Help me save my Merrills

Liltx

DIS Veteran
My sandals stink. I have very sweaty feet and wore them everyday last year in DL. Major mistake :eek: . They still smell funy and I haven't worn them since. They cost me $87 and I don't want to throw them away. They have a suede like footbed. Any ideas?

TIA

Monica

I have never tried this, but have read about this. Supposedly the smell is caused by bacteria. If you put the shoes in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer for a few days, supposedly that will kill the bacteria, and thus kill the smell.

Has anyone tried this? :confused3

I am looking forward to hearing the answers you get. I wear dansko clogs for work (12 hour shifts) and they stink too. I don't want to throw away $100 shoes.

Sorry I don't have any ideas but I was contemplating using lysol?
Jen :goodvibes

Your thread is very timely. I have been agonizing over dumping my Merrils this weekend also, I love them but they smell. I havent had a pair of shoes do that before and I had tried the Dr. scholls, the baking powder, etc. I am so disappointed, they were expensive and are so comfy!

Anyone have anything? I might try the freezer thing, even if it doesnt work I cannot hurt them!

I've frozen my tevos for up to a week in a giant ziploc with baking soda and they still stink. If anyone finds a solution, let me know! I'm determined if I get a new pair, I will be spraying them with lysol, freezing, etc. OFTEN to prevent problems rather than waiting until they stink beyond repair.

I have done the freezing w/ no luck also - also tried the running thru the dryer's hottest cycle for 2 hours...I think they smelled worse!!:scared1: (High heat should kill the bacteria, more so than the cold...)

I HAVE done one "trick" that worked - but it was not on Merrills (they were cheapo flats, but I :love: them) so repeat at your own risk. Make a sloution of 70 percent ethyl alcohol to 30% water (often enough rubbing alcohol may be this...need to check the bottle...) I know from my job that this dilution is IDEAL for killing bacteria (as opposed to straight 100% alcohol....which doesn't kill as well, isnt that funny...:confused3 )

I poured/rubbed it (rubbed HARD w/ the scratchy/green side of a sponge)onto the soles and repeated a couple of times, (rinsed w/ water in between treatments...ewww, the color of that water!) Then I set them in direct sun for a couple of days. (Warning they may smell worse at first , but after the sun time it was ALL GONE!!!:woohoo: ) I hope this can help someone.

ps - not to sound too happy, but with my Keens this never happens - the soles are treated w/ some anti-microbial stuff!:)

LOL, this was the exact reason I threw out my Merrills. Glad it's not only my feet :rotfl2:

We now wear Keens, comfy and no smelly problem.

Sue

I'm glad to hear about the keens--I have 2 pair of Dansko sandals and they stink awful. None of my other shoes stink like this--I have 2 year old tennis shoes that do not stink. I have tried everything with the danskos and no luck, I am finally going to toss them.

I think I will try the alcohol and then throw them in the washer and let them dry in the sun. If they are ruined I was going to toss them anyway.
I am going to have to get a prescription from the dr. I ruin my shoes every year even when I am careful. I have tried everything and even the listerine every night (for peoples pharmacy) didn't work.

I'm bummed :sad1:

Monica

I think I will try the alcohol and then throw them in the washer and let them dry in the sun. If they are ruined I was going to toss them anyway.
I am going to have to get a prescription from the dr. I ruin my shoes every year even when I am careful. I have tried everything and even the listerine every night (for peoples pharmacy) didn't work.

I'm bummed :sad1:

Monica

Man, I have this problem too and hate it!:sad2: Have dealt w/ it since hitting pubery. Not too much helps me....but I do change my shoes a LOT (try not to wear them more than one day in a row.)

I have heard there are GREAT results w/ getting botox injections to the feet, if you just have some extra money sitting around. :cutie: Good luck!

.... but I was contemplating using lysol?

Different shoes, different feet, and your experience might be different, BUT. I had a spendy pair of Doc Martens (maryjane style, awesome, awesome clunky shoes) that I wore BAREFOOT on the FIRST day I owned them, walking around on a HOT afternoon in downtown Seattle.

You can GUESS what I did to those poor things.

Finally I lysoled them, and...it was worse. Horrid, awful, grossness. Could only wear them from then on with socks and in the cold, and NOT if I was getting into a car with anyone (heater vent on those shoes = losing friends, haha).

I wouldn't lysol a shoe ever again.

9 years later, after hoping against hope they would lose their smell, I gave up and threw them away. :(

MaI have heard there are GREAT results w/ getting botox injections to the feet, if you just have some extra money sitting around. :cutie: Good luck!

Oh good god, needles in the feet. :scared1: Had needles in my feet for foot injuries (twice!), and couldn't do that again if you paid me!

Can't help you w/ the shoes but maybe on ohter shoes in the future: I had really,really bad problems w/ my feet sweating. The podiatrist gave me a prescription for some stuff (Drysol???) that did the trick! It's made from formaldehyde, and you dab it on the feet. It worked so well, I used it on my underarms, too! Now I can just use Ban antiperspirant; before that, nothing worked on my underarms.

However, the Ban's not working so good anymore; I think they have changed the formulation. I'm thinking of trying the new Secrect Clinical.

Have you tried vinegar? It won't hurt anything and does wonders for other odors.

I throw them in the washing machine w a little bleach.

This worked perfectly with mine! Hot water, lots of bleach!

They are like new!

I also threw my kids Ecco sandals in as well. It worked for them too!

I put a few old towels in to help "scrub" them.

So day two report.

I did wash them in hot water after soaking them in oxyclean spray for 10 minutes. It bubbled like nobody's buisiness in the areas my foot was touching. It was really weird, where the arch didn't touch it was bubble free. SO now they are drying in the sun. They smell pretty good so far. I'll let you know how it goes.

Any ideas for keeping them smelling good? I will only wear them every 3rd day from now on.

Monica

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter