Help me shop gluten free on a budget!

erinmomof2

Mouseketeer
My 2 year old was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. My husband and I are having the hardest time finding gluten free food that actually tastes decent, and also that isn't crazy expensive. This week our grocery budget tripled and we didn't even buy that much. It was crazy. I signed up with mambo sprouts for coupons. Is there anywhere else to sign up? I can't believe how expensive gluten free is turning out to be. We're trying to push fresh fruit for snacks and meats and veggies for dinner. But she's 2 and she just wants sandwich, and so far she's HATED the gluten free. I may attempt to bake bread myself, but I am not a baker and tend to burn just about any kind of baked good.

Please help with your best tips!

Thanks!
Erin

Rice and potatoes? I've done gluten free before, and it's a budget killer. My nieces have celiac, and my nephew is allergic to wheat, and it's SO expensive!

If there's a Trader Joe's in your area, take a look around in there. Otherwise, I can't help you much.

You should check 5dollardinners.com I'm fairly certain at least one of the blogger's sons is Gluten-free so a ton of her recipes are catered toward that type of diet.

If you have an Angel Food Ministries distribution site for you they have an allergy free box that is also Gluten free

I have Celiac disease and can sympathize. ;) My daughter is 20 months... she doesn't have Celiac disease, but I have her mostly on a gluten-free diet with me.

I try to shop "regular" foods that are naturally gluten-free rather than pick up those specialty GF items. Here are suggestions:

rice cakes w/ cream cheese
any kind of cheese (just check the label to be sure)
fruit snacks (those gummy candy-like kind)
apple sauce
yogurt
chips
All Chex cereals (except Wheat chex) are now gluten free
eggs
salad w/o croutons
plain meat, fruits & veggies - obviously
mashed potatoes/baked potatoes
pudding, jello
ice cream (except "cookie dough" flavors, etc)
rice crackers
rice
Chili (double-check the ingredients you use... Wendy's Chili is GF and great!)
beans, seeds, nuts
Corn taco shells
popcorn

I hope that helps for starters... I'll add more when I think of other items.

LittleDino, what a great list, thank you! I've been meaning to try and cut some of the glutten out of my diet, but have been overwhelmed. Your list will help!

Terri

My daughter eats lots of fruits, veggies, rice and potatoes.
Potato chips, french fries are gluten free (double check the label).
Betty Crocker fruit snacks are also gluten free.
Many yogurts are also gluten free.
I bake gluten free chocolate chip cookies, but they are expensive. I've heard walmart sells the betty crocker chocolate chip mix cheaper.

She loves it when I make smoothies. This is one of her favorite snacks. I mix oj, cranberry juice, frozen strawberries and yogurt.

We have not found a gluten free bread that she likes and I've tried baking the bread and it was a disaster.

corn chex cereal

rice chex cereal

both are gluten free. I bought both last week and it says right on the front of the box. I know that's not much but it might help for a snack or breakfast.

Whole Foods sells Gluten Free Bread and pastas that actually tastes wonderful! I highly recommend shopping there for GF bread and pasta.

do you have an iphone? If so I noticed yesterday they have a new gluten free app to help you when shopping.

Trader Joes has a lot of mixes and things that are GF- I just got a book from the librbary about baking with almond flour(it's so good) and I know TJ's has the best price on almond flour-
Ikea sells a few cakes in their freezer section that are almond based and GF,they are so GOOD!
Amazon.com also sells GF groceries which can save some, Glutino is a great brand,but oh so expensive.... you'll have to learn some baking skills to survive this...it's the cookies and breads that kill the budget.....

Can I ask how your dd was diagnosed? My dd is 5 and has had MANY symptoms of Celiac disease. We are seeing a endocronologist for another issue - early puberty - who said that is one of the symptoms of the disease. Both of the test they did came back negative, but her allergist (she's allergic to everything!) said a true diagnosis would have to be done with a scope or scrape test? After reading all the symptoms, she has so many of them, I'm just confused as to what is causing all her problems. I was curious as to if your dd was diagnosed with blood test, etc. Thanks!

Can I ask how your dd was diagnosed? My dd is 5 and has had MANY symptoms of Celiac disease. We are seeing a endocronologist for another issue - early puberty - who said that is one of the symptoms of the disease. Both of the test they did came back negative, but her allergist (she's allergic to everything!) said a true diagnosis would have to be done with a scope or scrape test? After reading all the symptoms, she has so many of them, I'm just confused as to what is causing all her problems. I was curious as to if your dd was diagnosed with blood test, etc. Thanks!

My daughter's blood test was positive. But they had to do an endoscopy and a biopsy of her small intestines. It took about 10 minutes. And the damage was pretty bad on her intestines which is a sign of Celiac.

I should have mentioned at the beginning that my daughter cannot have dairy. So no cheese. That is really cutting down on foods for her, she loves dairy so this has been hard. The dairy thing is probably temporary, but I'm not sure how long. Her insides are so damaged that the dairy is too hard on her right now. She's living on potato chips, banana's, and the occasional piece of chicken.... not exactly healthy!

Also check out Stephanie O'Dea's crockpot 365 blog (and book!) All of her crockpot meals are GF!!!

My daughter's blood test was positive. But they had to do an endoscopy and a biopsy of her small intestines. It took about 10 minutes. And the damage was pretty bad on her intestines which is a sign of Celiac.

I should have mentioned at the beginning that my daughter cannot have dairy. So no cheese. That is really cutting down on foods for her, she loves dairy so this has been hard. The dairy thing is probably temporary, but I'm not sure how long. Her insides are so damaged that the dairy is too hard on her right now. She's living on potato chips, banana's, and the occasional piece of chicken.... not exactly healthy!

Thank you for sharing. I've been so upset about my dd lately and her situation. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad she doesn't have it, but yet we are back to square one with trying to figure out what's wrong. Good luck to you and your daughter. :goodvibes

Also check out Stephanie O'Dea's crockpot 365 blog (and book!) All of her crockpot meals are GF!!!

LOVE the Crockpot 365 blog! Her recipes are actually good! I don't know anything about Celiac disease, unfortunately. I can tell you to hang in there! It might be worth it to buy an inexpensive bread machine so it can make the bread for you. I've been making bread for years and prefer to make it by hand, but the machines do a great job too!

I may not be much help for you because my son has only been gluten free for 2 months. Giant (if you have one near you) has lots of gluten free snacks/ foods. I try to always make 'extra' for dinner and he can have left overs. we found some really good gluten free crackers at sams. They are $$$ but I limit how many he can have each time. It is a major budget buster and has been frustrating at times but it has changed my sons life and it is worth it! I bought the book called gluten free for dummies and it has some great ideas in it. I look forward to any other ideas anyone else has! :goodvibes

My son is 16 and a Celiac. He was diagnosed at 2. It was horrible. Back then no one ever heard of it and there weren't hardly any gluten free foods. We've tried everything. I buy his bread at Whole Foods. He likes the 365 brand sandwich bread. It is outrageously expensive. I believe it is $6.99 a small loaf. I try to buy as much as I can that is naturally gluten free as well. Meats are gluten free - just make sure that they aren't marinated unless you do it yourself with a gluten free. I use italian dressing a lot. Potatoes are gluten free and vegetables are gluten free. It really keeps your budget down if you buy "regular" food. As far as snacks go, I buy Lays Chips in the cannister, most lays are okay. Some Doritoes are okay and I buy him candy. I find that the cookies and things add up so I buy him the other stuff that are gluten free and only buy the cookies a couple of times a month. He doesn't care as long as he is getting a snack. A lot of ice creams are gluten free as well.

A biopsy is essential in finding out if your child is a celiac.

I will try to answer anything that I can. But, it is expensive. No way around it unless you just try to buy the "regular" good. I like to do this as well so he can eat like everyone else without always having to feel different. So many restaurants now have gluten free menus.

I also am not a baker and would rather buy the bread than try to bake it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter