Help me please....POFQ or Pop Update we changed to POP

GillieRose

DIS Veteran
All right we right now are booked for POFQ in December but I'm thinking of saving over 400 dollars and staying at a value. The kids love the pictures of Pop Century and the All Stars. They are 4 and 7. We stayed at POFQ in May 05 and we loved it. But if I change the hotel then we could go to the Magic Kingdom Christmas party. Please help me. I have only stayed at Moderates and I'm scared to move to a value. The dates would be Dec 14-22. Please help me get over the fear of changing to a value. Thank you for reading this. I'm driving my family crazy with this. :confused3

We changed to POP today. Saved 400 with the preferred room. Now thinking of calling back to get standard and saving another 100. We did buy the MVMCP tickets for Dec. 19th. The kids are very excited about POP which makes me Exicted.

My husband and I have stayed at POFQ and love it, we have also stayed at POP and love it too. we booked a trip for this Dec at POFQ and after some thought and realizing that if we went tp pop instead we would save $700 we decided to switch to Pop.

I stayed at AllStars on my first 10 day Disney Mega-Vacation back in '95. We didn't spend much time in the rooms so they were fine.

This time around .. money is tight.. so we're staying at Pop.. but I am completely fine with that. I've stayed at Wilderness, and several other moderates.. but for the most part the values are just that a great value with just a few trade-offs.

J

A couple of years ago my family of four stayed at POP when my daughters were 7 and 9. They loved the theming and exploring the property. Loved the food court and buses ran well also. I personally, love the POFQ and the coziness of it. My favorite mod. is the french quarter. If the $$$ are a big issue, I would go with POP because it is really great for kids, especially the ages that you have. My only hesitation are the beds. I feel the beds at the pop were a little hard for me....however, I have a bad back.

I have gone in December twice, about the same week you are going. You will love the decorations! It is so great.

The kids would love All Star Movies or Pop.The icons are fun and so Disney!.

The main difference between a mod and a value is that mods have a hot tub and a pool slide.
Not much difference in the room size.

Here is the layout.
The bathroom of a mod is about the same size as the All Stars but the mod has 2 sinks instead of one.

portorleansriv.gif

POR room lay out

here is the All Star room layout'

All_Star_Sports_Room_View.gif

[All Star Sports room layout

The mods have 54 more square feet.
That means if the value room and the mod room were both 27 feet long, than the mod would be 2 feet wider. That would mean there is enough room for a double sink instead of a single. The mod would also have 2 extra feet of space between the foot of the bed and the TV,

Not much extra room for storage.

Disney's value are a total bargain. You get so many perks (Disney themeing, Disney transportation, and EMH)
Any of Disney's resort guests (even those staying at a value ) are allowed to shop, dine, use the transportation or spa facilities at any of the Disney Resorts. (Of course pool hopping is not allowed.)

Theming does play an important part in liking a certain value.
Some guests really enjoy Pop. They like the giant big wheel, can of playdough or some other giant icon that brings back fond childhood memories.

Me? I enjoy the theming at the All Stars.
I grew up watching Mickey Mouse Club.
Mickey and Donald are important Disney characters to me. That is why the All Stars feel Disneyish to me and why I like them so much.

Here are some of the reasons I choose the All Stars over Pop.

1. It is less crowded at All Stars
Pop has 2,880 rooms in their Classic years section (the section that is currently open) vs. 1,960 rooms at each of the All Star Resorts.

2. Bus rides are about 5- 10 minutes shorter from the All Stars.
All Star Buses----POPbuses--
MK 20 min---- ----25 min------
Epcot 10 min-- -----20 min------
MGM 10 min-------15 min------
AK 10 min----------15 min----
DTD 15 min----------20 min-----

It only 10 minutes to get Epcot,MGM.and AK from the All Stars.

The MK is 20 minutes away .That is the same amount of time it takes to get to the MK from the CR using the monorail!
(Pop is closer to MGM and Epcot than the All Stars but the bus route from the All Star resorts is more direct

3. The beds are more comfortable at the All Stars and you can move them giving you more usable floor space.
The beds at Pop are rock hard and are bolted to the floor.

4. There are 3 food courts to choose from (you can also refill your All Star mug at any All Star Food Court).

5. Gift shops are quieter and service is better at the All Stars because they are separate from the food court.
Having the parcel pick-up for packages delivered to the resort from the parks is behind the counter at the All Stars. It is - fast and convenient but at Pop it is across the building .

6. The parking at The All Stars is better. The lots are huge and there are more rooms located close to the lots at the All Stars than there are at Pop.

7. When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.

The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

Where else can one find Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse at the pool?

Have fun at Disney!

Have fun at Disney!

POP!!! Cheaper...super nice..great bus system..super friendly people...what more could you want!!! :thumbsup2

it was wonderful!! We were in the 90's section and loved it. I haved stayed at both All Star Movies and Sports (2x) and love them too!!! POFQ is my favorite moderate by far....staying there in October BUT if you have a choice of that or going to MVMCP, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with either POP or AStars. Done MVMCP 2x and it definitely is worth going to.....heck, you need to see the snow on Main Street!!!!! Don't miss that!!!!

stay at the PO riverside..if you have 5 or less in your group you will save even more than a suite at All stars

Have yet to stay at POP,(although we will for 3 days on next trip) we have
done All star movies and sports and pofq, pofq is our favorite moderate
but if the saving $$ will help you have a better time we have found nothing
wrong with either all star and our children ds's 18,12 and 5 are all looking forward to trying POP, they actually picked it this time. I say go with your
budget.

Well, I bought the Mickey's Christmas Tickets but have not decide about the Hotels yet. I'm leaning towards the Values because the kids are really excited about them and we really don't spend that much time in the rooms. We would bring a sound machine for night so the kids ( they sleep with them now at home) to help with the noise level. Now it's probably between All star movies and Pop. Why are the beds bolted to the ground at pop?

I would go to Pop. it is very family oriented with many pools, great food court, and a really nice theme. It was great when we stayed there.:cool1:

I think we going to do POP my daughter fell in love with the pictures. I am calling tomorrow to change the resort. Now only if we could get free dining.....I know it's a pipe dream. But we will save over 400 dollars by changing to the resort. Thank you for everyones help.

Are the All-Star resorts clustered together? I checked out AS Movies on the website and the pool looks big, but no slide, right?

Good for you! I booked the Pop for our upcoming trip, but ended up chickening out. I switched to POFQ because I am way too worried that I'll be disappointed in the values. (I was losing sleep over it :rolleyes:, so I thought it best to switch.) I hope that is not the case for you! You'll have to report back about what you think.

I used to be against the value resorts (guess I am bit of snob when it came to Disney resorts) But this time we are going to try Pop just for 1 night the last night of our stay (since we leave the next morning anyway I couldn't see spending the same thing as I am at the WL) My favorite moderate is POFQ as well. I have heard many good things about Pop so I am hoping its true. Hopefully it won't be to kiddie because its just me and DH.

GillieRose - have fun in Dec - that is one of the best times to go and I know you guys will have lots of fun!!

cinderella_mom said:
Are the All-Star resorts clustered together? I checked out AS Movies on the website and the pool looks big, but no slide, right?

The All Stars are all clusteredd together. They are all in easy walking distance of each other. All Star Music is in the center. All Star Sports is to the north and All Star Movies is to the south.

The main pools are big. You are correct they do not have slides but the pools at Movies and Music have squirting fountains built into them. At movies Socerrer Mickey has ths the water pouring out the pails and At All Star Music the water flows from the pistols that Donald and friends have.
(See My Sig Pic.)

When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.

The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

And the Surfs up pool at All Star Sports has giant surf boards.

Here are a few pool photos.

astar3.jpg

All Star Sports pool.

asm_pool2.jpg

All Star Music Donald pool.

asmv20.jpg

All Star Movies Mickey Pool.

Have fun at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter