Help me pick my next camera!

Chelley00

DIS Veteran
Our Canon SX20 has bitten the dust and I need to replace it.

I've researched until I've given myself a headache for weeks but I cannot decide if going to a DSLR is a good idea for us. I've always avoided DSLRs mainly because they freak out DH :) and having a point and shoot is better for him. However, I've come to realize that he never takes pictures even with the point and shoot :lmao: He's happy just using his Iphone.

I've played around with all my friends DSLRs and have borrowed a Canon Rebel to shoot a soccer game. I shoot a lot of kids sports (indoor and outdoor soccer, gymnastics, swimming and who knows what the 8 year old will add as he gets older) but I would also need a good "walk and take pictures" camera for trips.

The SX20 was great for soccer pictures and Disney/other trips and zoom outside but was awful for indoor spots.

I have inlaws who complain they never have any ideas of what to get me for Christmas so I'm sure I could put a lens or two on my list, but it couldn't be too expensive.

Is there a point and shoot that would do good for indoor sports or do I really need to invest in a DSLR? I've been reading about indoor sports needing a 70-200mm lens but I think that's way out of my price range. I've been looking at a Canon T3 packages that comes with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses. Would that work for what I want it to do? Would a 70-300mm lens do better? Do I need to go up to a T3i? Would a Nikon be better? I've just looked at Canons because that's what I've always owned and I thought it would eliminate some of the learning curve.

I'm sorry to sound so clueless. I don't need anything professional really. I just want something that will take good pictures of the kids sports and be easy enough to use for every day type pictures. I'm interested in taking classes and putting forth the work to learn about the camera, but I'm not able to invest a lot to make it an expensive hobby.

Indoor sports ca is basically the most technically demanding types of photography....the sort of thing that drives pros to spend thousands to tens of thousands to get great shots.

I would not start with a "plain" T3, you'll take advantage of the better low light capabilities of the "i" cameras or better (ie T3i )

You also want "fast" lenses.. This is measured by a low f/ Pay attention because many lenses get darker (higher f/) at zoom...and fast zooms are very spendy. Some people will make do with a "nifty fifty" a 50mm f/1.8 they are an affordable portrait lens, but its fast/bright if you don't mind being stuck at 3x zoom.

Run far far away from the Canon 75-300mm lens. The 55-250 is a much better quality lens and in the same price range.

Canon or not... go play with them in the store. One isn't better than the other and some people have a strong preference to the ergonomics of one line over another. Also consider Sony and Pentax if you're going DSLR.

As far as getting a new camera and is a DSLR right for you, understand that an entry level DSLR with the standard entry level lenses isn't going to be much better capability wise than a good quality point and shoot. In some cases the point and shoot might be more capable even. And also a lot of getting good indoor sports shots is knowing how to get the shot.

The 70-200 f/2.8 is the kind of lens you go for if you're getting serious about indoor sports. However, it's not a necessity if you just want decent snapshots of your kid playing. I've been seeing some great shots on my Facebook feed lately from volleyball mom friends using point and shoots. Again, knowledge plays a huge role here.

Either way, you better throw out a budget and some additional features you'd like or you won't get rec's that are really targeted to you.

My opinion I would definitely go to the Canon T3i over the T3. I'll second photo chicks opinion on the Canon 55–250mm lens for the money you can't beat it. With a little shopping if you don't mind refurbish lenses you could pick one up for around $125.00. My wife is a Canon shooter she loves it, I've got an Nikon I think that's why we have a happy marriage, she doesn't touch my lenses. :rotfl2:

My opinion I would definitely go to the Canon T3i over the T3. I'll second photo chicks opinion on the Canon 55–250mm lens for the money you can't beat it. With a little shopping if you don't mind refurbish lenses you could pick one up for around $125.00. My wife is a Canon shooter she loves it, I've got an Nikon I think that's why we have a happy marriage, she doesn't touch my lenses. :rotfl2:

Also consider buying used lenses from places like Craigslist, etc. As long as they are good quality lenses, do not look abused and work well I'm plenty comfortable buying used glass.

Chris

I agree with the previous posters. Indoor sports is a challenge (horrible lighting with bad color casts, relatively low light levels, etc). The 55-250 is a great lens for the money but you will need to bump your iso up a bit to get a decent shutter speed indoors as that lens is an f/4.0-5.6. Outdoor daytime sports it will do fine, night games you'll have to bump up your iso just like the indoor sports.

Like photo chick said, some point and shoots perform pretty well. The Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200 is pretty decent and has some good reviews. It has a constant 2.8 aperture and a 25-600mm focal range. Image quality is good for web and small prints, and noise is supposedly good from iso 100-800. Higher results in more pronounced noise reduction and less detail...

I really enjoy my SONY RX100. With its small size and excellent image quality. Currently on the DSLR front the Nikon D5100 can be had for $480.00. Add a 50mm 1.8 lens for a little over a hundred and you have a nice kit. Can do some indoor sports. You may need to get a bit close to the action.

A dSLR works best for indoor sports due to superior focus tracking, less shutter lag, and better low light abilities.

Basic zoom lenses -- like the very good 55-250 -- do not have very wide apertures when zoomed in, meaning they aren't good in low light/fast action.

Zoom lenses with fast apertures, such as 70-200/2.8, are extremely expensive. ($1000+)

The most cost effective way to get great indoor flashless shots, is to invest in a nifty fifty lens. 50-1.8. Such a lens is very affordable with a wide aperture. Great for fast action and low light. It doesn't have much telephoto reach so you need to get close to the action and/or crop.

Brand matters little. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax -- their entry level dslrs are very similar ultimately with slightly different pros and cons. A few more differences as you move up to their mid level and higher end camera bodies.

A dSLR works best for indoor sports due to superior focus tracking, less shutter lag, and better low light abilities.

As a general statement I'm going to disagree here. Some of the newer point and shoots have better tracking than an entry level DSLR with a kit lens. And even with the higher end DSLR's there's issues, especially if you're still using entry level lenses. Then you have the perceived difference in depth of field with a point and shoot that actually works in the cameras favor when it comes to focusing issues... it's not as easy as saying DSLR's are better. They can be exponentially better, or not.

Then again, a lot of the focus issues that plague people with any camera can be easily remedied by learning the cameras auto focus system well and by learning to anticipate the shot rather than tracking and spraying.

As to whether you should go DSLR or get another point and shoot, another thing to think about is the convenience factor. You said your DH is happy with his iPhone camera. I would guess that's because it's simple to operate and convenient to carry. I feel that way about my iPod camera. I also have two different point and shoot cameras - one that is very small and simple, and one that is larger and a super zoom. They each have their place - small and simple for the days when I don't feel like carrying a lot of stuff, and the super zoom was indispensible when I went to the air show (just ask the other people I was with who tried to take photos with their iPhones ;)).

I did just buy my first DSLR. I had a film SLR that I really loved, but I hadn't felt a need for a DSLR in my camera line up. But there are some situations that the point and shoot cameras just aren't the best choice for, and that the DSLR will handle better. Will I use it all the time? No. Sometimes one of the point and shoot cameras will be all I need, and sometimes I won't need more than the iPod. Some days I will be OK with carrying the extra weight and equipment, and some days I won't. But it's nice to have the option.

If you do decide to go with a DSLR, keep in mind that it can be set to operate automatically, making it as simple as a point and shoot to operate - in case the DH decides to take a shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter