help me save my fave jacket (and save $$)

mafibisha

DIS Veteran
My fave summer jacket is just looking a little faded.

Its very light-weight, and in a medium shade of a khaki green / beige, that goes with everything, like jeans or crops or as a throw-on in a super A/C'd movie or restaurant.

I know dyeing can be difficult (from asking here about my fave corduory pants!) but since this is 100% cotton, please give me advice on dyeing and saving it.

I'd like to dye it a color, maybe a light, periwinkle blue, or maybe something summery, like a deep (not bright!) pink? or coral? Open to any color actually, except yellow, so which colors would work best?

I'm open to any ideas to help me save it. Not only is it super comfy but I don't want to spend $$ to replace it.

Thanks in advance! :)

The fabrick is already a color...so the chances of actually changing the color to something completely different is going to be almost impossible.

Green is not a primary color...and combining it with another color will get you something that has a green hue to it.

For best results, I think you'd have to stay in the same color family the fabric is right now and expect that any stain...no matter how small...may be magnified or will not take the dye as well as the rest of the jacket.

Dyeing it is really not an option you will end up making it a weird color that you don't want to wear in public and be sad you tried. Probably end up being a coat you wouldn't want to wear in public...you can either just love it faded and all...after all vintage is in...and people pay big money for it...or you can look for another one like on the bay...Just a couple ideas...

I wouldn't go coral or periwinkle...but you could probably do a shade of green as long as it doesn't have stains, & are willing to accept that you may not like the result. OTOH, you may love it!

Just a few questions...Is it all cotton or linen? including any lining?Can it be washed in warm water? ,and providing it hasn't got major stains, if so it is dye-able.
Start by getting rid of stains. Use Zout, or something you like. Then wash it again in Synthrapol, or Dharma Professional Textile Detergent, it will remove all the oil, grease, and so on that could cause dye to take unevenly. I get it at a local art supple store, or at this site http://www.dharmatrading.com/topnav/chemicals/
Then while the jacket is wet, remove it from the washer, refill the washer with water add dye and the jacket... you can also get info on "how to" from the site
http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/
I over dye clothing all the time, most of the time it comes out great. However, there is some cases where I get results that are a suprise. Like when an all natural fabric garment is sewn with poly thread and I have used a dye for natural fiber...
However, I also use Ritz dye, the liquid, and have dyed wool blue-wanted green, it was baby poo yellow, used blue thinking it would be green, but nope got a great grey-blue. Very nice and soft color. Also Ritz will dye plastic buttons and zippers, sometimes NOT the color you wanted...
If you don't plan on wearing the jacket as it is now you don't have anything to lose.
I do agree that going with a close color will work best. You can go dark green, most blues, and so on. Green and red make brown(ish), green and purple, bad! Green and orange, yuck!
Use the paint program and the "shear" to try out colors.
Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter