Help me plan our last no-kids vacation. Non-disney ideas needed!

Pick something you've always wanted to do that will be difficult with small children. Some ideas: New York City, Paris, London, a cruise, stay at bed and breakfasts throughout New England this fall, Vegas...

I have never been but I saw pictures of my friend's recent trip to the Dominican. The beaches were gorgeous. It looked romantic too. :love: They offer all-inclusive packages at very good prices.

nbodyhome said:
Paris is my first choice too - you can get hotels also in Paris for under
$100.00 per night (or rent an apartment), get a weekly carte orange for the metro, and the museum pass for unlimited entrances to many museums for a number of days. A boat ride down the Seine is about $10.00, and it wonderful at night. Later this year, I plan to sign up for the Fat Tires bike tours through Paris and possibly Versailles (we are planning to go in September).

I love Paris!

Another vote for Paris. It is beautiful, romantic, and there is plenty to do.

Thank you all so much!! Lots of great ideas for me to explore!

I'd lovve to go to Paris, but we have to go to Rome and Florence first.

I don't think I'd like skiing, but there are a bunch of places around here that we could try for cheap.

DH has been on a cruise and he doesn't think I'll like it, but I think we might give that a try.

We're not big for gambling, but I know Vegas has a lot more to offer.

I'd love an all-inclusive resort deal. I'll keep an eye on skyauction.

Thanks again everyone!!

I was just going to suggest florence to you! why if you have to go there don't you go then?? I have been to florence three times and would go again in a heartbeat, IMHO it is more romantic than paris, i find paris beautiful but a little on the cold, somber side, again that's just me. Florence is compact enough to be able to walk to most attractions and just have a very relaxing vacation. The food is excellent as well. You can also take a quick trip on the train to some neat small towns in the tuscan countryside.

If you are worried about cost, I think 3000 dollars is doabe as long as you stay in cheap hotels and maybe even in private rooms in hostels. I always stay in hostels in my vacations and have met many couples. You will have a blast!! great food, beautiful art and architecture and a very warm people to welcome you.

YOu can also think about venice, which is a bit more expensive or even rome which is not really romantic per se but it's my favorite european city by far

stanncie said:
I was just going to suggest florence to you! why if you have to go there don't you go then?? I have been to florence three times and would go again in a heartbeat, IMHO it is more romantic than paris, i find paris beautiful but a little on the cold, somber side, again that's just me. Florence is compact enough to be able to walk to most attractions and just have a very relaxing vacation. The food is excellent as well. You can also take a quick trip on the train to some neat small towns in the tuscan countryside.

If you are worried about cost, I think 3000 dollars is doabe as long as you stay in cheap hotels and maybe even in private rooms in hostels. I always stay in hostels in my vacations and have met many couples. You will have a blast!! great food, beautiful art and architecture and a very warm people to welcome you.

YOu can also think about venice, which is a bit more expensive or even rome which is not really romantic per se but it's my favorite european city by far

I was researching Italy and couldn't figure how we'd do it under $5000. Staying in a hostel kinda weirds me out, but I guess I shouldn't give up on it completely. I just can't see going to Italy without going to Rome, Florence and Venice though, which raises the price. Plus airfare is awful out of anywhere near Cleveland.

haha! why does it weird you out?? is it due to the movie hostel?? all my friends bug me ever since that came out cuz they know i love hostels ;)

Like i stated before you don't have to necessarily stay in a dorm room, hostels have private rooms usually only one or two though, these rooms are like a basic hotel room with your own bathroom. Also there are cheap hotels to consider. These are not fancy at all , just a place to rest your head but that is enough in such a beautiful city imo.

If you are seriously considering going then i suggest heading over to the forum on the guideforeurope site, you will have to google it cuz this forum won't let me post the url , it's mostly a backpacking forum but they also give lots of help for people staying in cheap hotels, the people there are very knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction.

Also i don't see why you couldn't visit both rome and florence at least they are not far by train. IF you really want to go to italy you can do it!! The last time i visited europe it was for 2 1/2 months and only spent 5,000, this was without my rail pass and flight which were 1100 and 480 respectively. Again, i'm a very frugal and practical traveler , i realize most people are not and prefer certain comforts, so it's really up to you.
Check out the forum and then see what they say :)

Don't knock hostels! We stayed in some lovely hostels when we were in the UK. We were able to get private rooms in many (we didn't reserve ahead of time), and several rooms were much nicer than my own bedroom at home, and certainly nicer than any Motel 6 I've stayed in!

My vote is Oxford, England. I spent a semester there and fell in love with it. There are lots of inexpensive things to do, and many great sights are only a short train ride away. You can be in London in about an hour, Stratford-upon-Avon in less than an hour, the Cotswolds in 35-45 minutes, Windsor Castle, Warwick Castle all about an hour...it's a great home base. If you want more info on the UK, send me a PM and I'd be glad to tell you more.

I also like the idea of going to Italy. My friend went on her own the summer before her senior year of college. She had a marvelous time and found it pretty affordable. She went to all the above mentioned cities. She stayed at small hotels/B&Bs/Hostels and took all kinds of public transportation. She did it all on her own, and used lots of info from local people she met.

Thanks!

Hostels don't really bother me that much. I guess I'll look more closely at Italy.

I was looking at skyauction for carribean stuff and man are there some cheap deals!

You also mentioned national parks and hiking. My favorite vacations before kids were in national parks. On one trip my husband and I hiked across the Grand Canyon, not everyone's idea of a vacation but I would love to do it again.
When I was expecting my first DD we did a more laid back trip driving and day hikes through "the Grand Circle" parks. We flew and rented a car in Vegas and drove to Denver. Along the way we stopped in Zion, Grand Canyon North Rim, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches and Rocky mtn national parks.

Before kids, my DH's and my favorite vacations were to Key West (I'd like to go back but I'm sure it's more touristy now), St. Thomas (honeymoon) and to California. For our California trip, we flew into San Francisco, drove to San Luis Obispo (sp?), drove up Highway One, visited Hearst Castle, stayed a couple of days in Monteray in a great hotel with a rooftop jacuzzi (visited the Aquarium, Carmel, et), stayed a few days in San Francisco (business part of trip), went to the wine country, then spend a few days at Sequoia National Forest (HUGE redwood trees, and great hiking).

For a short trip in Ohio, I highly recommend Hocking Hills- if you are into the outdoors. Lots of great trails to hike and some nice cabins to stay in. http://www.hockinghills.com/ If you like to camp, there are some nice campgrounds also.

Thanks PrincessMom98 and ttfn3!

All those ideas sound great. Maybe I can fit in a couple different kinds of trips. Hiking and nature for me and beaches for DH.

I always wanted to visit all of the sites in NYC without children, but we didn't get that vacation in on time... :)

#1 - Outer Banks of North Carolina - Absolutely Amazing, Relaxing, Beautiful
#2 - Cruise - Southern Caribbean (sp?)
#3 - Land Tour of Alaska - Lived there for 3 years and Loved it!!! Can't wait to go back for a visit. You'll love everywhere from Seward or Homer to Denali and Fairbanks. Take the train from Anchorage north or Fairbanks south and get off and back on wherever you wish. Walk right up to and climb onto a glacier (Matanuska Glacier). This is really an amazing state to visit!

We have been to Vegas about 15 times and obviously we love it. There is as much or as little as you want to do. You can hang out by the pool to relax or you can rent a car and go to Red Rock canyon or Valley of Fire to hike and enjoy nature. You can walk the strip and see some really amazing sights. The food is fantastic as are the shows. You can do a Vegas holiday very cheaply or it can be very luxurious and expensive. Las Vegas is the type of holiday that is what ever you want it to be.
:banana:

I think I've decided on the Mexican Rivera. There's a bunch of amazing deals thru skyauction. We'll alos probably go to Hocking Hills for a few days in the fall. It looks amazing, right up my alley and only a few hours away. Who knew? :)

You have all given me enough ideas to last forever! Luckily my future babies have awesome grandparents who would be more than willing to take care of the little ones while mommy and daddy go off and play somewhere. Plus, I've got to leave some things for when I retire.

So now I just have to lose about 20 pounds! :teeth:

I hope this thread has helped some other people too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter