Help me plan a weekend in Chicago

hinodis

DIS Veteran
I am turning 50 and DH asked me where I want to go for the weekend. I have never been to Chicago , so I picked there! I need some ideas on where to stay and what to do. I do need to keep this very budget friendly, DS is having a destination wedding next month. DH is a government employee and I found a good rate at the Residence Inn downtown but I have NO clue what area that is in or what area I would want to stay in:confused3 Please help:)

We stayed at the Ramada Congress Plaza on Micigan Ave with a lakeview, it was really a great view just not close the the big shopping!

We like Shedd Aquarium and Nave Pier. On a past trip I went to the Sears Tower, it was fairly neat.

You need to get some Garret's popcorn, it is awesome and we ate at the Cheesecake Factory.

Chicago Lakefront/River cruise. Did one a few years back, loads of fun. The one we did took us out to Lake Michigan and down the river. I think we did the Wendella one; they have been an on line discount offer.

We stayed at the White Hall, a lovely boutique hotel. Also loved Gibson's Steakhouse.

I also highly recommend a city tour. Helps give you an overall feel of the city.

Lincoln Park Zoo is right downtown. It's a great little zoo and can be completely done in just 3 or 4 hours. Navy Pier is a must. Lots of things to do, and you spend as much or as little as you want!

We go about every other year (love it!) and I would definitely suggest the following:
Wendella cruises (have done both the architectural and just the speedboat on the shoreline cruise-both are wonderful)
Navy Pier
Art Institute (if you are into art at all, this museum is wonderful)
Shedd Aquarium
Museum of Science and Industry

I also enjoy the Natural History Museum but would skip it if limited on time.
To save money, they do have free days for most of the museums, just check their websites. They also have a city pass. We joined our local science museum and since it was over 90 miles from Chicago, I was able to get in free to the Museum of Science and Industry, Natural History Museum, and the Children's Museum.

Have fun!

I have stayed at a couple of the Residence Inns downtown and found them to be fine.

There is soooo much to do - you just need to start reading and pick out your preferences.

I would work in a boat tour at some point - those are fun and very interesting. I prefer the ones that leave from State and Wacker area over the ones that leave from Navy Pier.

I love shopping or browsing from State street all the way up to the end of Michigan.

Liz

Art Institute is fabulous and Navy Pier is a nice place for a walk. If the weather is nice, our kids really enjoyed just taking a water taxi from (Adams Street bridge, I think) to Navy Pier. You see so much lovely architecture that way and its much more fun than a regular cab. I think it was about $20+ dollars for all 5 of us.

Loved the Shedd Aquarium and the Navy Pier! It's also fun to ride the El and to just walk around the city. The Sears Tower is neat at night. We went to a place called Tommy Gunn's Saloon where they did a dinner theater and you had to give a password at the door. it was like a speakeasy and there was a raid at one point. Lots of fun.

Only things I can think of that hasn't been mentioned are Ed Debevic's and Ghiardelli.....Plus don't forget to budget for parking. CRAZY expensive.

Search online...they used to have one day a week free at the Aquarium, but I'm not sure they do anymore. I think you can still buy a pass for the Aquarium, Field Museum, and Planetarium.

They offer free walking tours based out of the Water Tower...the Guides are locals who volunteer. I think you can book those in advance, but I'm not sure.

See if you're interested in whatever is playing at the Steppenwolfe while you're there. Call and ask if they still do day-of tickets. In the late 90's a friend and I met up in Chicago for New Year's Eve. They were running Steve Martin's play Picasso at the Lapin Agile then...it was sold out for it's run. But, the day-of, I went early to stand in line and got two seats for just $10 each. The program is an outreach to people who otherwise wouldn't get to see their shows.

There is a fun "gangster" bus tour you can take...and boat tours that aren't too expensive.

Oh, and don't forget the art museum...it is wonderful. And, I don't think Navy Pier costs a fortune.

For fun, consider having a pizza/pizza day. Lou Malnati's and the UNO Chicago Grill argue about who invented deep dish. Go to one for lunch and the other for dinner, and you can be part of the argument, lol!

Another place to try is the Walnut Room at Macy's. (How sad that Marshall Field is gone!) Go for lunch and it is very affordable...and allows you a beautiful view of the area.

There used to be a Hot Tix kiosk near the Chicago Theatre. You might consider trying there one day...or more than one day...just to see what tickets they have open for the night. Used to be their prices were about 50% off the regular price. Sometimes when you're going cheap it pays to be flexible!

As for cheap travel, they sell bus passes. You can get pretty much anywhere in the Loop by bus...and the passes are very inexpensive.

Oh, and the Sears Tower isn't called that anymore...it's the Willis Tower.

I'm sure there's lots more...the visitor's bureau will send you tons of info and coupons if you just ask!

Have fun!

I LOVE Chicago -

Please think about the 4* hotels on Priceline - go to http://www.betterbidding.com/
to see what people are getting - and where and how much! Its so great - I've gotten the Hyatt for under $100, as well as the Palmer House (my favorite - its an old styling amazing place!)

Do the museums - get a City Pass!!
http://www.citypass.com/chicago

Know that to park a car in any of the hotels is extremely expensive! We take a train to Chicago, then take a bus to the hotels -

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/transit/
there's a better link - but dh just got here!

my favorite tip is to go to Water tower shopping, then head over to the John Hancock for a cocktail - its a different elevator than the one you pay to go up to - and the lounge is a floor above the lookout! and then be sure and check out the views from the bathroom!!

we prefer the Go Chicago card over the citypass as it's a better value but it depends on what you are going to do.

http://www.smartdestinations.com/chicago-attractions-and-tours/_d_Chi-p1.html?pass=Chi_Prod_Go

My favorite things to do are (in no particular order)

Shopping on Michigan Ave
Buckingham Fountain
Millennium Park
Art Institute
Sea Dogs boat ride at Navy Pear
Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower)
Hannock Bldg
seeing a game at Wrigley
Navy Pier
Shedd Aquarium
Field Museum (houses Sue the dinosaur)

Favorite Food:
Giordano's - Pizza
Frontera Grill
Garrett's Popcorn

You won't reget going to the Museum of Science and Industry! And a Cubs game if you can get tickets!!!

Walk along Michigan Ave, go into some of the flagship stores
Navy Pier
Boat ride (from either the river or Navy Pier)
Garretts, and yes the line is long, but so worth it (caramel and cheese corn)
Water Tower, American Girl store if interested
John Hancock observatory (on a clear day)
Hersey's store and or Ghiradelli's
Any museum, based on your interest
Lou Malnati's pizza
Macy's on State St
Shops at North Bridge
Drive along Lake Shore Drive
Ride the Red Line to Addison and walk around the Wrigleyville area

Can't comment on hotels as I live 2 hours from the city, so day trips for us. Enjoy your trip

I knew this was the place to go for information!! Thank you so much, I was almost going to change my mind about going there but after reading these comments I am now looking for a place to stay! I want to do a boat ride and navy peir for sure! I am checking into taking a train there. Is it easy to do the train and take a bus?

I LOVE Chicago -

Please think about the 4* hotels on Priceline - go to http://www.betterbidding.com/
to see what people are getting - and where and how much! Its so great - I've gotten the Hyatt for under $100, as well as the Palmer House (my favorite - its an old styling amazing place!)

Do the museums - get a City Pass!!
http://www.citypass.com/chicago

Know that to park a car in any of the hotels is extremely expensive! We take a train to Chicago, then take a bus to the hotels -

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/transit/
there's a better link - but dh just got here!

my favorite tip is to go to Water tower shopping, then head over to the John Hancock for a cocktail - its a different elevator than the one you pay to go up to - and the lounge is a floor above the lookout! and then be sure and check out the views from the bathroom!!

Thank you for all the links. This was so helpful!

DEFINITELY get a Chicago City Pass! It is a deal if you are going to be going to some of the main attractions. Also, I would recommend getting a bus pass. I believe you can get a 3-day unlimited bus pass at any Walgreens and it is around 15 per person. Your hotel concierge may be able to get them for you also but we always just pick them up at Walgreens downtown Chicago on MI Avenue.

I knew this was the place to go for information!! Thank you so much, I was almost going to change my mind about going there but after reading these comments I am now looking for a place to stay! I want to do a boat ride and navy peir for sure! I am checking into taking a train there. Is it easy to do the train and take a bus?

We have an excellent public transportation system here. All of the major rail lines are connected to most anywhere in the city you want to go. It's also a very walkable city, if you're up for it. Are you taking Amtrak in?

Oh my! I need help! I just don't know what area I should stay in. I would like to be within walking distance to the magnificent mile and Navy Pier. I have no clue where the MM even is. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter