Help me pick out a resort!

nickapoohiluvu

Earning My Ears
We're going in December 2013. We were originally thinking of a Disney Cruise, but the sailing dates and when the kids get out of school just don't quite mesh, so we're looking at Disney World. I also need help picking out *just* the right resort! We stayed at Coronado Springs and liked certain aspects. We liked how quiet it was and the rooms felt so relaxing. We got a room very close to a bus stop, which was nice, but it was a hike to the main building. We also really liked the Pepper Market for breakfast. It was an awesome buy for a QS dining credit.
We do have a couple special requirements: 1) DH has a minor disability and we want to limit the amount of walking to and from the bus stops and the main building of our resort since he'll be hoofing it a lot the rest of the time. The entire resort being compact would be a plus. 2) We like a quiet paradise to retreat to after a long day at the parks. 3) My daughter has food allergies, so I'll likely want a non buffet restaurant that the chef can work with us to get her a safe breakfast. She had no problems eating at the Pepper Market the last time we were there, but she was not yet diagnosed with FA. 4) A queen sized bed for my husband and I are a must and, if there is not the availability of a roll away, we will probably bring a blow up mattress for our youngest. 5) Have to sacrifice on hotel a bit for the Deluxe Dining Plan, again to cater to food allergies
So far I am considering: Coronado Springs with a Preferred Room, Port Orleans Riverside with a Preferred Room, Port Orleans French Quarter.
What is out: Unless we get a ganga deal for dates between Dec. 14 and 23 2013 for five days, the Deluxe Resorts are out (I will pull the kids out for the last week of school before Christmas if the rates are right). I am, however, secretly hoping for a 30 percent off code so we can get one of the resorts on the lake by Epcot, Coronado Springs Standard Room and Caribbean Beach Resort. The Value Resorts are also out.

I am open to suggestions! And, even suggestions for a Deluxe that will work, just in case I get one of those mythical, awesome PIN codes. Thanks!:coffee:

I hVen't stayed at FQ but understand it to be compact. We stayed in casitas building 2 at CSR and it was very convenient to the pepper market. WDW is known for catering to people with food allergies so I don't think you will have problems at any eating establishment on WDW property. Perhaps ask on the disabilities board about specific resorts.

I'd consider WL too it's going to be your cheapest deluxe and it's beautiful at the Holidays. Plus everything is in one building so it makes it easier. How come you have to get Deluxe Dining? Disney will cater to food allergies on any plan or OOP meals

I love CSR and POR both. You know you like CSR too so unless you can get POR preferred room I'd probably stick to CSR. I only said POR since it's much more compact for your DH's needs.

Thanks for the ideas. Reasoning behind Deluxe Dining Plan - I have found, in our short journey with food allergies, that sit down restaurants have been better able to work with food allergies. Since I know we will want two TS meals a day, it makes a bit more sense to buy into the Deluxe Dining Plan. I'll also be able to justify booking Cinderella's Royal Table and other two credit "splurges" that I might not otherwise do.

Using Dates 12/10-12/14, since I can't price out my dates just yet.

POR - $3121.47 (preferred room, Deluxe Dining Plan)
POFQ - $3008.99 (standard room, Deluxe Dining Plan)
WL - $3620.99 (standard room, Deluxe Dining Plan)
CSR - $3144.03 (preferred room, Deluxe Dining Plan)

I might do parkhoppers, which would add $242.84. Wilderness lodge does sound appealing...

If you go every year or every other year, you should look in to becoming a DVC member. You would be much happier and with what you will spend you cold be 40% or do paid up on a bunch of points especially if you went to a non Disney seller.

I would say POFQ, the rest can be really spread out if you don't end up in a room near the main building. Of course if you're not concerned about that and just want a room close to a bus stop or a parking lot, then you could do POR too there are some good rooms there.

POFQ is my suggestion... we really enjoyed staying there. Nice and compact, plus Downtown Disney is a boat ride away with a lot of dining options.

I like the idea of DTD being a boat ride away! That's why I liked most of the hotels around the lake in Epcot - They just hopped the boat to the park. Does the POFQ boat make it to Epcot?

Wilderness Lodge!! Wilderness Lodge!! Wilderness Lodge!!
It feels like you're staying in an outpost of Frontierland.
You'll LOVE it!

Another vote for the Wilderness Lodge if you can!! It's so beautiful at Christmas time.

Another perk is that you can take the boat over to MK. Since you're on the Deluxe Dining plan, there are a lot of character meals at MK and at the monorail resorts that you would be close to, as well as signature dining restaurants. Even at the buffets chefs will work with you to cater to your needs.

I stay at Port Orleans Riverside resort and i love it . it is nice and close to everything:dance3:

I think your best bet would be Port Orleans Riverside. I would rank French Quarter and Wilderness Lodge right behind. My reasoning for Riverside is that it meets all of your criteria as long as you get a preferred room. The preferred buildings are not that far from the main hall: dining, shopping, transportation,e tc. Riverside has it's own TS restaurant. They recently renovated the rooms and all have two queen beds (at least in the Plantation buildings, which are preferred). Also, it's very nice and quiet there.

I would actually choose FQ over Riverside because the transportation is better and the resort is much smaller and easier to traverse but it only has a food court, no table service restaurant. Although...you could walk over to Boatwrights to have some of your meals.

Wilderness Lodge has everything you are looking for. If you get a room close to the lobby that eliminates long walks. The only issue with this resort is the price. It will cost you hundreds more for your stay. I hear it's VERY nice during Christmas but there are a lot of things you can spend that extra $500 on.

So, overall I would have to say Port Orleans Riverside. If you don't mind the walk to Riverside from French Quarter that is a good bet. BUT if you don't mind spending $500 more then definitely go Wilderness Lodge.

Our Family loves OLD KEY WEST......................comfortable, layed back rooms, beautifully landscaped.spread out and quiet........great bus service to the outside and a inner bus route.:thumbsup2

Look it over......!!!!

AKK

Thanks for all the replies! It's all been helpful. And I think we have come up with the list, in order of preference...

1) Wilderness Lodge, Bunk Bed Room but only if we get a nice percentage off
2) POR, preferred room. I like having the trundle in AB for my youngest
3) POFQ

As much as I liked CSR, I think its just too spread out. Thanks again everybody! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Thanks for all the replies! It's all been helpful. And I think we have come up with the list, in order of preference...

1) Wilderness Lodge, Bunk Bed Room but only if we get a nice percentage off
2) POR, preferred room. I like having the trundle in AB for my youngest
3) POFQ

As much as I liked CSR, I think its just too spread out. Thanks again everybody! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

just FYI POR no longer has the trundle bed. When they renovated they installed a small Murphy type bed in place of the trundle beds

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter