• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me pick a resort

pascagoulabeach

"Doc"
DVC Silver
We are planning a trip in September and would like some help picking a DVC resort.

I have found availability at OKW, SSR, AK, and VWL. I am sure each one has it's pluses and minuses.

We have stayed at OKW twice and BLT once. We liked all the room at OKW and the closeness of the pool at BLT. We will have a car and don't mind driving/parking when going to the parks but would like to avoid it if the other means of transportation work out. There will be times that my mother-in-law stays behind with my daughter and we would like a resort that has things to do that you can walk to.

I have heard complaints about the long walks at AK to get the bus, etc... Don't know much about SSR or VWL.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

If you like animals, you will really enjoy AK.
All the other resorts are variations on a theme--best location, type of pool, etc.
Only AK has the savannas.
I've stayed at Jambo twice, the second time last December. I have just transferred my video to DVD, and finished watching it the other day. It was a great reminder of just how fantastic AK is.

We love BWV!

It is so close to Epcot and the studios. It is so easy to sneak over to Epcot and watch performers or eat in Canada, UK, France, or Morocco. You are within walking distance to miniature golf and a marina with sea racers. There are games on the boardwalk, surrey bikes, and the ESPN club. There are also carnival games and performers on the boardwalk. Oh yeah, there is also a dance club and a dueling piano bar. There is also a community hall and the super cool Bellevue Lounge. We've also had fun watching weddings take place at the resort near the lake. We've also ventured out to the Boardwalk Inn side and checked out the outside of the 2 story honeymoon cottages.

The parking can be a problem unless MIL has a handicapped parking pass. Its more of a pain than anything else. Some people complain about the busses, but I've never really had a problem with it.

We love both the value of getting standard view rooms AND the absolute awesomeness of the Boardwalk View.

The pool has a pretty cool slide, but also has a pretty weird clown attached to it.

I :love: :love: :love: Boardwalk Villas.

Go with SSR if you and your spouse want to head over to DD for shopping or dinner. Plenty to do there.

Go with AKV if you enjoy animals and that kind of ambience. AKV also has nice retaurants.

We stayed at VWL for the first time last year. It's a quiet resort, and we enjoyed that aspect of it.

Enjoy!

AKL - Beautiful resort, great restaurants, love having the animals right there. Negative - you have to take a bus everywhere!

OKW - bigger rooms, quiet, close proximity to DTD.

SS- Walking to DTD. Alot to do at DTD and see there especially shopping! To us it seems more like condos rather than that resort feel. Very large so depending on what building you are at, it can be a long bus ride. Having your car would be a plus. Main pool and then quiet pools by the buildings. We've stayed at Congress Park and it was 1/2 mile to get to the main building to pick up packages or get to restaurants.

VWL - nice resort. Not all that bad getting to bus area. Boat to MK. Nice pool. Nice feeling when you walk in and look around at everything in the lobby area.

Depending on where you are planing on spending most of your time can help you. If you are planning on MK, VWL would be my choice. Your mother -in-law and DD might have a fun time doing the parks together or going resort exploring at Poly and GF. Maybe a special afternoon tea at the GF.

You can't go wrong with any decision - after all - it's Disney!

We are planning a trip in September and would like some help picking a DVC resort.

I have found availability at OKW, SSR, AK, and VWL. I am sure each one has it's pluses and minuses.

We have stayed at OKW twice and BLT once. We liked all the room at OKW and the closeness of the pool at BLT. We will have a car and don't mind driving/parking when going to the parks but would like to avoid it if the other means of transportation work out. There will be times that my mother-in-law stays behind with my daughter and we would like a resort that has things to do that you can walk to.

I have heard complaints about the long walks at AK to get the bus, etc... Don't know much about SSR or VWL.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Beach club and beach club villas. Not only can you swim in the best pool on property but you can walk to Epcot and Hollywood studios as well as the boardwalk. We love it!

OP, how old is your DD? If she is very young, then I would vote for AKV so that she and Grandma could spend time watching the animals. AKV Kidani has a nice water play area for young children. Request a room close to bus stop and you hopefully will not have long walks. If your DD is older, then my vote goes to SSR. The walk or boat ride to Downtown Disney would be a great way for Grandma and your DD to spend some time together. OKW is lovely but not all that much to do beyond the pool and community hall. VWL is very peaceful and Grandma could do a boat trip to Fort Wilderness for something fun to do with your DD.

I am not sure about the other resorts but I didn't think the walk to the buses was very long at AKV . The bus rides itself took quite a while to get to the parks about a half hour . I stated at jambo house so maybe it's diffrent at kiddani

There is so much to do at AKV that you would hardly have to go to the parks. Not much to walk to from there, but if you have a car, that's not an issue.

Of your choices, OKW has the best bus service to the parks, and AKV has the most to do at the resort . VWL will be the closest to the MK if that is something that is appealing to you.

I think AKV would be your best choice. Request a room near the bus stop. I love being able to park underneath the building and keep the van somewhat cooler in the shade. Take any bus (except the DTD one) to go over to Jambo House from Kidani, then take the DTD one to get back. A lot to do there.

SSR would be my next choice. Parking is outside of your building. Close to DTD either by walking, bus or by the boat. You can get around the resort by hoping any bus just like at AKV.

OKW is similar to SSR, but nearly all buildings are WITHOUT elevators. You could end up on the third floor of a building and have to walk the stairs every time. This may or may not be an issue with small kids and the MIL.

I am not sure about the other resorts but I didn't think the walk to the buses was very long at AKV . The bus rides itself took quite a while to get to the parks about a half hour . I stated at jambo house so maybe it's diffrent at kiddani

The same buses take you from Kidani AND Jambo House. Kidani picks up and drops off first, then Jambo. I think for OP, AKV would be a great resort fo you. It is beautiful and there are so many fun activities to do, even beyond the animal watching (which I could sit there and do for hours). The buses aren't quite as bad as some make them out to be. It took 21 minutes to get from Jambo to MK and that park was the furthest from the resort, the rest of the parks took 10-15 minutes, tops. Have fun!

I haven't stayed at all of the resorts you were asking about, but we have stayed at VWL and AKV. We were extremely underwhelmed by VWL. We LOVE the main lobby at WL but when we got into our villa, DH and I thought, "This is it?" I guess I was expecting more and it was a little run down. We had to call the front desk a couple times. BUT, it is close to MK. Though, if you have a car, you may not even use the boat to get over there. We more recently stayed at AKV and the hotel and rooms were beautiful. We did have to take the bus everywhere which we didn't mind too much (even with a 5 month old and stroller). It depends how much you have to lug around. If you're light travelers to the parks, the buses won't be too much of a hassle. We never had super long waits for buses either.

HulaMinnie said:
I haven't stayed at all of the resorts you were asking about, but we have stayed at VWL and AKV. We were extremely underwhelmed by VWL. We LOVE the main lobby at WL but when we got into our villa, DH and I thought, "This is it?" I guess I was expecting more and it was a little run down. We had to call the front desk a couple times. BUT, it is close to MK. Though, if you have a car, you may not even use the boat to get over there. We more recently stayed at AKV and the hotel and rooms were beautiful. We did have to take the bus everywhere which we didn't mind too much (even with a 5 month old and stroller). It depends how much you have to lug around. If you're light travelers to the parks, the buses won't be too much of a hassle. We never had super long waits for buses either.

Just as a quick note... If you ever have an issue with your villa, do not call the front desk -- walk down to the front desk. When you call the front desk from your villa, you get an offsite call center.

VWL -- you can take the boat to the Contemporary for TOTWL for fireworks in the evening. Or go to Ft. Wilderness. No need to drive to MK. Connect to monorail for other resorts or Epcot. Play in the sand. Choose between quiet pool or big pool. Enjoy the gorgeous lodge or the quiet DVC building. Kids activities.

Any one of those would be great -- all would work for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter