• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me understand about the FAFSA

Before we moved, I was a financial aid counselor at a public university. You will need to do a separate FAFSA for each student. Even if the parental information is the same, the FAFSA also wants to know the income, assets, grade level, etc for each student on their own FAFSA. Each student will need to sign their own FAFSA with their own pin (or print/mail the signature page), but the same parent can use their own pin to sign both FAFSAs. You will also need to do the FAFSA again each year.

If you have questions specific to your EFC, it's always okay to call the financial aid office at the school your children are considering. That's what they're there for. :) They may not be able to give you a specific package at this point (we didn't start processing them until a bit later in the year) but they can confirm deadlines for you, answer questions about the application, and possibly let you know if you'll fall into grant range based on your EFC at that school.

Does anyone know if there's something on the FASFA for an unemployed parent at the time of submission?

DD17 is graduating this year and DH is laid off right now.

Your EFC for the 2010-2011 school year will be based on your taxed income for 2009. Our Financial Aid Department does what we call a professional judgment at enrollment to determine current circumstances. This is not automatic but something you have to ask for - I am not sure if all schools handle it this way.

You have got to be FREAKIN kidding me!!!! Okay...so im going to say what I can without getting points or banned frmo the boards....

So I went to community college (finishing up my 2nd year) and I am transferring to either UCLA, UC Irvine or UC Santa Barbara to get my BA in Psychology with a focus in child development. I am planning on going on to get my Masters in Psycholgy and my PhD or PsyD in Developmental Psychology. I am a semester ahead so I will have a full semester to get my minor in Early Childhood Development as well as my bachelors.

My friends at school are transferring to UC San Diego, UCLA, UC Berkley, ASU, Cal Poly, etc.
So im guessign your saying that we are not as good as your kids. That we are not as smart as your kids becasue we went to a community college?

In california, the community colleges work with the UC and CSU schools for transferring. You get a list of major prep courses from the schools you want to transfer to and you complete those courses at the community college. You commpelte what is called an IGETC. Its general Ed requirements. They are the same as what are offered at the four-year schools. In ways, I think they are better becasue they are not a lecture class with hundreds od kids in them. Most of our classes max out at 35-40 kids. Some have up to 50, while teh science classes have 25.

I had teh grades to get into a 4 year school. You have no idea what the situation is of kids at community colleges. I couldnt go 2 hours away to school. Wasnt an option. Too many medical issues. Too many hospitalizations. I needed to be near MY doctors adn MY hospital. An dyou know what. A BIG advantage was that yes, it saved A LOT of money. I will be able to pay for all of my undergraduate schooling except for one semester.

And there is no difference between kids finishing school whetehr they start at community college or whetehr they start at a 4 year school. If a kid isnt determinefd to compelte school, it wont mean a rats behind where they started.

I was able to have course loads of 15 credits, work 20-25 hours/wee, volunteer at the childrens hospital AND handle my doctors appts and hospitalizations in teh past 2 years. I can guarantee that I have gotten more life experience, more job experience, and more tiem management skills than most people at 4 year shcools.

So DONT YOU DARE make any remarks about community college. DONT YOU DARE look down on people who begin at community college. DONT YOU DARE!!!

And if you kept reading you will find that our community college system isn't connected to the state school system like your state is. Also, if you kept reading, for us it is more about going away to school. We don't want our kids to live at home in college and that isn't an option with community colleges around here. Again, my experience is that transferring into a college after one or two years at another school just doesn't give you the same college experience. No one is looking down at anyone, we are just saying that we expect our kids to go a different route.

The college experience...hmmm...I could go there, but it would be a whole other thread. :laughing:
While a couple of you have indicated that your community colleges are not affiliated with your state or local private colleges. Ours certainly is. :thumbsup2 Therefore, it is an extremly viable alternative to a four year private school. My kids haven't been limited by attending a community college before transfering. I've seen a GOOD many of their friends wind up back home, after falling short at expensive private schools. (there are always reasons..some just weren't ready for the "college experience". Soo..be careful what you wish for there.) Some actually chose not to have that "away" experience. Believe or not, there are some kids that prefer to go to school, and live at home. Every family is different. In our area, we have a little of everything. Kids go to both private four year schools..as well as our two year community college and transfer. Kids who go away to school and do very well. It's matter of choice.
My own brother first attended a private school...much to my father's dismay, he dropped out..continued at our community college. Eventually he transferred back to a different private school. He then was accepted to a very prestigious (again..local) law school. He has been a very succesful practicing attorney for well over 24 years. He has even turned down some very inticing state political invitations because they were not lucrative enough for him. Not an underachiever by any means. He's not embarassed to have a community college on his resume...and it's never limited his options.
While perhaps it wasn't intended, it does seem there is a generalization that community colleges are for underachievers, when nothing could be further from the truth, and I'm sorry...while perhaps it was not intended..some of the posts have come off in a condescending manner.
Every parent wants the best for their children, and there are bound to be different opinions as to what that might be. It doesn't make one choice better than another.

You have got to be FREAKIN kidding me!!!! Okay...so im going to say what I can without getting points or banned frmo the boards....

So I went to community college (finishing up my 2nd year) and I am transferring to either UCLA, UC Irvine or UC Santa Barbara to get my BA in Psychology with a focus in child development. I am planning on going on to get my Masters in Psycholgy and my PhD or PsyD in Developmental Psychology. I am a semester ahead so I will have a full semester to get my minor in Early Childhood Development as well as my bachelors.

My friends at school are transferring to UC San Diego, UCLA, UC Berkley, ASU, Cal Poly, etc.
So im guessign your saying that we are not as good as your kids. That we are not as smart as your kids becasue we went to a community college?

In california, the community colleges work with the UC and CSU schools for transferring. You get a list of major prep courses from the schools you want to transfer to and you complete those courses at the community college. You commpelte what is called an IGETC. Its general Ed requirements. They are the same as what are offered at the four-year schools. In ways, I think they are better becasue they are not a lecture class with hundreds od kids in them. Most of our classes max out at 35-40 kids. Some have up to 50, while teh science classes have 25.

I had teh grades to get into a 4 year school. You have no idea what the situation is of kids at community colleges. I couldnt go 2 hours away to school. Wasnt an option. Too many medical issues. Too many hospitalizations. I needed to be near MY doctors adn MY hospital. An dyou know what. A BIG advantage was that yes, it saved A LOT of money. I will be able to pay for all of my undergraduate schooling except for one semester.

And there is no difference between kids finishing school whetehr they start at community college or whetehr they start at a 4 year school. If a kid isnt determinefd to compelte school, it wont mean a rats behind where they started.

I was able to have course loads of 15 credits, work 20-25 hours/wee, volunteer at the childrens hospital AND handle my doctors appts and hospitalizations in teh past 2 years. I can guarantee that I have gotten more life experience, more job experience, and more tiem management skills than most people at 4 year shcools.

So DONT YOU DARE make any remarks about community college. DONT YOU DARE look down on people who begin at community college. DONT YOU DARE!!!

i took advantage of the california community colleges as well with absolutly no regrets.

my mind set was why on earth would i pay university tuition when the IDENTICAL professors taught the IDENTICAL courses at my 2 local community colleges for a fraction of the cost. this might not be the norm at all california community colleges but it was fairly common in the area of northern california where we lived-you had only to look to the faculty lists at u.c. berkley, ucsf, uc davis and even stanford then compare them to the faculty lists at the surrounding community colleges to find plenty of overlapping profs. teaching the same classes. every summer session while university enrollment plummeted, our local c.c.'s rose in some disciplines b/c the university kids flooded the sessions where they could take a class from a prof. and get much more personalized attention vs. sitting in a lecture hall with hundreds of other students.

i don't know how it works in other states, but in california, if you go to a c.c. for the first 2 years and then transfer to a 4 year to get your degree the diploma will read identicaly to the student who paid out tens of thousands more in tuition to take the same coursework from day one at that 4 year school.

i took advantage of the california community colleges as well with absolutly no regrets.

my mind set was why on earth would i pay university tuition when the IDENTICAL professors taught the IDENTICAL courses at my 2 local community colleges for a fraction of the cost. this might not be the norm at all california community colleges but it was fairly common in the area of northern california where we lived-you had only to look to the faculty lists at u.c. berkley, ucsf, uc davis and even stanford then compare them to the faculty lists at the surrounding community colleges to find plenty of overlapping profs. teaching the same classes. every summer session while university enrollment plummeted, our local c.c.'s rose in some disciplines b/c the university kids flooded the sessions where they could take a class from a prof. and get much more personalized attention vs. sitting in a lecture hall with hundreds of other students.

i don't know how it works in other states, but in california, if you go to a c.c. for the first 2 years and then transfer to a 4 year to get your degree the diploma will read identicaly to the student who paid out tens of thousands more in tuition to take the same coursework from day one at that 4 year school.

That's exactly the way it works in Virginia as well & Northern Virginia Community College is very well-thought of. Virginia residents can go to CC's such as NoVA, maintain a decent GPA, then transfer to a state school after 2 years.

agnes!

That's exactly the way it works in Virginia as well & Northern Virginia Community College is very well-thought of. Virginia residents can go to CC's such as NoVA, maintain a decent GPA, then transfer to a state school after 2 years.

agnes!

Which is exactly the point those of us for whom community college is not an option are trying to make - you have to consider the reputation of the specific colleges in question. Saying community college is not an acceptable option for us does not mean we are putting anyone who went to a community college down!

many high school seniors may not have the choice in upcoming years of not utilizing community colleges-slots for freshman at state universities and colleges have been reduced in many states already, and are projected to be reduced further. in california last year's reductions were around 6 or 7%, and they are talking of adding another 6-7% on top of that for fall 2010.

in some states a highschool senior may have a better shot of getting a freshman slot at an out of state university or college vs. the one they live in. some states, like california, are specificaly looking at further reductions in freshman slots aimed directly at the kids who are california residents. reason being is the state has traditionaly funded a portion of those kid's which is why state residents got a better deal on tuition, but with greater budget cuts looming the state colleges and universities reason that by reducing the resident enrollment slots they can free up more slots for out of state residents who are'nt reliant on state funding and pay the higher tuition fees the schools need.

golfgal said:
It is not an option in our house because we firmly believe that going away to college is about more than what you learn in the classroom and that transferring into college 2 years later does not give you the same experience as starting out as a freshman at that school. That was our experience in college and same with pretty much everyone we know. I also don't believe the classes are "exactly" the same-I know they are no where near the same here as the community colleges are not tied to the state schools like they are in other areas. Also, quite frankly, our kids are smarter than that. I am sure this will come off sounding snobbish but they can do better than community college and we want them to. DS14 has his sights set pretty high for college and going to a community college for a year or two first would do him a huge disservice. DD will most likely get a golf scholarship and again, going to a community college will do her a huge disservice. DS17 has zero interest in going that route and has tried to talk some of his friends out of doing that because he knows they will never finish if they go that route.

Which is exactly the point those of us for whom community college is not an option are trying to make - you have to consider the reputation of the specific colleges in question. Saying community college is not an acceptable option for us does not mean we are putting anyone who went to a community college down!

Diskat...seriously,:confused: you can read the above post and not see it's tone as a thinly veiled, condescending dismissal of a community college choice.:confused3 Come on, even with my limited community college education, I can see right through that. :laughing:

Wishing everyone's children much success and happiness, whatever their choices may be. :wizard: May filling out the FAFSA be our biggest worry! :thumbsup2

It is not an option in our house because we firmly believe that going away to college is about more than what you learn in the classroom and that transferring into college 2 years later does not give you the same experience as starting out as a freshman at that school. That was our experience in college and same with pretty much everyone we know. I also don't believe the classes are "exactly" the same-I know they are no where near the same here as the community colleges are not tied to the state schools like they are in other areas. Also, quite frankly, our kids are smarter than that. I am sure this will come off sounding snobbish but they can do better than community college and we want them to. DS14 has his sights set pretty high for college and going to a community college for a year or two first would do him a huge disservice. DD will most likely get a golf scholarship and again, going to a community college will do her a huge disservice. DS17 has zero interest in going that route and has tried to talk some of his friends out of doing that because he knows they will never finish if they go that route.

I think golfgal was quite clear she was talking about her own experience and the area she lives in - not where you live.

Community college is certainly a choice, but not everyone considers it an equal choice to a four year school, for many reasons. I do lots of things in my life that not everyone considers the best choice overall, but they were a good choice for me. Why the need to be so defensive?

Wow it is amazing where this thread has lead to.

I had the distinct honor (yes an honor) of accompanying my daughter to open houses and campus visits this year for "her" college choices. I would have to say the most enlightening moment of the whole experience came from a speech by Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J. University President at Fordham. He spoke of the college experience and in the beginning of the speech he spoke to the parents and the students. Then he took a turn and spoke directly to the students. He told them how he knew everyone was telling "them" where to go to school, which school was the best, whether it was a community school, a private school, or a state university. And then he stood there quiet for quite a bit and told those students to ignore all the advice they had received so far and to visit the schools "they" wanted to attend with and open mind, and to ask questions. More questions the better. And when May came around and they made their choice, it should be "THEIR" choice, and the people around them who really loved them would understand and approve of the choice, no matter where it was or what is was. College is your child's chance to start their lives, and as a parent if you limit their choices you are doing them a disservice.

May all the parents out there have the courage to step back and let their children make the choices they need to, be there to extend a hug or shoulder if the choice was not what it should have been, and the grace to never say I told you so.

Good luck to all the parents/children starting this new journey. I must admit, it has been a difficult road for me, but so far my daughter is enjoying it immensely.

I guess I don't understand why anyone would fill this out. My DD is paying for her own college when it comes time. She won't be getting any type of loans but may apply for grants or even qualify for scholarships.

If she cannot afford it, she can work her way through school like me and DP did.

On another thread, about how great 2009 was for you, you state you tripled your charitable donations.

To me, that money should go to a college fund for your DD..

There is no way a kid can completely fund a college education, especially if they want to go to a higher tier University.

Wow it is amazing where this thread had lead to.

I had the distinct honor (yes an honor) of accompanying my daughter to open houses and campus visits this year for "her" college choices. I would have to say the most enlightening moment of the whole experience came from a speech by Rev. Joseph M. McShane, S.J. University President at Fordham. He spoke of the college experience and in the beginning of the speech he spoke to the parents and the students. Then he took a turn and spoke directly to the students. He told them how he knew everyone was telling "them" where to go to school, which school was the best, whether it was a community school, a private school, or a state university. And then he stood there quiet for quite a bit and told those students to ignore all the advice they had received so far and to visit the schools "they" wanted to attend with and open mind, and to ask questions. More questions the better. And when May came around and they made their choice, it should be "THEIR" choice, and the people around them who really loved them would understand and approve of the choice, no matter where it was or what is was. College is your child's chance to start their lives, and as a parent if you limit their choices you are doing them a disservice.

May all the parents out there have the courage to step back and let their children make the choices they need to, be there to extend a hug or shoulder if the choice was not what it should have been, and the grace to never say I told you so.

Good luck to all the parents/children starting this new journey. I must admit, it has been a difficult road for me, but so far my daughter is enjoying it immensely.

Very wise words! :thumbsup2 ITA.

Again, my experience is that transferring into a college after one or two years at another school just doesn't give you the same college experience.

I started out at a community college, and while I was studying and working, my friends who went away to 4 year colleges out of town or out of state were enjoying the college experience all right: getting drunk, getting high, flunking out, watching naked men streak down the hallway at 3am... :rotfl:

On another thread, about how great 2009 was for you, you state you tripled your charitable donations.

To me, that money should go to a college fund for your DD..

There is no way a kid can completely fund a college education, especially if they want to go to a higher tier University.

i think it depends on how a person defines a 'college education'. for many students (esp. those coming out of highschool) they just assume it has to include living on campus or in independant living situations, which can add to higher expenses. some operate on the principle that they should'nt have to work a job while attending, or if they do that money should'nt have to be used for their attendance costs-so money that could be used to pay off costs as they occur is'nt. some believe college has to be attended under the tradition full time/school day hours and don't consider taking advantage of programs for working adults at the identical universities that might take a year longer but facilitate full time employment which can generate the money to pay as you go.

dh attends college with far more students that are paying their own way as they go (tuition/fees/books) absent scholarships, grants, loans or parental monetary contributions than most imagine. they do it in a variety of ways-some opted to delay college a couple of years to work full time and bank enough to be able to not work while attending (key factor for this to work is parents that allow the student to live at home at no or low rent), some work part-time throughout the year (and bump up to full during summer) and parents help out by allowing them to live at home rent free (at our state's minimum wage if a person works, even considering payroll deductions and taxes, for just 18 hours a week year round it generates enough to cover tuition/fees/books/supplies). some who live independantly work full time and take advantage of night, evening and summer classes (you almost never see any of the freshman or juniors take summer classes-it never occurs to them that they could graduate up to a year early by attending, they see the summers as their 'time off for good behaviour-the expense be damned':rotfl::sad2:).

so yeah-it's not cheap, but it's not impossible for a student to pay their own way. and if they want to go to one of the higher tier universities they need to look to the cost and determine how it's going to be/can be met.

No one is looking down at anyone, we are just saying that we expect our kids to go a different route.

Once again. You've got to be FREAKIN kidding me. Your OP was extremely condescending and extremely judgemental about ANYONE who chooses to go to a community college. reread your OP adn if you cant figure out what part makes you think your kids are so superior and makes you seem judgemental, well than that says somethign about you.

Also, quite frankly, our kids are smarter than that. I am sure this will come off sounding snobbish but they can do better than community college and we want them to.

Basically, you just said right there that anyone who goes to a communtiy college is not as smart as your kids. Your basically calling anyone who goes to a community college dumb. Your also saying that my parents didnt want better for me. Right there, black and white. Your kids "can do better than community college". COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED ABOUT!!! And it is snobbish, condescending, judgemental adn makes you sound like ...well...i cant post here.

Maybe you should learn what it means to have an open mind and not be so dang judgemental.

FYI: I read your entire post. I dont give a crud about whether or not you CCs are connected with the state system. I was responded to what I just quoted above.

so yeah-it's not cheap, but it's not impossible for a student to pay their own way. and if they want to go to one of the higher tier universities they need to look to the cost and determine how it's going to be/can be met.
My DP did it, I have done it. Higher tiers are not all that important unless one is going for a specific specialty. I am not knocking them but they were not for our needs.

When I worked for someone else, never once other than my very first job did I even get asked to see a diploma. I truly believe in going to higher ed for knowledge, but the degree is just secondary IMHO.

Basically, you just said right there that anyone who goes to a communtiy college is not as smart as your kids. Your basically calling anyone who goes to a community college dumb. Your also saying that my parents didnt want better for me. Right there, black and white. Your kids "can do better than community college". COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED ABOUT!!! And it is snobbish, condescending, judgemental adn makes you sound like ...well...i cant post here.

She didn't say that at all. Smart kids can choose to go to a less selective college if they want to. However, if their grades are really good they can choose a more selective option if they (or their parents) wish. Are you really trying to deny that community colleges are often less selective than their four year counterparts?

My college was much less selective than many other colleges I could have chosen to apply to. That was just ONE of the criteria used when I was choosing. Depending on the child though, selectivity might be an important criteria if they are looking for the highest level challenge.

My DP did it, I have done it. Higher tiers are not all that important unless one is going for a specific specialty. I am not knocking them but they were not for our needs.

When I worked for someone else, never once other than my very first job did I even get asked to see a diploma. I truly believe in going to higher ed for knowledge, but the degree is just secondary IMHO.

some of the most recent college grads in our family are coming to this realization a bit too late.

they 'HAD' to go to the higher tiered private college they had their heart set on, would'nt even consider the highly thought of state universities near their homes. did'nt take into consideration that with some career paths your potential earnings are'nt going to be driven by which college is on that degree-just that you have the degree, the skills, and the necessary licensing.

as a result their degrees cost them over 4 times more than their peers at the nearby state university.

now as teachers, they earn the identical salaries as their peers but while their peers who slammed everything into student loans might owe $30,000-the cost of their education rolled into student loans runs around $127,000:scared1::scared1:

their degrees from the private college afford them no greater opportunites for jobs, and the unanticipated cost to them of loan repayment is that while their peers are able to afford to begin graduate studies which will lead to higher earnings, they are in no position to afford to do so for now or the foreseeable future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter