Help me to convince husband

Degli

DIS Veteran
What can I do? He won't budge. We both love Disney. Been twice in 3 years. I think it's a good deal if you go once every to every other year. How do I get him to consider it? How did you guys convince your spouses? I think the memories that we could have with our children and families would be irreplacable. Am I being nutty? Help!!!

What are your husband's specific concerns/objections? If we had that information it would help us help you address his concerns.

It is a large investment. I feel both you and your spouse should both want to do it. In addition, I am not a big fan of SSR and that is all that is left.

Good luck.

My husband wasnt keen on the idea either..... until we stayed at OKW in a 2 bedroom unit......... he is now as hooked as I am.

I see you have stayed at WL on your last two trips.......... a resale there is an option.

I agree with bcvillastwo, more information is needed.... How many children..... ages..... vacation time...... etc

Good luck!

Originally posted by sgtpet
In addition, I am not a big fan of SSR and that is all that is left.

actually they are offering BWV as well, although our guide says they are going fast. apparently they are moving the offices out to SSR and that freed up some pts. we just bought 170pts at BWV through DVC.

i agree you and your spouse should both be on board for such a big investment. you might want to do a simple cost analysis and show him how much $$ you'll be saving in the long run, the better accomodations, etc......

call dvc and get the video and info! that should help :)

This is a big decision. If he's got major reservations I respect that. It not for everyone.

For your next trip, I would suggest you rent points for at least a 1BR unit, and have a meeting with a guide booked, to go over the issues, questions, etc. If he's still not budging, I think it's pretty much hopeless.

Good luck!

Try renting points for your next trip and let him experience the DVC firsthand. I, too, was a holdout. Now I only have one regret, not joining sooner.
Hope y'all can work things out!
Good Luck.

I was hesitant at first and my DH wanted to buy right away. I convinced him to take the info back home and think about it. We ended up buying a couple weeks later and now I can't wait for our first trip home!!!! I am so happy he convinced me. The way he convinced me was showing me what we had just spent on our week at the BC. Then he showed me what it would cost every other year with inflation. He then showed me DVC costs and it was a no-brainer....and we get to go every year if we want to :)

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I agree with the others. Read everything on the internet about DVC. The DIS, MousePlanet, Mousesavers, and Deb Will's site all have good information. I am sure there are others, but those are my top choices.

Get the video and information.

Rent points for a one bedroom. My preference would be OKW as the Wow! factor when you first walk into a one bedroom there is incredible. But any resort would be a great treat and a real eye opener.

Take the tour. There is NO pressure to buy. The guides answer all of your questions and are very patient.

Review your vacation patterns (timing, duration, spending by category, etc.). Then you know what season you are likely to visit during and from that the number of points you need for your typical length of stay. Remember if you start out with a trip every other year, you really only need one-half the number of points because you will bank or borrow one year's points to use with the current year's points for your trip. This will help you see if the investment makes sense for you.

Best of luck!

I did the cost analysis thing. I explained the "no more vacations in one room with two small children" thing. I artfully demonstrated all of the different resorts we could use, as well as Hilton Head (golfing) and Vero. I assured him we'd never lose points through banking (or renting out if we had to.) When none of that worked, I "creatively" bribed him - and we're now the proud owner of 200 BCV points. There's always some way to do trade offs and compromise, even if I had to sell out something I was holding firm on!!!! (And did so gladly.) Of course, I'm convinced that any day now he's going to have the loony bin bus come to the house and take me away in a straight-jacket if I don't stop reading these boards......

Hey, us DH's aren't always the reluctant ones. We were in the same situation as kaw1106 - I'm the Disney planner in the family (DW loves Disney too, but I'm the loony-bin candidate) and had been keeping my eye on DVC. I showed DW all of the AP Discount hoo-ha, and showed her the math, she said "well, let's look into it" and we were off to the races for SSR (get it, races, Saratoga? never mind).

So my answer is information; learn as much as you can, get comfortable with the finances and let it roll around in his head a while.

Good luck!

Start crying and don't stop until he says yes.

I tried to put a cute smilie in here but it didn't work.

Rent points and have a great time. You may have to resign yourself that you will rent points several times if not more. DVC is still a great deal as a renter. Don't pressure him and let DVC sell itself. Renting or purchasing, your still benefiting and having those wonderful times together. Besides, renters can leave thier trash in the halls, no worries.:cool:

My hubby was sort of the one on the fence about doing it and we did it right after we did the info meeting before coming home. After we were home waiting for the papers he kept saying he just knows we jumped into it too soon. It only took the first trip home last year and then all I heard was see I told you we should have done this sooner!! Figure that one out!!!! LOL

Originally posted by flexsmom
I did the cost analysis thing. I explained the "no more vacations in one room with two small children" thing. I artfully demonstrated all of the different resorts we could use, as well as Hilton Head (golfing) and Vero. I assured him we'd never lose points through banking (or renting out if we had to.) When none of that worked, I "creatively" bribed him - and we're now the proud owner of 200 BCV points. There's always some way to do trade offs and compromise, even if I had to sell out something I was holding firm on!!!! (And did so gladly.) Of course, I'm convinced that any day now he's going to have the loony bin bus come to the house and take me away in a straight-jacket if I don't stop reading these boards......

Flexmom, we received our FedEx package this week for SSR. We have been going to DW off and on for the last 17 years, but didn't purchase because kids got involved in AAU which would not afford us to use DVC like we wanted to do (we traveled to venues in which there was no Disney getaways). The youngest one is in her last year of college, now its our time!!!!1

My DH became convinced when we ended our stay last month at VB. Halleluyah.......he was converted!!!!! We might be on the same loony bin bus, DH can't believe that I spend so much time reading these boards, however, he always asks me what have you read lately!!!

Question, why are the DHs hard to convince compared to DWs?

Maybe now is not the right time. You can still go to DW every year and with the discount codes probably come out ahead -- although you won't come out ahead if you stay in one of the 1BR or 2BR units year after year for many years. But they have been offering great deals on AKL and some of the other great resorts over the past year.

When the right time comes you'll both agree.

In the meantime don't get obsessed with DVC. It's nice but not that nice.

Yes, I agree it's worth a try. Sometimes there's something about those 2 Bedroom units at OKW, isn't there? That's what "hooked" my somewhat reluctant DH too!

My husband was totally against buying DVC for the longest time. He isn't the biggest Disney fan. I was finally able to wear him down by spending a week at the Hilton Head resort. Within the first 24 hours DH was convinced. He loved the spaciousness of our 2 bedroom villa, the relaxed feeling of the island and the fact that there were no characters running around (and of course the fact that we didn't have to set an alarm to get up for early entry helped too).

Anyway, here we are about 2 years after our purchase and while I am thrilled, DH is less so. When we go to Hilton Head he is all for it but when I plan any time at Disney he either grudging goes or tells me to take one of my sisters (which I gladly did last month).

I guess my point is, while I am happy he finally agreed to a purchase, his lack of enthusiasm is a real joy killer sometimes. We were scheduled to be sailing on the Wonder for our 10th anniversary in November and he had me cancel and book Hilton Head instead. I'm glad he loves Hilton Head (and so do I) but I don't want to have to take separate vacations when I want to spend a week at Disney every once in a while.

Just giving you something to think about. You may want to consider the long-term effects of "convincing" your hubby to do something he really may not want to do. I do hope you are able to find a "home" resort you can both be happy with and hope to welcome you home soon!!!!!!! :D

You've got to get your husband in a villa. My husband was never a big Disney fan. We took 4 WDW trips, 2 of them with friends who were DVC'ers. On that 2nd trip he was pushing me to "make the appointment." Once the appointment was made the entire trip revolved around it! He has never regretted it. We have 3 children ranging in age 13-3 and feel very comfortable traveling to Disney. The only thing he sometimes complains about is that we have not tried anything outside of the DVC resorts. I figure we will have time for that when the kids get older. Now I want to add-on and he says "go ahead you're going to do what you want anyways." I'm still hemming and hawing but we've never looked back, except for not joining sooner. I love overhearing him talk to people about our membership. You would think it was his idea!

Get him in a villa, preferably at OKW. Start with the minimum points so you don't overwhelm him. Good luck!

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter