Help me pick my dates?

StayClassy

Mouseketeer
so I bought an annual pass in January and I'm wanting to plan one trip before my pass expires next year, and I'm having a hard time picking the best time for me to go so I thought who better to get advice from then you guys.

I'd like to go during cooler weather meaning anything below 70... And when it's less crowded. I'm probably going to stay a week so any set of days you could suggest would be much appreciated.

The earliest I'd like to go is September... So any suggestions from September to December are welcome.

Basically I'd like but can deal without:
-cooler weather, could definitely deal with warmer weather if crowds are drastically low...
-lower crowds, again would like a historically low time but I understand Disneyland is unpredictable...

Also haunted mansion and small world are faves of mine so avoiding their down periods would be a plus if possible.

I've always heard November is a good time crowd wise... And not sure about early December...

Open to any & all suggestions... All answers are appreciated. :-) thanks

After ton of research, we are going the second week of Sept.
Before and after that there's either rides down or stuff going on that impacts our fun in the park or it's just a lot more crowded. The following week isn't too bad but is predicted to be a bit more busy.
Temps during that time are normally very mild but not too cold at night.

I wouldn't say temps are mild in September! Last year we were there the 11-14 and it was about 95-100 everyday! September in So Cal is hot! Even October is!

It's February and it was 80 today!

Being S. Ca, it can be hot any day of the year but your chances for moderate temps (upper 80's with low humidity) are pretty good during Sept. as well as low crowds and high number of functioning attractions.
If you want to almost guarantee temps in the 70's you have to go between Nov. and March or Apr. - which have their own drawbacks.

Last edited:
I agree with tlovesdis, temperatures in September are HOT. I agree that crowds are lower ( except weekends when halloween starts), but definitely expect hot weather. If you want low crowds, not too hot, and your favourite rides to be up, then i would choose november. Just avoid thanksgiving, and watch out for dapper days and marathon weekend.

September is one of the most hottest months down there...last two have been brutal. It was around 95-100 the whole week last September when we were there with 30 to 40% humidity...we felt like we were melting the whole time. It also tends to be quite busy with the kickoff of Halloween Time right around the 2nd week

Anything but september. We were there the last week of September 2014 and it was miserable for a good chunk of every day. We were seeking out a/c, shade, and cool drinks so much that it kind of took over our schedule.

There really isn't any time during the period you mention when you're likely to get everything you want. The parks tend to be pretty busy starting in early September (the start of HalloweenTime) through the end of the Holiday season. There are a few periods when things might be slightly less calm, but that is between the two "seasons" when you might encounter attraction closures.
  • Early September (Before Labor Day): Labor Day is usually the last day of the summer season. There is the Disneyland Marathon that weekend (starting on Thursday), so high(ish) crowds are fairly likely. Haunted Mansion will likely already be closed (since mid-August) to have the overlay installed.
  • Early September (After Labor Day Until the Start of HalloweenTime): Depending on when HallowenTime starts there will either be one or two week during this period. The parks are likely to be fairly quiet, but the weather can be highly variable (I'd go prepared for warm to hot temperatures). The Haunted Mansion will likely still be closed and so might Space Mtn depending on when you go.
  • September (After the Start of HalloweenTime): Weekdays will probably be okay, but weekends are likely to be very busy as guests come into to see the HalloweenTime offerings. In late September, they also start the MHP, so that impacts evening entertainment offerings and operating hours in DL. Haunted Mansion (and Space) usually re-opens at the start of HalloweenTime.
  • October: IaSW usually closes mid-month to have the holiday overlay installed. The weekends are usually pretty busy with various events (Gay Days, CHOC Walk, UEA) and there can be some spill over into the weekdays. Jungle Cruise may also close towards the later half of the month to have it's holiday overlay installed.
  • Early November (After HalloweenTime before the Holidays): After the end of HalloweenTime, but before the start of the Holiday Season is likely to be your best bet in terms of moderate crowds and okay weather (although it can still be warm/hot). There is a chance the IaSW and Jungle Cruise will be closed to have their holiday overlays installed. IaSW will likely open in early November, slightly ahead of the official start of the Holiday season. Fall Dapper Days in Nov 6 this year, so expect high(ish) crowds on that weekend.
  • Late November: Once the holiday season starts, there are likely to be crowds. The kick-off weekend coincides (usually) with the Avengers Marathon so expect high crowds that weekend. IaSW and HM are both likely to be open (with their holiday overlays).
  • Early December: The weekdays are likely to be better than weekends, but there really isn't any quiet times in December anymore. There will be crowds whenever you go and the weather can be great or it could be rainy. Haunted Mansion and IaSW are both likely to be open (with their holiday overlays).

HydroGuy has a thread with historic weather information for DLR: http://www.disboards.com/threads/detailed-weather-data-for-dlr.1711391/#post-23004158

In terms of whether it'll be "still too hot" that depends on how much is too hot...if you're looking for temperatures consistently under 70's, I think you're unlikely to get that in September. September is very variable...I've been there when it was fairly nice (highs in the mid-70's) and when it's been miserably hot (highs in the low-100's).

Thank you so much everyone, I definitely got a lot of valuable information I never thought of...

I'm thinking of considering somewhere after November 6th... a few of you confirmed my thoughts so I'll just have to manage with crowds... For cooler dates.

I've got a lot of time to still plan so knowing me I'll change my mind a hundred times before I make a solid decision. Thanks everyone, I've got a lot to take into consideration.

Also,
is September the official end of the 60th? And if so how long does it usually take for the castle to return to normal?

Predicting So Cal weather is rarely going to work out the way you want it to. Here are the historical average high temps:
http://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/92803:4:US

It's an average, so it's could be higher. Notice the average for February is 71. It was 89 yesterday.

Here's the high temps for last November:
http://www.wunderground.com/persona...storyTable#history/s20151101/e20151130/mmonth

You can see that until the last week of the month it exceed 80 degrees for at least one day every week. I was only below 70 for 3 days the entire month. The average may be lower, but with shorter park hours, most of the lower temps will be when the park is closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter