? We were thinking of doing EBTA last minute, but the cost of a one-way ticket back from Europe is absolutely ridiculous.

I will say my husband and I take about 4 weeks of vacation each year, including 9 or 10 days in Deluxes at WDW. That said though, we originally booked on the Dream then moved to the Magic since we wanted more then three days. But the Magic was a little over $4000 for just the two of us. $4000 for one week was just too much before flight, excursions, special food, etc, so we switched to Royal Caribbean for this month's cruise. I would love to cruise DCL but I just cant justify the price!

DisneyCruiser83

Do you mind if I ask what you paid to fly home from Europe after the EBTA and how you found the ticket? We were thinking of doing EBTA last minute, but the cost of a one-way ticket back from Europe is absolutely ridiculous.

I always get my airline tickets from cheaptickets.com. Sometimes the prices jump around, so you need to keep an eye out. We got our tickets about 2 and a half months before the cruise and paid around $1400 for the two of us. It is almost as much as the cruise itself, but trust me the cruise is absolutely worth it. DH and I both agree it was our best trip ever. Good luck! :goodvibes

I just booked our 9th disney cruise to canada/New England this morning. We are definitly not wealthy. I used our DVC points for all but one cruise. I realize that some will say this is not a good use of points. But we bought into DVC to take vacations not to make money. I am not interested in spending my time selling points to pay cash for the cruise.

I only know that without DVC I would not have taken this many cruises. Thanks to DVC my only direct cost for the cruise is the points transfer fee and the tips to the staff.

$3000?! Wow! I wondered how people were doing those 25 day trips! I'm going to try to book last minute for the September 2011 crossing. I'm going to come live in Tampa with you when I make my reservation :)

You are welcome any time! There are a lot of Northeasterners here, you will fit right in! LOL :goodvibes

DisneyCruiser83

We did the same B2B last year and had tickets on Aer Lingus for under $500 pp for Barcelona to Boston. But we were returning in early May - a month before the summer prices kicked in. Getting to Europe in late August before the WBTA is definitely more expensive - more like $1000+ pp.

That said, airline and cruise prices really have gone up in the last year. The EBTA was roughly $50 pp /night and the 11-night Med was $100/night. Double or triple that for current bookings on DCL. And no, I don't believe it's all due to fuel costs.

However, the $1800 pp rate on the Hawaiian cruise is $120/night, a price more consistent with prices from previous years.

Justifying the prices disney charges is only possible if you love all things Disney . But evan then it can be hard sometimes .

Honestly, I can not justify the prices, never have...so we never sailed until last year when they started dipping into concessions, we have been on two Disney cruises (kids sail free)..with 3 kids, it's a deal..I have NO doubt that there will be deals coming out next year, this ridiculous pricing on new legs will be tested and people will not book....supply/demand/availability of people to pay (people just do not have access to credit like they did 5, 10 years ago...) the government is shutting down...you don't have to read tea leaves to know that the economy is in a crisis...just hopeful Disney can pull through these next five years...it's going to be a rough ride for many.

Tara

I just booked our 9th disney cruise to canada/New England this morning. We are definitly not wealthy. I used our DVC points for all but one cruise. I realize that some will say this is not a good use of points. But we bought into DVC to take vacations not to make money. I am not interested in spending my time selling points to pay cash for the cruise.

Well said. We are using our points for our Magic cruise in 3 weeks. It took 284 points (and we only have 290), but it sure was nice knowing after we booked the cruise it hadn't cost us anything additional other than what we already pay for our DVC. I see us doing the same thing in the future, but will probably only use points for one person and pay cash for the second person. That is really the only way we could afford to sail DCL. As for the folks who say it is not a good use of points, that is just their opinion. It is really up to you how you use your points.

DisneyCruiser83

This year Disney airfare is the cheapest we could find. Our cost was $913 per person. This includes airfare from Louisville, Ky to Orlando, transfers from Orlando airport to the port, transfers from the port to the Barcelona airport, and airfare from Barcelona to Louisville. The price will vary depending on your home location but from what I have found it is significantly cheaper than anything else available.

I hate the word "justify" when it comes to discussions like this.

I have friends who have a boat or a vacation home or send their kids to private kindergarten or who buy new luxury cars or buy designer clothes. I don't do any of those things, but what do I care if others do?

And if I decide to spend top dollar on a suite on a Disney boat, why should anyone care about understanding why?

Don't worry, I pay my taxes, so I'm not burdening anyone. My money, my decisions.

I hate the word "justify" when it comes to discussions like this.

I have friends who have a boat or a vacation home or send their kids to private kindergarten or who buy new luxury cars or buy designer clothes. I don't do any of those things, but what do I care if others do?

And if I decide to spend top dollar on a suite on a Disney boat, why should anyone care about understanding why?

Don't worry, I pay my taxes, so I'm not burdening anyone. My money, my decisions.

:thumbsup2 Excellent post!!

How can you justify having a $30,000 car, or a $300,000 house, or someone who cleans your house once a week, or going out to eat several times per week, or buying coffee every morning instead of making it yourself...

Everybody's got priorities. For some, their priority is cruising.

Simple cost of living can also prevent you from spending $10,000 on a cruise. Average cost of a house here in Vancouver is over a million dollars (forget about $300,000 for a house - that won't even buy you a decent 2 bedroom condo), with prices expected to keep rising. Spending $10,000 on a cruise won't happen with us. A roof over our heads comes first. Admire the people who can afford to do it though!

I always get my airline tickets from cheaptickets.com. Sometimes the prices jump around, so you need to keep an eye out. We got our tickets about 2 and a half months before the cruise and paid around $1400 for the two of us. It is almost as much as the cruise itself, but trust me the cruise is absolutely worth it. DH and I both agree it was our best trip ever. Good luck! :goodvibes

I also looked into it and found that if you book RT, it actually cost less. Just book a bogus and cheap ticket for your return to Europe.

Simple cost of living can also prevent you from spending $10,000 on a cruise. Average cost of a house here in Vancouver is over a million dollars (forget about $300,000 for a house - that won't even buy you a decent 2 bedroom condo), with prices expected to keep rising. Spending $10,000 on a cruise won't happen with us. A roof over our heads comes first. Admire the people who can afford to do it though!

The cruises are much more expensive than I had hoped. And I can think of other things I could do with the $10K it could cost my family of 6 to go on the cruise. But there is a Magic to it (pardon the pun) that keeps me thinking about it. Not sure I can justify the price tag though.

It's all so relative to each person's perspective and financial situation. Over $5k-$10k is too much for my particular family to pay for a cruise. We have gone to Disney World twice for a cost of about $3000 for a week (including air fare, hotel, food, etc.) but for 2012 we decided to splurge and we have booked a 5-nighter on the Dream for $3752 (this is for 2 adults, 3 kids, porthole room). By the time we add in flights and maybe a day at Disney before, this vacation will be over $5000. Will it be worth it? I hope so!

But while I think $10k is a huge chunk of change for a cruise, our extended family thinks we're absolutely NUTSO for spending around $3k on each of the vacations we've done so far (including a trip to San Diego earlier this year). DH's family did not go on vacations growing up so they are shocked that we would even consider spending $3k on a single vacation. Yet they own expensive cars, Harleys, etc.--but their choice, they choose to spend money on different things.

On the other side of the spectrum, my brother's family goes on at least 4 "big" vacations every year. They bought timeshare points on ebay for real cheap and make good use of them, but I still have no idea how they can afford these trips. But travel is real important to them, so they've prioritized it accordingly.

How can you justify having a $30,000 car, or a $300,000 house, or someone who cleans your house once a week, or going out to eat several times per week, or buying coffee every morning instead of making it yourself...

Everybody's got priorities. For some, their priority is cruising.

live in is a little different than spending that kind of money on a cruise.
The prices are ridiculous. We are a family with an income of 250,000 and that is still hard for us to afford-especially saving for college and retirement, which again is a lot of people's priorities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter