• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me plan park days around MVMCP and high crowds!

Which park on which day?

• Go to MK on Saturday and deal with the crowds. It is better than dealing with a MVMCP.

• Go to MK on Sunday and do MVMCP. It is worth every penny.

• Go to MK on Sunday but skip MVMCP. Do a fun dining experience instead.

• Other, I'll explain.

Results are only viewable after voting.

nancy drew

DIS Veteran
We are doing a quick trip in December, with 2 days of park time (and a possible additional quick morning at a park). We want to do one day at MK and one day at Epcot. We will be there on a Saturday and Sunday, right around when many (most?) schools get out for winter/Christmas break in December. MVMCP is on Friday and Sunday, but Saturday is marked as an "avoid" day for MK. If we choose to pay extra for MVMCP, what does that involve? From what I can see, it is a holiday themed parade, cookies, hot cocoa, and rare character appearances, right? How long are the character lines? Are the rides open? Any other benefits to the party?

FWIW, last year we went at the same time of year, so I do have a fairly good idea of what to expect as far as crowds. But last year the MVMCPs were over when we arrived, so we didn't have to consider that when planning our vacation. Any input from those who have worked around MVMCP is greatly appreciated!!!

Like most people will say...if you have not done the party at least once...DO IT!!! its worth it for the special events they have. It sounds like if you go on Sunday you will do the park during the day as well??? if so get your rides fix in before 7pm, then take full advantage of the XMAS party events...fireworks and parades a must!!!

To answer your questions, Yes there are character meet and greets. (even hard to find ones like my favorite Scrooge Mcduck!!! (some of the lines can get long, but I find that are not as bad as say the Halloween party when you will wait up to 2 hours to see the seven dwarfs)

Also yes, most of the rides are open so you will be able to get on them with shorter lines then the day, so you can also use this to get in a few missed rides.

Either way...have a great trip...

If you want to see any of the nighttime stuff at MK, you have three choices:

1. MVMCP
2. Get hoppers and go to Epcot on Sat, then hop to MK in the evening just for parade and wishes
3. Deal with the crowds on Sat.

I'm assuming that you're talking the 17 and the 18th, right? The 18th will likely sell out. It WILL be crowded at the MVMCP. However, I think it's something you have to at least experience once. :goodvibes:santa:

If you want to see any of the nighttime stuff at MK, you have three choices:

1. MVMCP
2. Get hoppers and go to Epcot on Sat, then hop to MK in the evening just for parade and wishes
3. Deal with the crowds on Sat.
Good suggestion:thumbsup2, you can try it . enjoy your trip:rotfl:

If you're talking about the weekend of the 17th/18th, I'd avoid the MK at all cost. It will be crazy busy. Because some schools will be getting out, Sunday will be fairly busy as well, but likely a LOT better than Saturday.

As the PP said, the party the night of 18th WILL sell out, even possibly in the near future, so make up your mind as soon as possible.

If you decide against the party, I'd still go to the MK on Sunday and watch the fireworks from the Poly beach.

If you're talking about the weekend of the 17th/18th, I'd avoid the MK at all cost. It will be crazy busy. Because some schools will be getting out, Sunday will be fairly busy as well, but likely a LOT better than Saturday.

As the PP said, the party the night of 18th WILL sell out, even possibly in the near future, so make up your mind as soon as possible.

If you decide against the party, I'd still go to the MK on Sunday and watch the fireworks from the Poly beach.

Yes, the weekend of the 17th/18th will be nuts. It was the only time we saw crowds in 2009, and boy did we see them. :eek: We'll be at MK that night, but we're hopping over just for non-Christmas Wishes & the dessert party. Then, depending on crowds, we'll stay for a bit if they extend the hours.

I know it will be crowded that weekend. As I said, we were there at the same time of year last year, so I know what to expect. The only difference is that last year the parties were done, so that wasn't an issue when figuring out where to go.

I don't think we will watch the parade (I will ask the kids, but I think only one will be into it, and we saw parts of it last year during regular park hours), or the shows (the kids can't ever see them anyway because too many adults are standing in front of them), and only one of the kids likes characters. So other than that, what is the benefit of the party?

I know it will be crowded that weekend. As I said, we were there at the same time of year last year, so I know what to expect. The only difference is that last year the parties were done, so that wasn't an issue when figuring out where to go.

I don't think we will watch the parade (I will ask the kids, but I think only one will be into it, and we saw parts of it last year during regular park hours), or the shows (the kids can't ever see them anyway because too many adults are standing in front of them), and only one of the kids likes characters. So other than that, what is the benefit of the party?

Not sure what weekend you went last year, but the last party was on Sunday the 19th. The following weekend was Christmas itself.

If you don't do parades, shows or characters, then there's really no reason to spend the money on the party. The only reason I might offer is that if the parks are really busy during the day, the party might offer shorter ride lines, especially during the parades and fireworks.

We were there two years ago during that time. The crowds were huge at MK. It's good that you know that. So huge for us that it was hard to maneuver about. We did snag some hot chocolate and watch some of the parade. But we left early.

Leaving the park was a big issue for us. It took a very long time. We took the boat. The crowds were massive. I remember looking at my DH and we just knew it was going to be a very long wait.

*But* that's not to say you will have the same experience this year. It does vary year to year and people's perceptions are different too I guess. I had a conversation with some people on the DIS about it and some said they had the same experience and some said they didn't. I guess it depends on what you consider is *crowded* and maybe what part of the park you are in and what time you leave. There were parts of MVMCP we did enjoy. But it was overshadowed by the crowds. We probably won't do it again unless we go much earlier in the month.

Just my .02. Having said that --

The benefits off the top of my head:

Character pictures (long lines though for us, we skipped it)
Free hot chocolate and cookies
Ticketed event where the rest of the patrons are supposed to leave. (There seemed to be an issue with thinning the crowds to us.)
Parade
Shorter lines for the rides (obviously that didn't work out for us)

We went to MNSSHP and the crowds were much lighter and we actually did get the benefits from going to that. :) The kids still talk about how much fun they had.

Not to diminish our Christmas trip. Overall, it was great fun. Just a different experience.

Not sure what weekend you went last year, but the last party was on Sunday the 19th. The following weekend was Christmas itself.

If you don't do parades, shows or characters, then there's really no reason to spend the money on the party. The only reason I might offer is that if the parks are really busy during the day, the party might offer shorter ride lines, especially during the parades and fireworks.

Never said we went on a weekend last year. We were at MK on 12/20, so yes, after the last party.

We were there two years ago during that time. The crowds were huge at MK. It's good that you know that. So huge for us that it was hard to maneuver about. We did snag some hot chocolate and watch some of the parade. But we left early.

Leaving the park was a big issue for us. It took a very long time. We took the boat. The crowds were massive. I remember looking at my DH and we just knew it was going to be a very long wait.

*But* that's not to say you will have the same experience this year. It does vary year to year and people's perceptions are different too I guess. I had a conversation with some people on the DIS about it and some said they had the same experience and some said they didn't. I guess it depends on what you consider is *crowded* and maybe what part of the park you are in and what time you leave. There were parts of MVMCP we did enjoy. But it was overshadowed by the crowds. We probably won't do it again unless we go much earlier in the month.

Just my .02. Having said that --

The benefits off the top of my head:

Character pictures (long lines though for us, we skipped it)
Free hot chocolate and cookies
Ticketed event where the rest of the patrons are supposed to leave. (There seemed to be an issue with thinning the crowds to us.)
Parade
Shorter lines for the rides (obviously that didn't work out for us)

We went to MNSSHP and the crowds were much lighter and we actually did get the benefits from going to that. :) The kids still talk about how much fun they had.

Not to diminish our Christmas trip. Overall, it was great fun. Just a different experience.

Thanks. I'm vegan so no cookies or hot cocoa for me, but the kids could have some. I don't think it is worth spending $60 per person on hot cocoa and cookies, though. I'll talk to the kids and see if they want to meet characters and watch a parade or do something else.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I wouldn't do MK on a Sat. in Dec. We did a few years ago, not realizing it. And it was seriously wall-to-wall people. But the lines to the rides weren't long. I figured it was lots of locals checking out the lights. We ended up leaving, because we could barely move... and this was at the end of Nov. when I went!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter